Elite Dangerous [XBO]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11852
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 11852

I couldn't see a thread for this. It's due out on PC/Windows next March, Mac/OSX three months later and consoles at some point further down the road.

Eurogamer just carried an article that states if you chipped £200 into the kickstarter then the alpha release is now playable on PC/Windows. There is a video included and while it doesn't show a great deal, it certainly brings back happy memories of playing this on the C64 and it's looking pretty good already.

I really hope this comes to PS4.

As much as I want to play an updated elite, I'm not paying £200!!!

£200? That's sort of tempting.
For early access to an alpha... I'd rather buy 4 games with that except if I truly loved the game. I purchased 12 games already this generation and it's time to slow down a little, I don't know what to play at the moment, so many good games, and you need to invest a good amount of time on them to complete them.

For early access to an alpha... I'd rather buy 4 games with that except if I truly loved the game. I purchased 12 games already this generation and it's time to slow down a little, I don't know what to play at the moment, so many good games, and you need to invest a good amount of time on them to complete them.

It's not 200 pounds to play the Alpha. The Alpha was a reward for the pledge tier. So that people that wanted to pitch in that amount of money got that as a reward.

To not cheapen their original pledge, any new backers of the game have to pitch in that much to get that tier of rewards.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous

Look at the right hand column to see what rewards you get. For that 200 pound investment you get all rewards of that tier and below. Digital novel, in game ships, in game currency, ALL future expansions, collector's boxed edition, t-shirt, physical novel, and much more.

So far far more than just getting to try the Alpha.

Regards,
SB

Exactly, alpha-access is a reward for supporting the game via kickstarter with significantly more than the normal amount of money, and is not the price of the finished game. I'm not surprised that so many people have spent that sort of cash, there are some of us that have been waiting 20 years for this game to arrive.

It's still peanuts compared to what some people are paying out to Star Citizen.

Chaps we know how kickstarted works. Nobody thinks the game is £200 :???:

It's not 200 pounds to play the Alpha. The Alpha was a reward for the pledge tier. So that people that wanted to pitch in that amount of money got that as a reward.

To not cheapen their original pledge, any new backers of the game have to pitch in that much to get that tier of rewards.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous

Look at the right hand column to see what rewards you get. For that 200 pound investment you get all rewards of that tier and below. Digital novel, in game ships, in game currency, ALL future expansions, collector's boxed edition, t-shirt, physical novel, and much more.

So far far more than just getting to try the Alpha.

Regards,
SB
Thanks, that explains it -Dsoup, I am not fully aware of Kickstarter proceedings, really-.

I will see how things pan out for this game, I never played Star Citizen nor I feel hyped when I hear that name, I don't even know what it is. The last space combat game I purchased was good, Freespace 2, which I bought at GoG.com for my PC.

I hope this Elite game comes out for consoles, though. For those pledging more than 5000 pounds, their choice makes me begin to think this game might be worth it.

you did install freespace 2 open and the media vp's ?
also fsport (freespace 1 using the fs2 open engine)
pps: absolutely rocks with a forcefeedback joystick

I will see how things pan out for this game, I never played Star Citizen nor I feel hyped when I hear that name, I don't even know what it is.

Star Citizen is a behemoth semi-MMO space-sim done by Chris Roberts of Wing Commander fame that is currently in development. It's not a remake of an older game. It is also a Kickstarter project (ie crowdsourced), and last time I checked had raised $32 million dollars in funding. There is crazy money being thrown at Star Citizen, and I think it inspired David Braben to do the same thing with Elite Dangerous.

I don't think Star Citizen will be on consoles as it's been targeted at high end PCs, but you never know, things can change in the future.

you did install freespace 2 open and the media vp's ?
also fsport (freespace 1 using the fs2 open engine)
pps: absolutely rocks with a forcefeedback joystick
I did, right now I don't have it installed but I am going to re-install it very soon, along with the rest of my GoG games, I lost all my installs after the Windows 8.1 digital blackout :smile: -the OS deleted my previous applications, although not my essential files like Documents, pictures and so on- when I switched to it from 8.0.

I wonder what's an vp... I have a joystick for the PC, but I barely use it except for emulators.

Whenever I buy a new PC I will purchase one of those.

Star Citizen is a behemoth semi-MMO space-sim done by Chris Roberts of Wing Commander fame that is currently in development. It's not a remake of an older game. It is also a Kickstarter project (ie crowdsourced), and last time I checked had raised $32 million dollars in funding. There is crazy money being thrown at Star Citizen, and I think it inspired David Braben to do the same thing with Elite Dangerous.

I don't think Star Citizen will be on consoles as it's been targeted at high end PCs, but you never know, things can change in the future.
Ah, yes, thanks for the explanation. I kinda recall it now, I think I watched a 4000k trailer of the game, a-wesome stuff.

I think I mixed it up with something else, I thought Elite Dangerous was some kind of spiritual successor of Star Citizen.

Yes, Chris Roberts has stated that he won't even think about a console version until the PC version is done. That's assuming he decides he even wants to make a console version after the PC version is done.

It is pretty amazing that they have raised 32 million USD entirely from crowdsourcing (none of that 32 million USD is from publishers, traditional investors, etc.).

Regards,
SB

As long as Star Citizen also supports lower end rig configuration settings(which it does), a console port is possible. Let's hope its sooner rather than later

Thanks, that explains it -Dsoup, I am not fully aware of Kickstarter proceedings, really-
Sorry, I thought most people were. The price, and it being a reward for certain Kickstarter backers was explained in the Eurogamer article I linked, but you just jumped straight to the video didn't you? :p

I am really looking forward to Elite Dangerous. Ignroing the original EverQuest and World of Warcraft, Elite on the C64 still stands as the game I've sunk more hours into than any other. It beats Fallout 3, Oblivion and Skyrim - each of which I've played for hundreds of hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those of you who have just had your interest in Spacesims rekindled should checkout the free spacesims thread
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread...abylon+project
It's not working, I don't know why.

EDIT: Thanks for the explanation about the vps, I shall check them and see where I can find them when I re-install the game. I have two account in my Windows 8.1 OS, one where I install every program and so on, and another where I just have Office 2013 and a very few other applications, which is my Xbox Live account -which is in turn based on a Hotmail account-. Everything is tightly integrated. The OS, Office, email, Skydrive, Xbox Live, etc etc. Works well for me. This account is quick because of that, I have just the essential things.

The other account is exactly the same -it's associated with a silver Xbox Live account, not gold though- except for the fact that I use to install my games and my music DAWs, pictures and music files and stuff. It's a bit more cluttered but also functional. I also have Steam, Origin and Gamestop's online thingy installed there.

Those are the benefits of having two accounts in the same OS for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eurogamer are reporting that Phil Spencer, during a GDC presentation, has said that Elite Dangerous is coming to Xbox One this summer.

I sure hope it comes to PS4 as well, there is no reported suggestion of exclusivity.

Back