Eye Of Judgement

I think it would be nice if they could make a sort of "master-card" (not the credit card). This thing would store your card collection/decks internally in a strongly encrypted fashion for "security... cough, DRM..." of course. When you play, the PS3 would read the card via Wifi to see your deck, hand, etc... The card would have a display on it and a few basic controls, so you could select the card you want and play it. The nice thing here, is that with the PS3 you can enhance the experiance, but there's no technical reason why you couldn't play it anywhere. Sort of a mini-console/card thingy I guess.

What if you could load all your cards onto the PSP, and control the battle from there...and have your (HD)TV play out the battle in real time. Come to think of it, that could work for any battle sim game, like Kessen or something...

Anyways, if they could speed up the animations a bit, and maybe implement another method of initiating attack rather than touching the card, I would really be interested in this game. As it stands, if the Eye Toy comes standard with all PS3s sold, then this card craze could really take off! Virtual card trading! :cool:

xbdestroya said:
I was there one foot from the camera, with a giant screen in front of me, with cards being played - and one out of every two plays would read incorrectly. Maybe it was just the calibration of the camera in my demo. But I mean, I used to be a big Magic fan (and I'll take it to anyone with my Blue/Black deck), but after seeing what I saw, the idea of every turn taking five times longer than just playing the cards would require... that turns into a nightmare in my mind.
Obviously work to be done. But I was really talking about the concept being playable, as long as the options are there to keep it speedy for those that want speedy. I admit it is a worthless gimmick that contributes nothing to gameplay (except the terrain seemed randomized), but it's a cool gimmick! And sets a precedent for virtual pets etc.

Really, this is an area Sony want to spearhead as it seems something specific to PS at the moment, but MS look set to get in on the action too. For casual gamers this EyeToy stuff should be really enticing.

Never actually played these dard games in live, and am not that aware of the general rules and such, but isn't one of the biggest things in these card games that you can win cards forom your opponent?
How are you supposed to receive your opponent's card in a game like Eye Of Judgement???

It depends how you play, but winning cards isn't the be all and end all. I've played a few such games (Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Magic) with my friends and you buy cards to make your deck. We never actually traded or lost cards. As long as such a game has lots of cards, rare cards, and sells them in overpriced packs that suckers like me buy into to get dozens and dozens on the common critters, it'll keep the card players happy. Or addicted but miserable.

Wasn't this demo'ed at the press conference? I thought it was a novel idea but everyone was more concerned about bashing the other demos and PS3 price point that it got lost in the noise. I always thought it was a good idea.

I'd kind of turned a blind eye to this after the conference, but those screenshots are a lot more visually pleasing than that demo indicated. This could be interesting..

I thought this was one of the more interesting concepts at the Sony press conference. The number of animations that would be required to pull off a card game like this would be staggering but i think its a great concept.

Just put in my 2c (although being NZ I guess I mean 10c) into this. I've been working on AR based projects for the better part of eternity so....

I had a look at the video. There are a few things that come to mind.

First. The dragon scene is fake.
This is my opinion, however there are a few things I feel back this up:

1: the dragon becomes visible with half the card occluded. Both binary patterns on each end are at least 50% occluded to begin with.
2: the tracking is too accurate. Given 1, the tracking is *far* too accurate. Even if they are doing sub-pixel tracking, I don't feel it's possible to be that accurate with a partially occluded card.
3: the graphics don't line up perfectly with the edge of the video. There is a half-pixel line of video at the bottom edge in perticular.
4: at one point, there is mild graphical corruption and you see geometry extend out past the edge of the monitor.
5: the shadow of the dragon isn't correctly cliped to the edges of the card all the time. This may of course be a code bug though.
6: i forget what 6 was. it was something though.

I also wonder about the 'biting of the finger' bit :)

I guess it's possible they do have some insanly good tracking, but I doubt it.
Given they obviously faked the second AR demonstration (the various transition effects extend off the edge of the monitor), I think the only thing to judge is the last use of AR. In this case, the card is only detected (not tracked) once it has been placed on the table for at least half a second. This I feel is far more realistic for this sort of application of AR (where you want to be 100% sure you know which card you are tracking).

I'd like to know if anyone had a chance to try it out. If it really was this accurate then I take all this back :)

Overall it was impressive animation, effects, etc, but the tracking really wasn't as brillant as I expected. It probably won't work without the background table gameboard sheet either.

But then again it's nice for AR to get more exposure. A friend of mine won't be too happy though, being employed to research AR table top gaming... :)

At the end of the day it's nothing special. You could do this on any old PC. People have tried too.
In perticular, these guys made me laugh. Dispite the complete lack of actual hardware, and using a non commercial tracking library...

Last edited by a moderator:
Titanio said:
I'd kind of turned a blind eye to this after the conference, but those screenshots are a lot more visually pleasing than that demo indicated. This could be interesting..

I think an interesting point about its visuals and interactivity is that it could potentially be upgraded through a newer version of software on disc (though you will pay for it), rather than upgrading your entire stack of cards :)

Downloading patches wouldnt be out of the question. I suppose mainly to fix bugs and update the game with new cards made after the game shipped?

Bad_Boy said:
Downloading patches wouldnt be out of the question. I suppose mainly to fix bugs and update the game with new cards made after the game shipped?

Yes, good point there.

Graham said:
I had a look at the video. There are a few things that come to mind.

First. The dragon scene is fake.
This is my opinion, however there are a few things I feel back this up:
If you're talking about the trailer, yep that looks faked. But the E3 demos looked real. There's the conference vid, and a demo vid linked to in the other thread but which I can't find.

As for tracking without the board, couldn't they mark the cards for orientation?

New video. http://www.gamersreports.com/media/545/videos/
you can see how the interactivity with the creature on top of the card works.

edit:
I now see what xbdestroya meant with the long animations, I hope you can disable that, it would get old after a while. They should atleast make it interactive, let you move the camera around or somthing.

Last edited by a moderator:
It'd be a mindnumbing oversight if you couldn't disable these long anims. FFX had that option on summons years ago and surely isn't the first example.

Back