eMule fu*king the connection up?

L-B,

I really like my D-Link stuff. The DSL-360T modem is cheap and good, and the DI-604 router stacks to the modem creating one unit that doesn't take up any extra desktop space. Netstat Live says nearly 7 gigs transferred this month alone, and my uptime is over 20 days now, so naturally the full total is much more. No problems whatsoever. :D

Yeah and that BITCH of my best friend won't lend me his modem/router, a 3Com one, saying he just got it to work properly and "doesn't want thigns to go pear-shaped".... BASTARD.
So i guess i'll have to wait.

I bought DLink DSL-524T recently, which is all-in-one DSL-modem and router combo. It costs mere 80 EURO and works like a charm.

london-boy said:
I'm talking total disconnection kind of issue... Only when Emule's up and running. Not everytime, but most times i'd say.
BTW i set up the upload limit to 10K/s (i know i'm stingy) and no dload limit.
Try to limit both the upload and download.

I quite like Netgear, but I don't know much about their current products as I've had flawless performance from my RP114 since I bought it. It's been up (apart from a few manual resets) continuously for about three and a half years 24/7. I can't even tell you the uptime because it just clocks all the way around if you leave it on long enough.

london-boy said:
well it really look like they're gonna replace it... with the same thing... WHAT THE F**K IS THE POINT!??!

They're not going to admit their product has an inherent design flaw and offer to give you some other company's product. If you haven't had it long, you could try sending it back to the supplier as "not fit for purpose", otherwise you could try the replacement Belkin to see if it is better. If a replacement has the same problem and you can't send it back, you'll have to cut your losses and buy a modem/router from another manufacturer. It will be a lot less painful in the long run.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
london-boy said:
well it really look like they're gonna replace it... with the same thing... WHAT THE F**K IS THE POINT!??!

They're not going to admit their product has an inherent design flaw and offer to give you some other company's product. If you haven't had it long, you could try sending it back to the supplier as "not fit for purpose", otherwise you could try the replacement Belkin to see if it is better. If a replacement has the same problem and you can't send it back, you'll have to cut your losses and buy a modem/router from another manufacturer. It will be a lot less painful in the long run.

Right, the vendor (ebuyer.co.uk) might be able to replace it (just waiting to see what they tell me, i sent the Return Product application thing). They won't refund it cause it's older than 30 days ( :rolleyes: ). So, if they do something about it, they will replace it.

Do u think it's worth my time to try and get them to replace it with another product, and charge me the difference in price? They won't care, they're not Belkin, so i think they should do it.

london-boy said:
Do u think it's worth my time to try and get them to replace it with another product, and charge me the difference in price? They won't care, they're not Belkin, so i think they should do it.

If it was me, I would try that tack. I'd mention all the people on the internet complaining of the same problem, that it must be a design flaw, and so the router was not fit for purpose when they sold it to you. Tell them you'd much rather choose another product that works properly and pay the difference - they'd effectively be giving you a credit note as a refund, for you to spend on another product that they can sell you.

Don't let them come up with that solution themselves (because they probably won't). Insist the router is not fit for purpose, but you'd be happy to take a credit note and choose another product, rather than keep returning routers to them every month.

Well I don't know about Belkin, but it should be possible to get another brand. I'd say choose a decent device and return the Belkin thingy.

_xxx_ said:
Well I don't know about Belkin, but it should be possible to get another brand. I'd say choose a decent device and return the Belkin thingy.

Which brings me now to the point.

What is the best affordable modem/router i can get? Or at least, what brand should i go for?

Remember, i have a 4Mb connection that gets hammered by myself a whole lot, constantly, with eMule and BitLord downloading sometimes 20 files at once. Plus browsing. Would be nice if it had good range, cause that belkin one is embarrassing, sometimes even walking between the modem and the PC connected to it wirelessly, loses the connection... errr... Rarely, but it happened. And it's useless to kind of "hide" the modem somewhere cause the signal drops even trough a wall - can't leave the modem in the living room and get connected in my room, which is THERE, with just a wall in between. Distance must be max 5-6 meters. :?

Back