Everyone wants Xbox360 Premium, No one wants Xbox360 Core System

Ben, I’m not sure why, but you appear to keep presuming stuff about me that you don’t really know.

What am I presuming? I thought I had conditionalized any assumption I had made.. if not I apologize. I know that you are younger then I am by quite a bit(by what you have told me in the past) and perhaps I am recalling incorrectly but I had been thinking you were middle school age when 32x was released.

I happen to be a 32X owner as well, which I bought for Virtua Racing at the time – however, both formats failed because, unlike the base unit, they just couldn’t hit the critical mass that made them worthwhile for developers/publishers, even Sega gave up on 32X pretty quick.

Sega never gave them anything resembling a chance. It was a giant blunder for Sega from day one. They, more then anything, are why Sega is a third party developer today.

And, FYI, Street Figher 2 exceeded the 32Mb cart size.

I have the file here..... it doesn't? Was there something changed for the UK release?

It may be your impression that the Core is here to protect MS’s margins, and that may well be part of the case (certainly now)

Well I am talking about now :) IF MS had taken the same approach this gen that they did last gen the Premium would be $299- obviously that was bad business and hence Core is here to protect margins.

Let's not get ridiculous. MS will not be splitting their userbase.

.......? Done and over with.

No. If you could read, it's for MMO's, and maybe some other games but there are none currently released.

Can you help me out with my problem, because I seem to be having a hard time reading this-

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=63913

Perhaps it's my inability to read the way they write European dates properly, my illiterate self seems to be reading that as being out for over a week now and I also seem to be under the impression that it isn't a MMO at all- in fact it looks to be about as far away as you can get. I understand it must be due to my inability to decipher the written word, so perhaps you can read it and help me out here.

Bottom line: attach rate for HD-DVD will be too low to warrant HD-DVD only games

So you are saying that the attach rate for HD-DVD will be lower then the current 360 installed base? I am making no prediction there as I haven't seen a price point. If it comes in @$99 I would think it would fly off shelves. If it comes in @$500 then this entire discussion has been a waste as it will be DOA.

LOL to the entire chapter and not least to the less than 6% thingy.

You want pics? I have my camera right here and can have this thread open. In no way am I saying I'm anything resembling Arnold in his 'Pumping Iron' days, but I will be d@mned if I ever turn into a fat @ss :)

but I'm still able to lift my lazy ass from the couch every 10h if needed.

Take a misson that brings you from Imperial City to Sadrith Mora and back again. Every ten hours is one thing, every five minutes is something else entirely.

Last edited by a moderator:
BenSkywalker said:
So you are saying that the attach rate for HD-DVD will be lower then the current 360 installed base?

LMAO. Dude you have some serious reading comprehension problems.

It's irrelevent how the attach rate compares to the current install base, it will still be a tiny fraction of the overall install base, which mean any publisher who didn't release a DVD version would be pissing the vast majority of their profits away.

It's irrelevent how the attach rate compares to the current install base, it will still be a tiny fraction of the overall install base, which mean any publisher who didn't release a DVD version would be pissing the vast majority of their profits away.

How 'tiny of a fraction' is the question? Using that same logic there wouldn't have been games for the XBox or GameCube that didn't hit the PS2 last gen you realize- after all they only had a fraction of the installed base so they were pissing the vast majority of their profits away.

BenSkywalker said:
How 'tiny of a fraction' is the question? Using that same logic there wouldn't have been games for the XBox or GameCube that didn't hit the PS2 last gen you realize.

No that would be using your own, bizarre screwed up logic. Releasing games on multiple platforms is COMPLETELY different than releasing game on different disc formats.

And it's not really much of a question with regards to the fraction, look at any post-launch peripheral in the history of consoles. it will be a small fraction of the userbase without a doubt.

No that would be using your own, bizarre screwed up logic. Releasing games on multiple platforms is COMPLETELY different than releasing game on different disc formats.

I was saying they should have only been released for PS2 using that logic- obviously porting to a different platform is a lot more time intensive then porting it to a segmented experience.

And it's not really much of a question with regards to the fraction, look at any post-launch peripheral in the history of consoles. it will be a small fraction of the userbase without a doubt.

Dual shock and memory expansion pack to name a couple that were freakin huge. I was in EB the other day and they had a mem expansion pack for the N64 for the original retail price- double what the console itself cost now. Also- Nin had a multi platinum hit that required the mem expansion pack(Majora's Mask)- that was a 'failed' platform that also had the onus of requiring post launch additional hardware(ended up around 2.5Million on a global basis IIRC, although it has been a while...... three million according to this- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Majora's_Mask ).

BenSkywalker said:
You want pics? I have my camera right here and can have this thread open. In no way am I saying I'm anything resembling Arnold in his 'Pumping Iron' days, but I will be d@mned if I ever turn into a fat @ss :)

Yes I want pics with your shirt off and some proof that it's you and not your neighbour! and I'm only partly kidding.

compared to the 8.6million for Ocarina of Time. Funny how that worked out.

No title for the XBox has sold that much- ever. That is also not taking into account that Majora's Mask sucked and OoT was one of if not the greatest game ever made(GameRankings still has OoT as the number one all time game).

