Epic Says This Is What Next-Gen Should Look Like

But it wasn't run on a single GTX580, it was run on 3 GTX580's. To somehow extrapolate that to a single is like saying the bullshots we so often see should be done in game.

What liverpool said. A single GTX580 should be able to pull it off; this was a prototype, and Epic admitted that they could optimize it further to run on a single 580.

Just think about it - a GTX580 is on the order of 10x more capable than Xenos. Does the Samaritan demo reflect this? I would say no, although it does look very very good.

P.S. they were running the demo at 1600p; the drop to 1080p should yield a massive performance improvement in and of itself.

Love how they tessellate the smoke. >_>

That's one of the things that seems so obvious in retrospect that I feel like pounding my head on the desk.

It's an ideal way to use tesselation to improve image quality without sacrificing too much performance, on a problem where the it can be easily replaced by a backwards-compatible code path where it's not available.

Goes to show why they are the genius engine makers who make a profit on a huge chunk of all games sold and I'm, well, not.

That's one of the things that seems so obvious in retrospect that I feel like pounding my head on the desk.

It's an ideal way to use tesselation to improve image quality without sacrificing too much performance, on a problem where the it can be easily replaced by a backwards-compatible code path where it's not available.
Indeed, I love how we are seeing the usability of tesselation outside the non obvious cobblestone roads.
Things like tesselated surface or smoke to get resolution independant shading or to get dual paraboloid shadowmapping working are always incredibly nice to read about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rein apparently says UE4 makes Samaritan look like "crap" :p

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Epic-VP-Unreal-Engine-4-Demo-Makes-Samaritan-Look-Feeble-40315.html
This year's Samaritan demo, however, was highly optimized and according to Epic's Mark Rein, it could be running on a laptop next year or a smartphone the year after. This is where Rein pointed out that the UE4 demo will make the Samaritan look feeble by comparison and will generally be crap next to what they show off for the next generation engine, saying "Imagine if that were a piece of crap, what would the next thing look like?"

The smartphone comment is an eyebrow raiser, as a gaffer commented, "2.5 teraflops phones in 2014 confirmed". :p

It's probably not so insane if you consider smartphone res as 800x480 though. At that point you would "only" needs something like 450 gflops scaling for pixel count and referencing 1.1 TF @720 Samaritan demands. Considering whats done in Vita it's not so ludicrous. Maybe they could halve that with optimizations and at that point you're PS360 gflops level, which seems reasonable for bleeding edge 2014 mobile.

Ignoring the fact phones are moving to 720P.

That was an awesome trailer. I'm jiving for proper Linux support too, especially since they support iOS and Android.

Too bad that most current mainstream platforms cannot really run the latest build of UE3 flat out with those kind of graphics we see in the trailer, except for PCs. And even still, most UE developers really don't go too far beyond what we've seen in previous games with the engine. Gears 3 is still the UE3 benchmark in terms of overall comprehension in it's graphics features, while I'd say Mirror's Edge has the artistic edge. It kind of pains me to see even blockbusters like Mass Effect 3 still looking much like early UE3 games, though I also know that games such as it have alot of the developer's resources tied up in building so many game worlds and sets. Only so much time can be given to making it all look so bleeding edge, though ME3 still looks pretty good, and UE3 makes it efficient to run.

Sounds like UE4 is a whole generation leap over Samaritan if Rein is to be believed. He already said UE4 was running on consoles he couldn't name yet didn't he:)? So if it safe to assume that at least two nextgen consoles can blitz that Samaritan demo to space then?

I know a number of people who saw the UE4 demo at GDC, I actually skipped it.
The one thing that seemed to impress people was the global illumination demo, however, it was only shown with 2 relatively confined areas, and it was unclear what the exact set of "cheats" they were using.
They did however show it with moving lights, and more importantly moving objects. I assume they have to use some sort of sparse grid and recompute the form factors when things move, which makes me wonder what the actual restrictions are and in what set of circumstances it's actually usable.

Come to think of it, those physix demo shown by Nvidia such as fracture, fur rendering and advanced particle all seem to beyond what Samaritan has to offer and they will all be included in UE4. Now on top of a nice realtime GI solution I'm starting to believe the hype a bit.

Nice info ERP, so would you say it's more advanced than Cryengine 3 and Frost Bite 2.0's approach then?

ERP said:
I know a number of people who saw the UE4 demo at GDC, I actually skipped it.

ERP clearly says that he didn't see it and based on feedback, "it was unclear what the exact set of "cheats" they were using" so how in the world do you expect him to compare it to CE3 or Frostbite 2?

Well ERP did made a few assumptions based on what he was told, so I was simply wondering if it's something fundamentally different.

Well ERP did made a few assumptions based on what he was told, so I was simply wondering if it's something fundamentally different.

I was merely speculating on the moving objects with the global illumination demo.
It's relatively "easy" to move lights, it's much harder to move objects.

Back