Editorial: Nintendo Wii, Harbinger For The Death Of Gaming

I think it is quite fair, afterall that is the reality of the situation when one is looking to purchase a console. The fact is developers aren't interested in investing lots of money/resources in making high production value games which are all going to X360/PS3. Only the low production (cheaper development) games are going to Wii. I don't see that changing in the next few years and that's too bad.

If monthly Wii sales continue outpacing 360 sales 2:1, and PS3 sales 3:1, then you'll see the high production value games shifting to the Wii.

In the end, $$ trumps technology. And while the Wii is no match for the 360 or PS3 in processing power, it certainly is no slouch.

The weakness in what you say, is that you positively could have said the exact same thing a year ago... And can continue for a whole year, given current situation.

Do you really expect games powerhouses to have this reasonning : "Ok, Wii's install basis is x millions, but let us not invest on it because we won't be able to implement all those shaders and advanced physics".

Then what about the ps2 install base? After all, the Wii is much closer in performance to the PS2 than it is the PS3.

If developers only cared about the biggest install base and didn't care about pushing the envelope then why don't they just keep releasing PS2 games? It is 100M vs 6M after all.

A large install base does not guarantee a game is going to sell well. If you cannot make your games exciting enough or improve on the formula enough to keep gamers coming back, then your platform is dead in the water regardless of install base. Your customers will just move on to greener pastures.

I also think people discount too much the idea that developers simply do not want to make Wii games. They don't want to be bound those shackles of last gen tech. This is nothing like xbox vs ps2. The delta between the Wii and PS3/X360 is huge. When talking about game developers we are usually talking about people who do what they do because they actually like making games. Money is not the biggest factor - If they wanted to simply make money, there are a plethora of more lucrative industries these talented people could be working in instead. If the platform is uninteresting, the top developers are not going to develop for it, regardless of install base.

Should also add that there is almost no chance that the Wii will outsell the cumulative sales of PS3+X360. So really where the biggest $$$ are, if that is really what it comes down to, is mutiplatform PS3+X360 games. Plus even a multi platform game for the HD consoles is going to result in a far better looking game than an exclusive Wii title.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also think people discount too much the idea that developers simply do not want to make Wii games.
A lot of devs have said (going by vocal comments) they like Wii and want to make Wii games. I think the concern though is what sort of games? Are they think complex epics, or 'back-to-basics' gameplay? Historically has there ever been a console that's much below the tech curve of it's competitors? With each gen, technology advances and the devs see opportunities to create better experiences, no longer held back in the same way as the old tech. And those opportunities existed with every console in the next generation as they all took the tech forwards a similar amount. The response to Wii is going to have to be different. They won't be able to say 'now we can create those huge army gameplay mechanics in this realistic rendering model like we've always wanted to do.' They'll have to say 'graphics wise we'll still be producing rather gamey looking graphics and they won't be so epic, but we have a different controller'. Thus the controller is the source of inspiration, not the system power. The way I see it, devs don't look at Wii and think 'I can create this amazing emotional experience that pulls the player in' even though they were doing that last gen to a lesser degree; that's the response you get from looking at lots more system power. Instead they see Wii as something new, no longer constrained by the control limits of last gen. The controller itself doesn't suggest super-epic titles. Thus when devs say their wanting to create Wii titles, are they thinking FFXIV and Super-Dooper-Racer and Soccer? Are the devs thinking of those titles looking to Wii and it's controller, or the other platforms and their more power? Are devs looking at Wii and seeing a chance to create something simpler and fun? It's like Jaffe and his download titles. Working for years on epic games (or any creative endeavour) is a lot of work, and the chance to be creative but on a smaller scale is bound to be appealing. It could be analgous to showing a professional film scorer a fancy synth box that creates amazing soundscapes. They'll probably say 'I want to use that device' and create some original stuff, but they'll still return to scoring a full orchestral piece because that's where the epic sound comes from, in 'tried and tested' fashion.

