erased

Re: Rough outline of PS3/X360 arch.

ninelven said:
I made a couple of outlines in paint for the systems. Just wanted to post them to make sure I was understanding correctly.
ps3.png

x360.png

Is this more or less correct?

Yep, that's how I see it. Apart from the Xenos-EDRAM effective 256 GB/s interconnect.

Daves going to clear that up...but I still see that as 32 GB/s write, 16 GB/s read for now...

For lack of a better image, everything below the "fragment crossbar" would be in eDram module:

quad_pipeline.gif

Fragment crossbar in the XGPU would be 32GB/sec down and 16GB/sec up and between the ROP's and memory modules is 256GB/sec real, at least until we hear otherwise.

ninelven said:
Ok, thanks. I have one more question if you don't mind... What other uses/purposes does the intelligent EDRAM serve besides free AA?

Potentially, better yields/ costs if they go with seperate chips to form a MCM package...

Nice job ninelven.

You may want to clarify that on the Xbox 360 eDRAM that there is logic on it. It seems, at this point, that the 256GB/s is between the logic ON the eDRAM and the eDRAM, and that the bandwidth between the GPU and the eDRAM is 256GB/s *effective* which is something like 32GB/s write and 16GB/s read as Jaws said. But we have no firm info or clarification :?

As for what the benefit of eDRAM, it takes some of the load off the UMA by isolating the frame buffer. So hypothetically if your framebuffer uses 10GB/s, instead of that eating away at your 23GB/s UMA you have isolated that. Like Jaws mentioned yields and also from HardOCP:

"Inside the Smart 3D Memory is what is referred to as a 3D Logic Unit. This is literally 192 Floating Point Unit processors inside our 10MB of RAM. This logic unit will be able to exchange data with the 10MB of RAM at an incredible rate of 2 Terabits per second. So while we do not have a lot of RAM, we have a memory unit that is extremely capable in terms of handling mass amounts of data extremely quickly. The most incredible feature that this Smart 3D Memory will deliver is “antialiasing for freeâ€￾ done inside the Smart 3D RAM at High Definition levels of resolution. (For more of just what HiDef specs are, you can read about it here. Yes, the 10MB of Smart 3D Memory can do 4X Multisampling Antialiasing at or above 1280x720 resolution without impacting the GPU. Therefore, not only will all of your games on Xbox 360 be in High Definition, but they also will have 4XAA applied.

The Smart 3D Memory can also compute Z depths, occlusion culling, and also does a very good job at figuring stencil shadows. Stencil shadows are used in games that will use the DOOM 3 engine such as Quake 4 and Prey."

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzcxLDM=

Another thing is it uses DRAM and not SRAM or 1T-SRAM. That makes it cheaper and smaller (at least according to Anandtech, so take that with a grain of salt).

Acert93 said:
The Smart 3D Memory can also compute Z depths, occlusion culling, and also does a very good job at figuring stencil shadows.

That's probably the hardware Z-only pass that Dave has mentioned...

Can anyone comment on typical bandwidth usage of texture/vertex fetches vs. framebuffer access, AA, Z-tests, stencil, etc.? Perhap Rev can get a question out to Tim S. or John C.? :D

"I don't want the console, just the charts"
And sorry, too tired right now to comment on either of them right :)

That's how I see it currently. More like the original leak than the recent ATi block diagram that's seems all messed up.

Ken Ktuaragi from his recent interview...
For example, RSX is not a variant of nVIDIA's PC chip. CELL and RSX have close relationship and both can access the main memory and the VRAM transparently. CELL can access the VRAM just like the main memory, and RSX can use the main memory as a frame buffer. They are just separated for the main usage, and do not really have distinction.

This architecture was designed to kill wasteful data copy and calculation between CELL and RSX. RSX can directly refer to a result simulated by CELL and CELL can directly refer to a shape of a thing RSX added shading to (note: CELL and RSX have independent bidirectional bandwidths so there is no contention).
Cell can access RAM transparently. Is that through RSX then, or has it got it's own lines to the DDR? What's said implies that Cell can access DDR without interfering with RSX's bandwidth on the matter. Or is it really a case of data being passed from RSX to Cell on request?

Back