Epic Sues Apple and Google due to Fortnite getting pulled [2020-08-13, 2021-05-03]

Discussion in 'Mobile Industry' started by eastmen, Aug 13, 2020.

1. DSoup

DSoup Series Soup
    Legend Veteran

Tim Sweeney's tweets suggests he thinks Epic lost too.

As always, the lawyers won. I don't understand the people who are supporting either company, both are fairly shitty and obviously greedy. :yep2:

milk and BRiT like this.
  2. zed

zed
    Legend Veteran

Oh yes of course the lawyers won. I'm not a supporter of Epic as they make the shitty Unreal engine

3. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

It will be higher because the install base grows but there will be people moving to third party payment systems. Esp if they offer discounts or do a % of the payment as cash back or something.

4. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

Will it affect google ? On my phone not only is there google play store but also the galaxy store to download games and apps along with me being able to side load. On apple there is none of that. Wouldn't google be able to say if they want to use a third party payment processor they can just download a diffrent store we aren't stoping anyone ?

5. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran

To be honest, the only thing that I find to be truly menacing on Epic's side is the fact that they're like 40% owned by Tencent.

6. wco81

Legend

Well I'm an APPL shareholder, as are lots of people, even if they don't directly own the stock, a lot of mutual funds do.

I don't root for Apple in this case but I really doubt the things Epic wants would make for a better user experience. For instance, why would I want to register my billing info with several payment processors or developers in addition to Apple?

With Apple, I chose to buy iOS device so they got my billing info -- well I don't store my credit card on my Apple account, I use gift cards to top up my account balance. But I don't want to give up my billing info to other parties if I can avoid it.

Would I use alternate app stores or side load if possible? Probably not unless there was something really good that wasn't available on the App Store. If I wanted access to alternative apps I would buy an Android device.

Nobody is twisting people's arms to buy iPhones, which are among the most expensive devices. That is why they have minority market share globally, because most people don't want to pay premium prices. So I don't see anything especially shitty about Apple. They put out pricey products and people can buy them or not.

You're not required to pay for iCloud either in order to use the devices. I pay .99 cents a month, have no interest in Apple Music or all the other Apple subscriptions which are available. I may subscribe to Apple + at some point to check out some of their shows but that's about it.

I pay for Amazon Prime and Hulu currently. But I didn't subscribe to those services through iOS apps. I checked out Fortnite on my Nintendo Switch, not my kind of game but in any event I would never purchase micro transactions so I would never give my billing info to Epic or any other game developer.

I no longer subscribe to PSN but when I did, I used PSN gift cards, not give them my credit cards.

7. DSoup

DSoup Series Soup
    Legend Veteran

Then don't. The case was pressing for options in addition to Apple's payment processing, not to replace it.

Then don't. Because you don't want to, does not mean others do not. I have many apps where I would just like to be able to purchase content for the app in the app but that would mean the price is 30% higher because of Apple's payment policies. I have a lot of Apple gear - iPhone, iPads (plural), several Macs, two HomePod minis and Airbags and I like their tech but I'm not blind to their policies being incredibly self-serving to the detriment of content creators.

milk likes this.
  8. wco81

Legend

Well let's see if there's this great sale in IAPs for registering through some external method.

I suspect they may offer some incentives but they'd try to keep the higher margins for themselves.

9. DSoup

DSoup Series Soup
    Legend Veteran

What "great sale"? If a bunch of apps offer alternatives to IAPs other than Apple, and are massively successful, where will these be reported? Nowhere. You'll never know.

10. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

A declining bottom line at apple.

DSoup likes this.
  11. wco81

Legend

I don't mean great sales necessarily. I mean a great sale. So presumably apps will offer a discount for you to go to some website and create an account with your billing info.

People might need incentives, such as lower prices on IAPs than they were when you purchased through the App Store.

That's what I mean by predictions. Will Services division revenues be higher or lower a couple of years from now? If developers are successful in getting users to buy IAPs through outside accounts, where they might offer discounts or bonuses, you would see a lot of App Store revenues, which aren't broken out on their own but are part of the Services division revenues, you'd expect lower Services division revenues or at least much slower growth than they've been seeing.

12. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

Depends if you believe the growth trend of the app store was sustainable or not. It's not going to be easy to tell as it's going to take time for these other payment methods to gain traction if that is going to happen. Perhaps Apple will start offering their own discounts to fend off the creation of alternatives and further muddy the issue.

DSoup and milk like this.
  13. DSoup

DSoup Series Soup
    Legend Veteran

This is where it started, with Epic wanting sell stuff minus Apple's 30% cut. On occasional, minor transactions you may see little change because there will be that initial friction if you need to setup a different payment and/or create an account elsewhere that you don't already have.

If you spent a lot, 30% savings could add up fast.

Yup, Apple's AppStore revenue overtime is a messy inconsistent string of numbers - in contrast to hardware sales numbers where the rises and falls are more explainable. It could be very difficult to look at future earnings reports and discern if there has been any meaningful impact to AppStore IAP revenue.

14. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Were Epic's Fortnite microtransactions 30% cheaper on their own store than on iOS? If they were the same price, wouldn't Epic just want to keep 30% extra profit instead of lowering the price? These companies aren't the champions of good.

15. Zaphod

Zaphod Remember
    Veteran

20%

Malo likes this.
  16. zed

zed
    Legend Veteran

ye-och if you are gonna call something out first confirm *cough*widescreen*ahem* :grin: though in hindsight this is a perfect example of why smart ppl can do dumb things (and there for the grace of god go I

17. SmooTh

Newcomer

18. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Encore. Encore. Bring on the next round!

DSoup likes this.
  19. wco81

Legend

Epic was found in breach and then Epic appealed the ruling.

So Apple doesn't want to reinstate Epic until the litigation process is complete.

What's the problem, Epic wasn't prepared to be thrown out when they broke the terms of the contract they signed or sued Apple?

20. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Yeah, that's a bit of "The Gall of them [Epic]". Though at this point I half imagine this is done more for the continual news coverage than them being surprised at the outcome.