Epic Sues Apple and Google due to Fortnite getting pulled [2020-08-13, 2021-05-03]

Discussion in 'Mobile Industry' started by eastmen, Aug 13, 2020.

1. wco81

Legend

I think they know but it's proprietary info.

they don't for instance report iPad sales unit volumes. That's for competitive reasons, though iPad is the best-selling tablet.

2. pharma

Veteran Regular

True. It's likely they don't want App developers to know total revenue/cost incurred based on Apple's royalty percentage scheme.

3. Silent_Buddha

Legend

The problem here is that this was his testimony under oath in court before the judge. If he does indeed know, then he was lying to the court about not knowing which opens him up to prosecution for perjury (1743. Perjury -- Overview Of 18 U.S.C. §1621 And 1623 Violations | JM | Department of Justice) and potentially charges of obstruction of justice (1721. Protection Of Government Processes -- Obstruction Of Justice -- Scope Of 18 U.S.C. 1503 | JM | Department of Justice) if perjury was committed in an attempt to "influence" or "impede" the court's ability to judge a case.

It's one thing to answer the question truthfully but then decline to give the actual P&L numbers in court, but another thing entire to claim to not know whether or not a division is profitable and to testify that Apple does not break down those figures in their internal P&L if he does know these things.

You would assume that any competent CEO would know these things. One of the reasons they might not know is if they know they are doing something wrong and might go to court, thus they can have plausible deniability if they are asked to testify about something they know they are doing wrong.

However, if they don't know the P&L of their various divisions, WTF are they doing as the CEO?

Regards,
    SB

BRiT likes this.
  4. wco81

Legend

So you're saying he's lying or ignorant and a bad CEO.

Apple shareholders aren't going to ask for his ouster any time soon. That's who he answers to.

If Epic wants to try to show he's lying they should have at it.

5. Silent_Buddha

Legend

If the government believes he's lying under oath the government can also prosecute him for perjury if they feel it was egregious and if he doesn't have buddies higher up in government (as Apple did when they had the ruling against them by the FTC overturned by Obama).

Apple v Epic: Tim Cook appears on the stand in Epic legal row (yahoo.com)

There's all kinds of things going on with this testimony that's dodgy as shit for a CEO.

He doesn't know much about the 7-10 billion USD contract with Google for their search engine to be used in iOS? Something he testified to under oath. I mean, according to his testimony in court, he hasn't got a freaking clue what is going on at Apple. And this is the CEO?

Regards,
    SB

milk, pharma and BRiT like this.
  6. wco81

Legend

Is the govt. a party in this case?

The judge could sanction him for lying. Where is the proof though?

7. zed

zed
    Legend Veteran

Silent_Buddha and milk like this.
  8. Silent_Buddha

Legend

9. wco81

Legend

Yeah go ahead and believe that if you want.

He may not know every line item in the balance sheet but that means he doesn't know what his company is doing?

Ask how many APPL shareholders want to fire him.

milk likes this.
  10. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

The chance that he doesn't know if the app store is profitable is zero. His excuse when challenged about lying would likely be, 'I wasn't sure if we made $20billion or $20billion and 10 cents' and I didn't want to offer incorrect data.

11. manux

Veteran Regular

None? He is working for the good of apple and trying to preserve profits by keeping ios closed. Epic share holders on the other hand,...

12. wco81

Legend

Is Epic a public company?

Apparently there's been talk of an IPO. Or maybe they can do a SPAC.

Or maybe Sweeney gets enough of the profits that he doesn't have an incentive to go public at all.

13. manux

Veteran Regular

Epic has share owners as they raised a ton of money by selling shares. Doesn't need to be public company for others to have shares. For example sony has invested into epic. So in essence epic share holders aka. owners would want to take action if tim cook is doing something that could be used by epic to gain advantage.

14. wco81

Legend

I believe MS has testified in the Epic Games vs. Apple case?

In any event, they've been funding antitrust efforts targeting Google, Apple, Amazon.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/05/24/tech-antitrust-republican-490446

15. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

Microsoft routinely donates millions to politicians of both major parties. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple did as well.

16. zed

zed
    Legend Veteran

He obviously knows, And the judge realizes Hopefully this will sway them to go oh so you think you can blatantly lie to my face, well sorry I deciApple is guilty then.
    Though personally I think Apple will win, from what I've read/heard the government usually finds for the defendants in these big corporate cases and it would be a major shock if Apple didnt win
    [​IMG]

17. eastmen

Legend Subscriber