Engaget: 360 v2 'Zephyr' - HDMI, 65nm?, 120gb HDD (picture)

If the Engadget article is to be believed, it seems the v2 will have the 65nm processor as well. If this is true, we will have to wait, at least, till Q3/07 since that processor seems to be delayed.

I guess a safe bet would be for the fall 2007...

Also, I think it would make more sense for them to come up with v2 in the core version ONLY and to release 120 GB HDD add-on separately (with a reasonable price) than to come up with v2 w/ 120GB combo initially.

This way, if I am just interested in the HDMI for HD DVD add-on for example, I could keep my current HDD and other accessories. Or if I am just interested in the 120 GB HDD, I could just get that. I don't think I want to replace the whole thing...

Hong.

MS responds to HDMI X360 Images

We contacted Microsoft representatives, who made the following statement: "We have seen all types of claimed leaked photos like this show up online and as a standard policy we don't comment on speculative items."

Good ol' microsoft :LOL: . They always say things like this when somethings leaked, then it usually gets confirmed :cool:

I really hope this revisioned X360 is true :D

if this is true micro$oft wont be able to give good answers to these questions i personally reckon

- Why didnt they put hdmi in first place to keep some of 360 owners quiet???
- what would microsoft do to keep these people satisfied and not feel disadvantaged???
- why is this taking place too early??? it took over 5 years for ps2 to have major hardware revision

i personally don't care about this since

a - my console doesnt have overheating problem AT THE MOMENT
b - i dont need hdmi as i am happy using vga cable
c - i dont even need a gigabyte of HDD. im only using around 140mb of hard disc.

and some people know this kina thing happened to DS when they made screen brighter, weigh much less and smaller in such short period of time didn't they??? i just want to know if there was big disappointment etc

if this is true micro$oft wont be able to give good answers to these questions i personally reckon

- Why didnt they put hdmi in first place to keep some of 360 owners quiet???

Cost, and final (1.3 spec) not final.

- what would microsoft do to keep these people satisfied and not feel disadvantaged???

Nothing. Why don't people feel privledged and thank Microsoft that there were able to buy a next-gen console a year before the competitor's products?

- why is this taking place too early???

It hasn't happened yet. And when it does, it will happen for the same reasons it always does: to remain as a competitive product while maximizing profit.

If MS plans the 360 to have an integrated HD-DVD player in the future, I think it's a mistake to release a rev now without it. A console should not have more than one revision in it's lifetime or they will risk alienating early adopters. It can tarnish the brand in a future basis against people who plan to get the XBox 720 as an early adopter.

If MS plans the 360 to have an integrated HD-DVD player in the future, I think it's a mistake to release a rev now without it. A console should not have more than one revision in it's lifetime or they will risk alienating early adopters. It can tarnish the brand in a future basis against people who plan to get the XBox 720 as an early adopter.

There were PS2 versions that added features like built in infrared for remote controls, progressive scan DVD playback, built in ethernet, and so on. It did no negative to the brand. In fact, the average consumer probably didn't even know about any changes until the new slim one came out. I'm pretty sure PS2 has seen 2 to 3 major revisions in its lifetime. That said, I think it'd be a mistake to integrate HD-DVD or any movie format until there is a winner.

Come on :???: , PS3 has 1080p games [ RR7 ] , right ?.. What did he say " I think 1080p, just to address that directly, will be basically impossible. " , and you still say this statement is correct ?.. :rolleyes:.

1080p on the X360 is quite more complicated because of the limited size of the EDRAM. Even without AA, you can't fit a 1080p framebuffer and have to resort to tiling.
Not sure about the other resource issues though... but it's sure more reasonable to stick to 720p and do more, instead of going for a higher screen resolution.

Cost, and final (1.3 spec) not final.

by significant amount of costs would it be??? at least 1.1 HDMI could have been used

Nothing. Why don't people feel privledged and thank Microsoft that there were able to buy a next-gen console a year before the competitor's products?

how about... comparing these owners to current owners??? im sure the only way for some people to get 1080p movies is by HDMI. and also, what if HDCP and ICT is used??? how about those people who do care about digital vs analog???

