Elite Dangerous [XBO]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11852
  • Start date
Why do you think it's coming out later on PS4 given Phil Spencer didn't mention of words 'exclusivity' or 'timed'?

Nobody would expect Phil Spencer to mention other platforms, much like some of the games that Sony announced at E3 last year and didn't mention were also coming to Xbox One.

Why do you think it's coming out later on PS4 given Phil Spencer didn't mention of words 'exclusivity' or 'timed'?
Because he didn't mention exclusive! If it was exclusive, he'd have said so. Like Wasteland 2 - was announced coming to XB1 but not PS4. The devs explained coming to PS4.

The wording of the announcement, as I understand it, says it's coming first to XB1. That implies it's coming second to other platforms. And the business of ignoring 20+ million PS4 owners (with some having VR headsets) isn't great. I imagine MS want to avoid PR backlash like the TR announcement, so are not implying exclusivity where there is none. Hence the introduction of the term 'debut' instead of timed exclusive - a nice middle ground of confusion and inexactness and truth. ;)

20+ million PS4 owners (with some having VR headsets) ;)

Could be intentional from Sony and Microsoft; it's potentially a win-win for them. Microsoft get the debut, Sony get a complete VR game on release.

Because he didn't mention exclusive! If it was exclusive, he'd have said so.

Not to put words in DSoup's mouth, but I think he meant why would anybody think it would come out later on the PS4 - as in, why wouldn't it be released at the same time on the PS4. Not that it wasn't going to be released on the PS4.

From what I've read about the GDC (I haven't watched it), it seems the vast majority of the games that were ID@Xbox that were shown off are multi-platform games. No different than MS or Sony showcasing the next COD on their console at E3. Doesn't mean exclusivity, timed or otherwise (unless specifically stated as such.)

The phrase 'debuting on consoles with Xbox One' was used, and Frontier has close ties to Microsoft and are familiar with Xbox development. That makes it sound very much like the Xbox release will be ahead of the PS4 release.

That doesn't necessarily mean any form of exclusivity was negotiated, just that maybe Frontier are able to quickly get an Xbox port to market but the PS4 port will take a bit longer.

It's not as if release has to be timed with some big marketing push.

Update: Gamespot has an interview with Braben, in which he mentions close ties with Microsoft, and 'the hard decision to skip PS4 with Elite', so it might not be coming to PS4 after all.

A bit more clarification seems in order though. Braben's wording was not especially clear.

VG247 are reporting that the exclusivity is timed.

According to Frontier boss David Braben the space-sim will head to PS4 at some point, once the console exclusivity deal with Microsoft has expired.​

I'm surprised this wasn't clearer from Phil Spencer's original announcement but after the way the Rise of the Tomb Raider announcement backfired, maybe Microsoft PR have banned him from mentioning exclusivity details. This may actually be better for Braben and Frontier as Morpheus and its SDK will be much further along and I'm sure they'd like to support it just as they are Oculus.

Elite Dangerous is great on Oculus.

Eurogamer spoke to David Braben about Elite Dangerous on consoles. Among the many things Braben speaks about with regards to the games on consoles is the reason or the exclusivity, which is quite straight forward:

"Xbox has been very good to Frontier, and we've done a lot of games over the past decade with Microsoft. We did a launch title with Xbox One, Zoo Tycoon, all with the same tech and ScreamRide came out. We've got a lot of people with experience on the tech, so we can get on it straight away, and our tools have been tested, are battle-hardened, on the system. Obviously we've got a great relationship with Microsoft too."

The exclusivity - it's a timed exclusive, although Braben couldn't divulge details of how long the window is - is clearly a big deal to Microsoft, with Xbox boss Phil Spencer placing the announcement at the top of his GDC talk.

Huh. That's interesting. While I'm excited about the game, my reasons for being excited are rather silly.. they date back to playing the text only game of Trade Wars in the 1980s and hoping this is a similar experience but with graphics and maybe a little bit of twitch controller fighting (rather than just winning battles based upon math).

I'm not sure there's a large enough market for this game for it to be "a big deal" for MS to have it as a timed exclusive. It's not GTA or COD or Madden or anything.

Hopefully the exclusivity deal will be closer to weeks than months for the benefit of the PS4 folks.

I also read that the crossplay aspect is more about being in the same consistent universe, rather than actual interaction between console and PC. It will be interesting to see how that is handled.

They can probably afford to wait until the launch of Morpheus?

yeah this + Morpheus...well essentially I don't think I'll need a PC any more
You mean only for gamin, I suppose?

Eurogamer spoke to David Braben about Elite Dangerous on consoles. Among the many things Braben speaks about with regards to the games on consoles is the reason or the exclusivity, which is quite straight forward:

"Xbox has been very good to Frontier, and we've done a lot of games over the past decade with Microsoft. We did a launch title with Xbox One, Zoo Tycoon, all with the same tech and ScreamRide came out. We've got a lot of people with experience on the tech, so we can get on it straight away, and our tools have been tested, are battle-hardened, on the system. Obviously we've got a great relationship with Microsoft too."

The exclusivity - it's a timed exclusive, although Braben couldn't divulge details of how long the window is - is clearly a big deal to Microsoft, with Xbox boss Phil Spencer placing the announcement at the top of his GDC talk.
Apparently, the parity clause is still there, but being an exclusive it warrants you it won't be launched on another system at the same time, although now developers that lack resources can launch a game later on the Xbox One.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...gn=microsoft-relaxes-xbox-indie-parity-clause

Huh. That's interesting. While I'm excited about the game, my reasons for being excited are rather silly.. they date back to playing the text only game of Trade Wars in the 1980s and hoping this is a similar experience but with graphics and maybe a little bit of twitch controller fighting (rather than just winning battles based upon math).

I'm not sure there's a large enough market for this game for it to be "a big deal" for MS to have it as a timed exclusive. It's not GTA or COD or Madden or anything.

Hopefully the exclusivity deal will be closer to weeks than months for the benefit of the PS4 folks.

I also read that the crossplay aspect is more about being in the same consistent universe, rather than actual interaction between console and PC. It will be interesting to see how that is handled.
Like you, my reasons for my incredible hype about this game are rather shallow, 'cos I only played a "trade" space simulator game back in 1995 on the PC, although I truly loved it.

What I wonder though is WHY this game the highest successfully completed goal in Kickstarter history of all time.. maybe @Davros enthusiasm and posts in this thread have the response to that "mystery".

Another thing is getting me enamoured of this game is Astra!! :love::love: :

Apparently, the parity clause is still there, but being an exclusive it warrants you it won't be launched on another system at the same time, although now developers that lack resources can launch a game later on the Xbox One.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...gn=microsoft-relaxes-xbox-indie-parity-clause

Like you, my reasons for my incredible hype about this game are rather shallow, 'cos I only played a "trade" space simulator game back in 1995 on the PC, although I truly loved it.

What I wonder though is WHY this game the highest successfully completed goal in Kickstarter history of all time.. maybe @Davros enthusiasm and posts in this thread have the response to that "mystery".

Another thing is getting me enamoured of this game is Astra!! :love::love: :

Why does it have a pic of cortana?

Yeah, DayZ is coming (as well as H1Z1) and the only other thing I wanted to play was Elite...essentially I have a laptop (and Surface pro) so no longer need a 'gaming' PC - in fact the money I could sell it for could go towards Morpheus...it's tempting. Also, as my son has a better spec we were thinking of going halves on a better GPU & Oculus so maybe that's what my PC can go towards...it's very tempting!

Back