Devs have shown an interest in developing for Wii. The type of interest is an unknown quality. Will they be content to tell their stories and realize their ideas in an audio visual medium much closer to how it's been the past 5 years, than on what's possible with the latest technology? Will what's AAA by last-gen stands be considered AAA on Wii with it's lesser improvements (barring control) or will the idea of AAA not be possible on Wii because the bar has been set higher on the other machines? What was AAA on PS1 isn't on PS2 - you couldn't release PS1 titles now on PS2 without people complaining at the low quality. Neither could you release PS1+ titles. So I'm not sure if Wii's best experience will have the same impact. As standards move on, people become less impressed.

Then what about the ps2 install base? After all, the Wii is much closer in performance to the PS2 than it is the PS3.

If developers only cared about the biggest install base and didn't care about pushing the envelope then why don't they just keep releasing PS2 games? It is 100M vs 6M after all.

A large install base does not guarantee a game is going to sell well. If you cannot make your games exciting enough or improve on the formula enough to keep gamers coming back, then your platform is dead in the water regardless of install base. Your customers will just move on to greener pastures.

I also think people discount too much the idea that developers simply do not want to make Wii games. They don't want to be bound those shackles of last gen tech. This is nothing like xbox vs ps2. The delta between the Wii and PS3/X360 is huge. When talking about game developers we are usually talking about people who do what they do because they actually like making games. Money is not the biggest factor - If they wanted to simply make money, there are a plethora of more lucrative industries these talented people could be working in instead. If the platform is uninteresting, the top developers are not going to develop for it, regardless of install base.

The PS2 is 7 years old, and developers have pretty much done whatever they are going to do with the architecture. There's pretty much nothing left to squeeze out of it. See God of War 2 as an example. That said, the PS2 was easily the weakest console of the last generation, yet it did the best because of marketshare and 3rd party support.

The Wii is a completely different and more powerful architecture and completely different control interface. That changes the paradigm of developing for the Wii in a significant way that is different than just upgrading the processing power alone.

As for the PS2 install base, it's really simple. After a certain amount of time, consumers become bored with what they've purchased, even if it works just fine. That's how the console market has evolved over the years.

If the Wii's install base is large enough, it will start to receive the exclusives that the 360 and PS3 were originally going to receive. See the DQ9 defection to the DS as an example. Also see the defections of MGS and DMC to the 360, among other titles, which were originally exclusive to the PS3. When did the developers make those decisions regarding non-exclusiveness? When the PS3 sales were in the crapper.

Marketshare/Consumer interest + Newness determine support. If Wii continues selling as it has, it will get those exclusives. Besides that, the very nature of the control scheme and the architecture of the system have largely determined that its library will be exclusive by default. I don't see another console effectively mimicking Wii Sports or SSX Blur or Madden 2007 or the potential FPS controls like Red Steel, game quality notwithstanding.

Understand what I'm getting at?

Should also add that there is almost no chance that the Wii will outsell the cumulative sales of PS3+X360. So really where the biggest $$$ are, if that is really what it comes down to, is mutiplatform PS3+X360 games. Plus even a multi platform game for the HD consoles is going to result in a far better looking game than an exclusive Wii title.

Right now the Wii is outselling the 360 2:1 on a monthly basis. And in the last few months it has increased its sales lead over the PS3 by 3:1. Don't make such definitive statements. Just a year ago people were making definitive statements that the Wii and 360 would be utterly trampled by the PS3. Look where those definitive statements got them.

The controller itself doesn't suggest super-epic titles.

Shifty, while I think you make a good point with the rest of your post, could you please elaborate on this specific part ? More specifically, what is it about the controllers of the other consoles that suggests "super-epic titles" ?

There are already some pretty "epic" titles on the Wii, like Zelda, COD3, MoH : Vanguard or even Red Steel (that not all those games are AAA doesn't mean they didn't try for an "epic" experience). There are some pretty ambitious games coming, like Metroid Prime 3, Spiderman 3, Super Mario Galaxy, RE:UC... Just because the Wiimote can be used easily for simple and fun games doesn't mean all games have to be like that. There's a huge potential in the Wiimote for other "more serious" types of games.

Besides, game "epicness" and controls complexity are generally unrelated. Most JRPGs have very "epic" storylines and character progression, yet most of them could still be played with a SNES pad.

