eMule fu*king the connection up?

London Geezer

Legend
Supporter
Right, i've had issues for ages, mostly in my head, but the latest one is this:

I'm now 100% sure that eMule fucks up my connection. Sometimes it's so bad that when it's on, the connection won't stay up for longer than a few minutes at a time.

Does that have anything to do with the fact that i forwarded the ports so i get i high ID? Maybe a security issue?

Cause as soon as i turn it off, everything's fine.

Screws up your connection how? If you max out your upload bandwidth with emule traffic that will definitely put a cramp in your style when you surf or try to game online. Make sure you limit upload speed so there's a comfortable margin.

Other than that, a program you run on your pooter should not be able to affect your connection. It would have to be some strange software firewall bug or router issue or such I'd think...

Guden Oden said:
Screws up your connection how? If you max out your upload bandwidth with emule traffic that will definitely put a cramp in your style when you surf or try to game online. Make sure you limit upload speed so there's a comfortable margin.

Other than that, a program you run on your pooter should not be able to affect your connection. It would have to be some strange software firewall bug or router issue or such I'd think...

I'm talking total disconnection kind of issue... Only when Emule's up and running. Not everytime, but most times i'd say.
BTW i set up the upload limit to 10K/s (i know i'm stingy) and no dload limit.

london-boy said:
I'm talking total disconnection kind of issue... Only when Emule's up and running. Not everytime, but most times i'd say.

Some routers and cable/ADSL modems can't handle the many connections that Emule can initiate. Some of them actually see it as a DOS attack and go into squelch mode. Try limiting your outgoing connections per second, limit your incoming queue to 1000, and if you're using XP SP2, have you patched your TCPIP.SYS to get around the connection limits?

It's almost certainly your router. The sad little CPUs these consumer routers have apparently can't handle more than ~150 connections usually. They just start to flake out cuz of overheating, bugs, instability, etc.

london-boy said:
Only when Emule's up and running. Not everytime, but most times i'd say.
Well, if it's not everytime then eMule isn't the culprit, though it may be exacerbating the underlying problem.

in my case with 1.5 mbps NTL cable here in UK no problems with e-mule...
(I guess you have ADSL) still
disconnection issues should be check with your provider first, they might run some tests to your local exchange, and if they pretend it is all fine wait a little and try to get them while you are disconnected. They should be able to see where is the failure, whether the network or the client.

Diplo said:
london-boy said:
Only when Emule's up and running. Not everytime, but most times i'd say.
Well, if it's not everytime then eMule isn't the culprit, though it may be exacerbating the underlying problem.

It can be misleading, because the number and frequency of both incoming and outgoing requests depends on what you are trying to download. Trying to download many popular files at once will generate more connection traffic than few, or unpopular files.

london-boy said:

Is it actually disconnection (ie modem needs resetting), or just no other apps can access the internet (ie timeouts, connection comes back just by exiting emule)? I've seen it happen where emule is so busy making connections (ususally because you have your max connections per file too high) that it grabs all the connections that the OS is willing to give you per second, and there are none left for other apps.

You can check this by looking in the system logs for any TCPIP.SYS errors. This has been exacerbated with the XP SP2 limitation that allows only 10 open connections per second, but there is a workaround to that.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear you're also using a DLink router, such as the DLink DI-624. If so, they're known to suck ass and have numerous disconnect and reset issues when opening new connections too quickly or using more than 150 connections.

I have a cheap-o Dlink router/DSL modem and it works flawlessly.

How many dl's do you have running simultaneously? Have you set any connection timeouts in your router? Or connection on demand? In that case, it'll disconnect if no traffic is active after the set timeout.

Also, be sure to forward _all_ TCP/UDP ports according to eMule help, or your dl rate will suck.

BRiT said:
I wouldn't be surprised to hear you're also using a DLink router, such as the DLink DI-624. If so, they're known to suck ass

My DI-604 is solid as a rock, no problems whatsoever even when bittorrenting at 600k/s etc... Great product for the price, I have only good things to say about it.