It hasn't happened yet. And when it does, it will happen for the same reasons it always does: to remain as a competitive product while maximizing profit.

the article says SOON, its not something that would take over a year

im not expert in technologies, its just my concerns :D

There were PS2 versions that added features like built in infrared for remote controls, progressive scan DVD playback, built in ethernet, and so on. It did no negative to the brand. In fact, the average consumer probably didn't even know about any changes until the new slim one came out. I'm pretty sure PS2 has seen 2 to 3 major revisions in its lifetime. That said, I think it'd be a mistake to integrate HD-DVD or any movie format until there is a winner.

The revised PS2 models didn't add any new feature that wasn't capable of being added to the original model. If Microsoft goes the route of adding an HDMI connector to a new model, but provides no avenue for current owners to also add that feature, then I think this will be a first for a console system. Most of the time they remove features in future revisions(ex: removal of hard drive slot on the PS2 Slim, removal of serial port and digital a/v out on Gamecube).

Tommy McClain

The revised PS2 models didn't add any new feature that wasn't capable of being added to the original model. If Microsoft goes the route of adding an HDMI connector to a new model, but provides no avenue for current owners to also add that feature, then I think this will be a first for a console system. Most of the time they remove features in future revisions(ex: removal of hard drive slot on the PS2 Slim, removal of serial port and digital a/v out on Gamecube).

Tommy McClain

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2#Hardware_revisions

Assembly of the PS2 moved to China with the V9 (model number SCPH-50000/SCPH-50001), which added the Infrared port for the optional DVD Remote control, removed the FireWire port, added the capability to read DVD-RW and +RW discs, added progressive-scan output of DVD movies, and a quieter fan. V10 and V11 have minor changes.

To a certain extent I would agree, but I don't think it's impossible. There may be other issues blocking them from releasing such a cable: cost, licensing, compatibility, reduced-quality, etc. I don't think it's lack of digital output or pins that's hindering the idea. Especially considering comments from Dave and others on the matter.

Tommy McClain

It's amazing how many people still cling to this possibility...

yes they did, at least 3 times.

No, they never promised an HDMI solution for existing systems, they simply made a vague statement that skirted around the issue, something subsequently misinterpreted by (obviously) a lot of people. If they release an updated system with HDMI, they will have accomplished what they said they would.

im not expert in technologies, its just my concerns :D

You have to look at this from a cost / benefit perspective together.

1) HDMI is really only of any use for HD movie playback, and even then, the primary benefit is only for those with 1080p sets, which are relatively few.
2) Xbox only offers HD movie play-back as an optional add-on
3) Even then, full 1080p resolution can still be obtained over component / VGA at this time
4) Some years down the road, there may be issues playing at full resolution if certain flags are turned on.

In other words, adding HDMI to the base console is of little real benefit to the vast majority of Xbox users. It's hard to justify ANY cost. Don't forget that the cost is not just the BOM, but the development / research / testing. Would it be nice to have the option of HDMI out? Sure.

Given the timing and console capabilities, MS made the right choice to exclude HDMI from the console. (At the same time, Sony including HDMI was the right choice for them...given built in HD movie playback). Had MS put a HDMI 1.1 port on the original console...you'd still have the same "complaints" from early adopters getting "screwed" by not having a 1.3 port. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2#Hardware_revisions

Assembly of the PS2 moved to China with the V9 (model number SCPH-50000/SCPH-50001), which added the Infrared port for the optional DVD Remote control, removed the FireWire port, added the capability to read DVD-RW and +RW discs, added progressive-scan output of DVD movies, and a quieter fan. V10 and V11 have minor changes.

Dobwal, thanks for clarifying the new PS2 features. I don't consider the IR port a new feature since you could add one to the older system. Though the other 2 are clearly something new. The only one that comes close in scope as a HDMI port would be the progressive scan output. I could see older PS2 owners upset for having to pay full price to get that feature.

Tommy McClain

It's amazing how many people still cling to this possibility...

Do you know something that everybody else doesn't? Go back and read some of Dave's post you clearly see that he's suggesting that adding HDMI to the current version is not out of the realm of possibility. Would I be surprised no cable was ever released? No, and I wouldn't be devastated either.

Tommy McClain

Back