A lot of devs have said (going by vocal comments) they like Wii and want to make Wii games. I think the concern though is what sort of games? Are they think complex epics, or 'back-to-basics' gameplay?

Agreed. If developers follow the overall early lead of Nintendo and only release party games and tech demos to show off the controls, the Wii will die an early death (Zelda and Excite Truck notwithstanding). However, from the games that we've seen it appears that developers are trying to visit a diverse culture of games on the Wii. But it certainly needs more.

Historically has there ever been a console that's much below the tech curve of it's competitors? With each gen, technology advances and the devs see opportunities to create better experiences, no longer held back in the same way as the old tech. And those opportunities existed with every console in the next generation as they all took the tech forwards a similar amount.

NES vs Master System and Turbografx-16
SNES and Genesis vs Neo Geo
Wii vs PS3 and Xbox 360

Those are the only ones I can think of in the modern era of gaming, i.e. post 1984.

The response to Wii is going to have to be different. They won't be able to say 'now we can create those huge army gameplay mechanics in this realistic rendering model like we've always wanted to do.' They'll have to say 'graphics wise we'll still be producing rather gamey looking graphics and they won't be so epic, but we have a different controller'. Thus the controller is the source of inspiration, not the system power. The way I see it, devs don't look at Wii and think 'I can create this amazing emotional experience that pulls the player in' even though they were doing that last gen to a lesser degree; that's the response you get from looking at lots more system power. Instead they see Wii as something new, no longer constrained by the control limits of last gen. The controller itself doesn't suggest super-epic titles. Thus when devs say their wanting to create Wii titles, are they thinking FFXIV and Super-Dooper-Racer and Soccer? Are the devs thinking of those titles looking to Wii and it's controller, or the other platforms and their more power? Are devs looking at Wii and seeing a chance to create something simpler and fun? It's like Jaffe and his download titles. Working for years on epic games (or any creative endeavour) is a lot of work, and the chance to be creative but on a smaller scale is bound to be appealing. It could be analgous to showing a professional film scorer a fancy synth box that creates amazing soundscapes. They'll probably say 'I want to use that device' and create some original stuff, but they'll still return to scoring a full orchestral piece because that's where the epic sound comes from, in 'tried and tested' fashion.

I agree with this on some levels and disagree on others. I don't think that graphics determine the epic scale of a game, but I do agree with the notion that developers interested in pushing the graphical envelope this generation may not target those kinds of games at the Wii.

For example, if Take Two's GTAIV is built on the paradigm of significantly upgraded graphics, then no, that game will not come to the Wii. However, if they go the route that Scarface and Godfather went, i.e. significantly upgraded control experience (with the opportunity to significantly upgrade the graphics over the Xbox/GC/PS2 gen as well if they desire), then GTAIV on Wii can be accomplished.

The question becomes, what is more satisfying for the developers and the end users. Graphics that are completely impossible on a prior generation system, or controls and interface that are completely impossible on a prior generation system.

The reason why my opinion of gaming has tempered through the years is because I've been through the "much greater graphics and sound!" iterations of each generation. It's fantastic to see the progression of games from Panzer Dragoon to Lair, for example. But at its core, the user interface remains the same. The way in which I feel about the game from a control aspect remains the same.

The Wii allows developers and users to break out of that "ho hum" cycle and think about games differently. Now eventually, even the new controls will grow tired and used up. See the reaction to the analog control scheme with the N64, and where we are today, for example. It will be up to the console makers to continue to innovate to ensure an improved end user experience that simply does not iterate on prior generations.

Now don't get me wrong. I don't want Wii-level graphics in Wii 2. It's a balance of improved graphics and improved control that makes a console successful. I think Nintendo took a gamble in saying that rather than increasing the processing power of our next console over the Gamecube by a factor of 10, ala PS3 and Xbox 360, we'll increase the processing power by a factor of 2-3 and change the control paradigm.

Whether that is enough for consumers and developers over the course of the system's life is something that we simply do not have the answer for right now. However, I do believe that the early stages of this race show an opportunity to explore this question effectively.