Edit: I would be interested in "fixing" this SP2 connection issue tho, despite I haven't suffered from it (noticeably anyway). If it's easily done that is without screwing anything else up or something like that. :)

Right, sorry it took me a while.

Basically it's a disconnection in that the whole connection to the router goes off. Sometimes it won't even allow me to get into the settings page (which is accessible via the browser), which means that there must be something wrong with the modem itself.

I spent all night on the phone with them, changed settings, firmware, reset everything twice, three times, but it still disconnects me. The thing is that now it also disconnects me when eMule if off and the only thing running is Bitlord.

I've contacted my ISP many times and the problem is not with them.

So, i'll buy 84 new microfilters today, u never know. But really, the chance of having broken microfilters is not too high, considering how many i've tried...

It's one of those crappy Belkin modem/routers, and i have the authorisation to call them up to request a replacement should the problem persist (which it does..)

Guden Oden said:
Edit: I would be interested in "fixing" this SP2 connection issue tho, despite I haven't suffered from it (noticeably anyway). If it's easily done that is without screwing anything else up or something like that. :)

Here's a patcher. Bear in mind that it does hack one of your system files, so the OS complains when the replacement first happens (read the docs). The patcher makes backups and can reverse the changes if you don't like it.

I just kept upping the limit until I stopped getting error messages in the logs. At 200 I found I stopped getting the "other network apps time out when P2P is running" problem and no errors in the log.

The limit MS implemented is a bit silly anyway. It tries to fix the symptoms of a problem, rather than the root cause.

london-boy said:

Basically it's a disconnection in that the whole connection to the router goes off. Sometimes it won't even allow me to get into the settings page (which is accessible via the browser), which means that there must be something wrong with the modem itself.

It's one of those crappy Belkin modem/routers, and i have the authorisation to call them up to request a replacement should the problem persist (which it does..)

I think it's your Belkin router that can't handle the connection abuse. IIRC, it's one of the makes that people complain about, but you might have to have a bit of a Google to make sure.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
london-boy said:

I think it's your Belkin router that can't handle the connection abuse. IIRC, it's one of the makes that people complain about, but you might have to have a bit of a Google to make sure.

Yeah i googled it and there seems to be a lot of people with the exact same problem - randon disconnections.
So, i'll get a replacement. Which brings me to the point, why would i want a replacement from Belkin, they're probably gonna send me another crappy one anyway.

And what's worse is that sometimes i can leave it running overnight, with both eMule and Bitlord running, and wake up the following morning with them still running perfectly. So why the randomness? If it can't handle all those connections, then it shouldn't at all.... Meh...

london-boy said:
And what's worse is that sometimes i can leave it running overnight, with both eMule and Bitlord running, and wake up the following morning with them still running perfectly. So why the randomness? If it can't handle all those connections, then it shouldn't at all.... Meh...

Are you sure it has been running all that time, and the router hasn't dropped out and then come back when all the other people on the network have given up trying to connect to you?

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
london-boy said:

Are you sure it has been running all that time, and the router hasn't dropped out and then come back when all the other people on the network have given up trying to connect to you?

Likely... But as of 2 days ago, it disconnects and doesn't reconnect anymore..... So when it drops, i wake up and it's still off.... :rolleyes:

london-boy said:
Yeah i googled it and there seems to be a lot of people with the exact same problem - randon disconnections.
So, i'll get a replacement. Which brings me to the point, why would i want a replacement from Belkin, they're probably gonna send me another crappy one anyway.

This is what I suffered with the DLink DI-624 router. I've had it replaced a few times, but every single DI-624 router has had the same exact issues.

I have since replaced it with a LinkSys WRT54GS and utilize the Sveasoft 4.x firmware. I haven't had a problem with disconnects since then. The router has been up since I plugged it in, 37 days now. In that time I've transfered gigs of data using bittorrent and usenet and steam. No issues at all.

Back