External vs internal PSUs *spawn

Not everyone follows the standard apparently, as I have a 2010 LG USB charger that only does 0.7A.

They are probably just playing it safe.
They are allowed to do that, the 1.5A spec is optional, as long as the device knows it from the data pins if it can or cannot draw more power. It's kind of an addendum.

Doesn't matter if the charger puts out 0.7 or 1.5A, assuming the voltage is the same; it just takes longer to charge at 0.7A. :)

So here is my dream future. A PSU open standard, shared by multiple eletronic manufacturers. It has standardized functionality and size (maybe half a dozen power/size/price variants like disposable bateries) Devices that use it, have spare space to fit it within its volume, yet it is easily detachable for repair, and can be used externally with an aditional cable if for some reason a user wants that.
Also, the future consoles will also save the game and system state to HDD so it can turn off completely and still have quick restart.
Does my dream future proposition have any disadvantages?
I kiiiiiinda like that. I am not a big fan of large bricks as PSUs but a manageable one could make it more palatable, as I rather prefer not to have internal components that might cause a serious electrical failure along with extra heat to the components.

It would be laptop size, preferably for me.

I rather more NFC charging options.

My vision of the future is when its bed time I put my phone on my night stand and my surface and they just charge because the night stand has NFC charging built into it.

No more plugs.

Its the one thing I love about my note 3 , I just put it on its pad and that's it.

What's so friggin hard about just plugging in a cable?

"Wireless" charging is a waste of electricity and resources. It should be banned, completely.

Its the look of having wires everywhere.

"Gaming and entertainment" is a waste of electricity and resources. It should be banned, completely.

It'd also be nice to have just one power item (NFC charging pad) that can charge multiple devices versus having to have one wire (and attendant power plug/transformer/wall wart) for each device if you wanted to charge multiple devices at the same time.

It also comes in handy if you had multiple charging "pads" around the house, so you'd NEVER have to worry about a device running out of charge and/or waiting for a device to go from half charge to full charge.

Imagine a world where your game controller just charges anytime you put it down. Off to the bathroom? Put it down and it just starts recharging. Off to grab a bite of dinner, ditto. Want to grab a drink, again it's charging while you do it. Versus, hmmm, do I want to bother to plug this damn thing in each time I go and do an activity?

Is it absolutely necessary? No, wired charging is just fine. Just like you don't NEED to take a plane to go from say Moscow to Paris. You could take a train and some busses and save the world's energy resources as well as saving a lot of money. But it sure is a heck of a lot more convenient to take that plane. :p

Are remote controls needed for household electronics? Nope. What's so hard about getting up and just changing the volume/channel/whatever? Sort of like...

It's the same thing. I imagine you never use remote controls? ;) You know, because it's not that hard to just manually change the volume/channel/whatever on your electronics devices...

Regards,
SB

Plus compatibility. I can have a dock for one device so it doesn't look unsightly, but then I need a different for a different device because they keep changing connectors or the sizes are a little off. that said, if wireless charging is significantly less efficient, something I'd never thought about, it is a step backwards in terms of reducing energy wastage.

Ultimately, I want fuel cells working, and recharging to be a matter of a moment's squirt of new fuel. That or cold fusion or Thorium fuel-cells.

The current wireless charging tech is borderline useless, because it's not universal, and it practically needs to be in contact and aligned on the charger. What's different from a docking station for each device?

Next gen is magnetic resonance, and it should work very efficiently at a distance of 12 inches, with multiple devices. You'd put an invisible puck under your coffee table, and anything that is somewhere on that table would get charged. The biggest hurdle is having a universal standard, otherwise it's dead.

EDIT: awkward typo was awkward.

Last edited by a moderator:

"Wireless" charging is a waste of electricity and resources. It should be banned, completely.

Is someone really going to buy a PS4 because it has an internal PSU vs an external one?
I did.

Well, not only because of that of course, the bone isn't even available in my country yet, but it did factor in heavily. I hate external power bricks, especially huge power bricks with thick unwieldy power cables going from them like the xboxes have had.

Power bricks lay about on the floor taking up space, looking unsightly, sucking up dust and generally being a blight to my eyes as well as my general disposition, merely knowing it's there. The wuu is particularly egregious in this regard, considering it needs TWO power bricks, which is just insanely stupid, but hey - Nintendo!

I'm confused. First you say that power bricks & cables laying on the floor take up space & are unsightly. However, when somebody prefers a wireless charging system(where you don't see any cables or power bricks) then they are a waste of electricity & should be banned.

Go home dude, you're drunk. LOL

Tommy McClain

I think what he means is that "wireless" charging needs a power brick, a wire, and a cradle... why not just plug a simple wire?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think what he means is that "wireless" charging needs a power brick, a wire, and a cradle... why not just plug a simple wire?

Because not all solutions need a cradle & wires are unsightly?

For the PS4 owner that bought the console because it preferred not to see a brick and a cable, one would think he would prefer something like that in the video.

Tommy McClain

Turning a piece of furniture into a giant docking station doesn't make it less than a power brick, a cable, a docking station... and a furniture around it to hide the mess. And it can only charge ONE device, at a very specific place. There's a cable coming out of that furniture and it connects to a wall socket... with a power brick.

I have a dozen devices from multiple companies to charge. I really want this and the real tech we need is coming, but it isn't out yet. Also compatibility with all devices is going to take a long time, let alone a ubiquitous power delivery system that replaces the 120v/220v standard. We've never even been able to standardize the voltage... think about it. Heck we are struggling to even replace the horrible Edison Screw light bulb from 1900.

You're going to have a cable to your "wireless" charger also. And an unsightly pad to put your device on. You're also going to need a charging receiver in your portable device, making it thicker, heavier and more expensive (and necessitating a fragile, scratch-prone plastic casing rather than a nice metallic one.) And on top of that, it'll waste power as well.

"Gaming and entertainment" is a waste of electricity and resources. It should be banned, completely.
That's a baseless assertment, as well as easily disproven, as gaming and entertainment produces enjoyment, hence not a waste. "Wireless" charging on the other hand is a complete and utter waste. It requires far more in components and materials than a simple charging cable, and it is inefficient. Double whammy in badness. Fucking useless shit.

Oh! We are very close to a Tesla versus Edison discussion, it's going to be epic...

I'll start with... Edison was an asshole. :LOL:

Back