Err... Audigy 4?!

I never understood people's fascination with EAX. Sounds way worse than fake to me. Then again, I could tell a HUGE difference in stereo quality between kx drivers and regular Creative drivers.

Eax4 hd is acceptable I think. It provides basic operations like, uhm, blending of effects between "rooms". Of course knowing that Creative has prevented wavetracing of sounds by buying Aureal sucks. :devilish:

Guden Oden said:
From the specs list:
32-bit digital processing, which maintains a theoretical 192 dB of dynamic range
Maybe Creative decided, after upwards of eight years, to finally upgrade the ET10k DSP to 32-bit, but I wouldn't hold that for certain, or even probable... It's probably the same 16-bit chip as before. Seems they're going to whore out as many variations of their Audigy cards as they did with the Live series. :LOL:

Lol, such ignorance. The EMU10Kx chips have always been 32-bit DSPs.

CosmoKramer said:
Guden Oden said:
From the specs list:
32-bit digital processing, which maintains a theoretical 192 dB of dynamic range
Maybe Creative decided, after upwards of eight years, to finally upgrade the ET10k DSP to 32-bit, but I wouldn't hold that for certain, or even probable... It's probably the same 16-bit chip as before. Seems they're going to whore out as many variations of their Audigy cards as they did with the Live series. :LOL:

Lol, such ignorance. The EMU10Kx chips have always been 32-bit DSPs.

Bull. It's got some 24-bit units in there, but the effective inout/output of the AD/DA's is 16-bit.

_xxx_ said:
Bull. It's got some 24-bit units in there, but the effective inout/output of the AD/DA's is 16-bit.

Bull. Even the first 10K1 was a 32 bit DSP. This means that the effects (EAX and what have you) are calculated with 32-bit precision, regardless of the AD/DA.

Got it?

Noone's talking about calculations, It's about input/output signals which are 16 bit. Audigy 2 can do 24 bit, but it's crappy. Even if it calculated with 256 bits, it couldn't produce anything above 24 bit at the outputs. Got it?

For your pleasure...

Hm...so you didn't get it. The discussion is about the EMU chips (EMU10K1 and EMU10K2). These chips are 32-bit DSPs with 24-bit I/O capabilities, end of story.

Read and learn

The fact that Creative choose to use 16 bit input (driver limitation) and 18 bit DACs on the original Live has got nothing to do with the EMU chip. The current Audigy2 ZS use the full 24-bit I/O capabilities of the EMU10K2 chip connected to the Cirrus Logic CS4382 8-channel 24/192 DACs.

I see that we're talking the same, but with different aspects.

Audigy 2 is a 32 bit DSP, that's ok, but it produces either 16 bit or crappy 24 bit signal at the output. OK? So it might as well be 1024 bit DSP, it still wouldn't help to change anything considering THE SIGNAL QUALITY.

_xxx_ said:
Audigy 2 is a 32 bit DSP, that's ok, but it produces either 16 bit or crappy 24 bit signal at the output. OK?

No, the Audigy2 is not a DSP. The Audigy2 is a soundcard model that happens to use a DSP called EMU10K2. An important distinction to make seeing as how the new EMU branded soundcards also use this DSP and let me assure you that nobody is complaining about their signal quality.

So it might as well be 1024 bit DSP, it still wouldn't help to change anything considering THE SIGNAL QUALITY.

This is an entirely different discussion. The reason the Audigy2 has poor signal quality (only in 44.1 kHz mode, not in the 48/96/192 kHz modes) is not related to the bit depth of the DSP but its poor resampling algorithm.

Err...the topic says Audigy, not EMU10K2.

Nitpicking here or there, Audigy line of cards have reasonabla 16-bit output and crappy 24-bit output. EMU cards may be much better, but that is not the topic here ;)

BTW, those KX drivers seem to improve stuff for Audigy1/2 line as well, but I'll stick to my Envy24 equipped DMX24/96 for DVD/music/recording and Audigy for games only.

Err...you commented on my comment to Guden Oden...which was about the EMU10Kx chips...which are used by several soundcards, including the new EMU chips.

But nevermind... :)

Pretty impressive results! How much do they cost (avg. street price)?

Edit: nevermind, just saw it on their page

T2k said:
fyi: IT'S LOOPBACK.

Doesn't say too mcuh.

It's EXTERNAL lookback. If I have used internal lookback, you'll see perfect results (completely flat frequency response and ultra high s/n ratio).

pcchen said:
T2k said:
fyi: IT'S LOOPBACK.

Doesn't say too mcuh.

It's EXTERNAL lookback.

No shit....

If I have used internal lookback, you'll see perfect results (completely flat frequency response and ultra high s/n ratio).

WHich I posted long time ago with my former WaMi Rack 192x soundcard.

It's still local loopback, doesn't worth too much.
It's pretty pointless to draw conclusions on local loopback.

_xxx_: go to a music store and ask them to do it for you before you buy anything: get some really good stuff like Apogee and use its output.

T2k said:

?? I don't get what you mean.
Of course you can argue numbers are pointless. But these numbers are indeed the result of the combination of the DAC and ADC on the card. Without professional test gears like Audio Precision, this is the best we can do barring real listening tests.

_xxx_: go to a music store and ask them to do it for you before you buy anything: get some really good stuff like Apogee and use its output.

Apogee? Prehaps just way too expensive for non professional use.

pcchen said:
T2k said:

?? I don't get what you mean.
Of course you can argue numbers are pointless. But these numbers are indeed the result of the combination of the DAC and ADC on the card. Without professional test gears like Audio Precision, this is the best we can do barring real listening tests.

I meant that local loopback isn't really tell you anything, it's kinda 'lame' to use it as a reference. :)

Apogee? Prehaps just way too expensive for non professional use.

? I said and use its output - what part you don't get? :?:

Back