Yes I want pics with your shirt off and some proof that it's you and not your neighbour!

The pics I can do..... not sure how I can offer the proof?

BenSkywalker said:
Sega never exceeded their initial stated limits for carts btw(Vectorman was the largest at 32Mb).
Super Street Fighter II was 40Mb (5MB); I'm not sure if there were any larger than that though.

BenSkywalker said:
Why not take the next step? Why not say why bother with DVD drives at all? Let's just put the title onto a couple dozen CDs? Why wouldn't developers do that? ;)

Because there is a DVD drive on the 360?...

True, Halo moved a massive 5.5 Million units while WoW has only managed a paltry 6 million. WoW has changed the rules concerning MMORPGS. FFXI certainly hasn't proven that popular, but I find it highly unlikely that Squenix is ignoring what is going on there.

And Halo 2 had sold until Nov 05 over 7 million copies. So what are we going to do now, play the number game? As you say FFXI isn't near as popular and if I remember correctly that is the case from more or less every other MMORPG as well. WoW is an extreme and definitely an exception AFAIK to the other MMORPGs. If Squenix want a piece of the cake they should target more the PC gamers, since it is those that are the hardcore MMORPGers.

It is not possible to avoid the fact that MMORPGs are not that big, especially on consoles. And MS has clearly said that you need a memstick or HDD for playing online, if you want to call that a fragmented userbase so be it, bit I think you forget that the user base is already fragmented depending if they have internet access or not. What do those that don't have it care if they can play MMORPGs or not on their version of the console?

How 'tiny of a fraction' is the question? Using that same logic there wouldn't have been games for the XBox or GameCube that didn't hit the PS2 last gen you realize- after all they only had a fraction of the installed base so they were pissing the vast majority of their profits away.

As long as they are viable why not. That is what counts, and many, atleast xbox1, exclusives were more than viable and returned huge profits. Yes the idea of exclusive games on a platform/format that will not return any profit is dumb and that is where HDDVD games come in, unless you have a huge HDDVD attach rate that is.

I was saying they should have only been released for PS2 using that logic- obviously porting to a different platform is a lot more time intensive then porting it to a segmented experience.

Sure, on the PS2 they could make the most money, but having it on multiple plaforms they can get even more money...

Just to make sure I'm up to speed here, the argument is that just because MS fragmented the 360 market by offering a HDD as well as a memory card, it therefore makes just as much sense for them to fragment it further by making HD-DVD another standard format for releasing 360 games?

There are degrees of fragmentation. Any type of peripheral, such as a memory card is a kind of fragmentation (e.g. PS2 market is fragmented between those with memory cards and those without) as is some kind of game benefitting from multiple controllers when a console ships with only one. It only become significant beyond a (frequently shifting) point.

If releasing an Xbox game on HD-DVD and DVD wouldn't result in a worthwhile increase in sales of the game (ignoring for a moment whether MS would allow this anyway) why would a publisher do it?

And Super Street Fighter 2 on the MD was indeed 5 MBs. Those were the days (I traded in about 5 games to put towards it)!

Xpuntar said:
Wrong! At least for PS2. I know for certain and I did see a 4CD Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance once.

In Hong Kong maybe? There's no such animal.

Edit: What you actually saw was probably Baldur's Gate II for the PC (4 discs) and mistook it for BGDA.

Last edited by a moderator:
function said:
Just to make sure I'm up to speed here, the argument is that just because MS fragmented the 360 market by offering a HDD as well as a memory card, it therefore makes just as much sense for them to fragment it further by making HD-DVD another standard format for releasing 360 games?

There are degrees of fragmentation. Any type of peripheral, such as a memory card is a kind of fragmentation (e.g. PS2 market is fragmented between those with memory cards and those without) as is some kind of game benefitting from multiple controllers when a console ships with only one. It only become significant beyond a (frequently shifting) point.

Yep.

If releasing an Xbox game on HD-DVD and DVD wouldn't result in a worthwhile increase in sales of the game (ignoring for a moment whether MS would allow this anyway) why would a publisher do it?

Not to mention HDDVD exclusive games...

Tap In said:
Ms has stated in a couple of interviews explicitly; "there will be no HDDVD games"

Interview: To the possibility that there may be disappointed fans and developers, Allard responded, "I don't know who we've let down. There isn't a game on 360 that you can't play without a hard drive, so I think that's a good thing for consumers."

rounin said:
Interview: To the possibility that there may be disappointed fans and developers, Allard responded, "I don't know who we've let down. There isn't a game on 360 that you can't play without a hard drive, so I think that's a good thing for consumers."
well at the time, he was correct. :LOL: ;)

rounin said:
Oh of course. Its always ok for MS to be playing the misleading game ;)

yea I'm still a little pissed at them for that one. I would have preferred they had been up front about the two skus. :cry:

I understand the reasons for the Core and I can appreciate the marketing/economic reasons, but implying that there would be a standard HDD led to a disappointment when it was revealed.

Before we get too far ahead of ourselves on that one though, let's be sure sony doesn't decide closer to launch to do the same thing. :oops: ;)

Back