There is like zero incitament to upgrade to M1 or M2 for gaming because barely anything is Apple Silicon optimised, so it runs through Rosetta 2. Energy savings on the other hand and battery life (if it's a notebook) have probably "converted" more users.

However all developers surely have gotten an Apple Silicon machine by now which is sure to skew the data.

I see the newest Geekbench scores for M2 Max have it clocked at 3.68GHz and gives it a 2027 Single-Core Score and 14888 Multi-Core Score.

So the M1 and M2 are still slower than the old Macs in games on Steam? I don't keep track so I wasn't aware of this.

Regards,
SB

So the M1 and M2 are still slower than the old Macs in games on Steam? I don't keep track so I wasn't aware of this.

Regards,
SB
No, they replaced slow Intel processors with integrated graphics for the most part.

It's just that everything is written for x86 and not Aarch64 but it is still faster despite having to be translated because the high-performance cores are very good.

RE:Village, Baldur's Gate 3 and No Man's Sky should be fully optimised for Aarch64 and Metal from the ground up.

No, they replaced slow Intel processors with integrated graphics for the most part.

It's just that everything is made for x86 and not Aarch64 but it is still faster despite having to be translated because the high-performance cores are very good.

RE:Village, Baldur's Gate 3 and No Man's Sky should be fully optimised for Aarch64 and Metal from the ground up.

So basically for people that game on their Mac, it's still a pretty sizeable performance improvement in games?

Regards,
SB

So basically for people that game on their Mac, it's still a pretty sizeable performance improvement in games?

Regards,
SB
It obviously depend what you upgraded from.

The Mac Pro is still quite capable and can be outfitted with multiple dual VEGA II 32GB HBM cards and a 28-core CPU.

If you were used to integrated Intel graphics, then the move to M1 or M2 is significant. If you're running games that are 80x86 code, you may not see any (or much) difference on the CPU side because of need to cross-compile 80x86 to ARM but many games that have native Mac ports released in the last year through Steam or the Mac App Store are increasingly packaged with ARM-optimized binaries.

M2 Pro & Max announced.
M2 Pro:
10-12 CPU cores (8P 4E, M1 Pro is 8-10 cores, 8P 2E)
Up to 19 core GPU (M1 Pro is 14-16)
Up to 32GB unified RAM, 200GB/s (same as before)

M2 Max:
Same CPU as M2 Pro
Up to 38 core GPU (previously 24-32)
Up to 96GB, 400GB/s (previously up to 64GB, same BW)

Built using a second-generation 5-nanometer process technology, M2 Pro consists of 40 billion transistors — nearly 20 percent more than M1 Pro, and double the amount in M2
The next-generation 10- or 12-core CPU consists of up to eight high-performance cores and four high-efficiency cores, resulting in multithreaded CPU performance that is up to 20 percent faster than the 10-core CPU in M1 Pro.
[M2 Pro] Graphics speeds are up to 30 percent faster than that of M1 Pro
The [M2 Max] GPU is even more powerful with up to 38 cores, and is paired with a larger L2 cache. Graphics speeds climb up to 30 percent faster than M1 Max
Both M2 Pro and M2 Max include Apple’s next-generation, 16-core Neural Engine, capable of 15.8 trillion operations per second, and up to 40 percent faster than the previous generation.

So the M2 Pro gains an additional 2 Efficiency CPU cores and 3 GPU cores, while the M2 Max gains 6 GPU cores only. Seems Apple has hit a scaling wall due to the process node.
They are still on 5nm but the GPU is clocked higher in the M2. They have lower GPU cores due to redundancy (for higher yields) as their GPU needs a lot of cache. The M2 Pro certainly have a 20-core GPU and the M2 Max must have a 40-core GPU. Update: Apparently not. They appear to have exactly 19-cores and 38-cores respectively.

Both M2 Pro and M2 Max now get 4 High-Efficiency cores. That's why they call it a 12-core CPU design, consisting of a cluster of High-Efficiency cores and two clusters of High-Performance cores.

Have in mind that besides the CPU and GPU a lot of the other things also get an upgrade, like better media engine (8K ProRes decode and encode), better display engine (now with support for 4K240Hz and 8K60Hz over HDMI2.1), better neural engine etc.

SoCGPUTFlops
M1 Pro14-core4.55
M1 Pro16-core5.2
M2 Pro16-core5.76
M2 Pro19-core6.84
M1 Max24-core7.8
M1 Max32-core10.4
M2 Max30-core10.8
M2 Max38-core13.68

Last edited:
They are still on 5nm but the GPU is clocked higher in the M2. They have lower GPU cores due to redundancy (for higher yields) as their GPU needs a lot of cache. The M2 Pro certainly have a 20-core GPU and the M2 Max must have a 40-core GPU.

Both M2 Pro and M2 Max now get 4 High-Efficiency cores. That's why they call it a 12-core CPU design, consisting of a cluster of High-Efficiency cores and two clusters of High-Performance cores.

Have in mind that besides the CPU and GPU a lot of the other things also get an upgrade, like better media engine (8K ProRes decode and encode), better display engine (now with support for 4K240Hz and 8K60Hz over HDMI2.1), better neural engine etc.

SoCGPUTFlops
M1 Pro14-core4.55
M1 Pro16-core5.2
M2 Pro16-core5.76
M2 Pro19-core6.84
M1 Max24-core7.8
M1 Max32-core10.4
M2 Max30-core10.8
M2 Max38-core13.68

Die shots seem to indicate that M1 Max does indeed have 38 cores.

The Mac mini getting M2/M2 Pro and a $100 price cut on the base model is great news. Easily one of the best bang-for-buck deals in all of computing nowadays.

I wasn't expecting the M2 Mac mini so soon. I'd assumed it would be later in the year.

Time to re-jig my budget for the next few months...

I wasn't expecting the M2 Mac mini so soon. I'd assumed it would be later in the year.

Time to re-jig my budget for the next few months...

To the contrary, there's much speculation that these products were supposed to be released late last year.

COVID lockdowns in China probably played a huge part in Apple choosing to delay the launches.

Both M2 Pro and M2 Max now get 4 High-Efficiency cores.
That's only 2 more than M1 Pro and M1 Max. Also, clocks are up only by 300MHz more.
like better media engine (8K ProRes decode and encode), better display engine (now with support for 4K240Hz and 8K60Hz over HDMI2.1), better neural engine etc.
Standard gen on gen upgrades. Though, the M2 Max sports one video engine compared to two in M1 Max.
The M2 Pro certainly have a 20-core GPU and the M2 Max must have a 40-core GPU.
That's incorrect, direct die shots reveal no redundancy.

Initially we thought the M2 Pro and M2 Max really had 20 and 40 GPU cores respectively and that Apple had just disabled a few of them as part of the binning process. But an inspection of the die shots reveals the M2 Pro has exactly 19 GPU cores, while the M2 Max has 38. So, while a 19-core GPU may sound odd, it was clearly an intentional choice on Apple's part.

Well then yields must be great!
Complemented with increases in battery life for both the 14" and 16" MacBook Pro.

We'll see what benchmarks say, but I have little doubt that the 16" MBP will further extend Apple's lead as the battery life king.

How nice. I'm very envy about Apples rational HW.

Still have a first gen Mac Mini in the basement. It could run Quake 3 just fine.
I remember, with a computer of that size, the cables really become an annoying problem. They feel thick, bloated, and just too much. :D

Interesting that the M2 Max 38-core GPU (nearly 87,000 points) gets quite close in Geekbench 5 Compute to the M1 Ultra 48-core (around 88,000 points) and 64-core GPU (around 98,000).

The M1 Max has a larger cache as per the presentation and clocked higher at 1.4GHz. It could also show some inefficiencies with scaling over multiple SoCs and the UltraFusion connection.

SoCGPU coresTFlopsGeekbench 5 Compute
M2 Max38-cores13.686,805
M1 Ultra48-cores15.888,000
M1 Ultra64-cores2198,000

Back