Agree or disagree with Nintendo's decisions on the Wii, everyone has to admit that we're the richer for having that avenue opened. I have to admit that if this generation of games were simply prettier versions of last-gen games, I honestly don't know whether I would be all that interested. The Wii has certainly piqued my interest, and even got me looking at the 360 and PS3 whereas before I probably would not have been. Granted they need to drop those prices into the $200-$300 range for me to buy one, but the point is that I'm definitely intrigued by what's going on in the console market, and the true choices we have this generation.

We definitely have more choices in terms of different game experiences than we've had in a very long time, and I think the gaming market is the better for it, not the worse as the article's author and others in this thread have stated.

What has performance to do with it? ps2 is walking on its last legs and except for bigger titels software sales have already been slowing down for some time now. I cant escape the feeling you almost only watch to horsepower. No matter what, ps2 is dying and will be replaced by ps3 and Wii will be on the shelves for the next few years just as ps3 and x360 and will only continue to grow.

Because software sales are very much declining like I said above.

If you cannot make your games exciting enough or improve on the formula enough to keep gamers coming back,

But that hasnt anything to do with whatever platform you are releasing your game on.

When talking about game developers we are usually talking about people who do what they do because they actually like making games.

And what makes you think a new way of controlling is worthless to them while another improvement in hardware as they had for the last 20 years makes them so much more happy? Fundementally no x360 or ps3 will be different from ps2/xbox. it will be the same games only better looking while Wii has the potential to make a game different from what we had for the last decade or so. Not that gfx are not important, but if devs like to make games I can see both wii and x360/ps3 having their pro's and con's.

If the platform is uninteresting, the top developers are not going to develop for it, regardless of install base.

So what made the ps2 so much more interresting to dev for than GC and xbox? It isnt faster, it doesnt offer some special hardware the others dont have, it doesnt offer extra services like live (atleast not on the same level) it basically doesnt have anything extra above GC and xbox aside from the userbase and still most AAA games were released on ps2. I cant see any other reason than userbase for this. And this brings us back to horsepower. if that really was that important, than why didnt everbody dev for Xbox or maybe GC? you can easily see that the better looking gc and xbox games look alot better than ps2 games. But that didnt really seem to bother devs.

Should also add that there is almost no chance that the Wii will outsell the cumulative sales of PS3+X360.

Even though I definitly agree with this it is basically what sony did for the last decade so I wont say its that impossible. Looking at current sales it doesnt even seem that impossible ;)

Plus even a multi platform game for the HD consoles is going to result in a far better looking game than an exclusive Wii title.

Ofcouse. But what makes you think the majority of the market has gfx as their #1 priority? If that is the case, than why wasnt xbox the console of choice last gen? or why isnt pc the biggest platform? price and quality games for example already seem to be more important in the choice for a platform than gfx.

Just curious. Do we have an idea how many PS2 are still running nowadays ? 100 millions is what was sold, but do we have any number about the real installed base with working units ??

Just curious. Do we have an idea how many PS2 are still running nowadays ? 100 millions is what was sold, but do we have any number about the real installed base with working units ??

I doubt there's any real reliable way to uncover that kind of information. It would be useful though.

NES vs Master System and Turbografx-16
SNES and Genesis vs Neo Geo
Wii vs PS3 and Xbox 360

Those are the only ones I can think of in the modern era of gaming, i.e. post 1984.

Playstation vs N64. Don't forget that the so-called "16-bit era" wasn't defined by near-simultaneous product launches. In the USA, we had the launches of:
Genesis, Turbografx: 1989
Neo Geo: 1990
SNES: 1991
Jaguar, 3DO: 1993
Saturn, Playstation: 1994

In particular, SNES saw fairly major releases all the way up through 1996, the last probably being Donkey Kong Country 3 and Street Fighter Alpha 2 in November '96, a good 2 years into the 32-bit generation. Boiling down the success or failure of any product to just graphics is clearly a huge oversimplification. It's obviously a factor, but on the other hand, lacking graphics can be made up for with other factors.

If the Wii-mote is really as innovative as people say it is, it will be only a matter of time before it's copied and redone. And I don't any such BS like "it won't be standard then!" If Sony's or MS's bottom line is threatened, they will give away millions of them or bundle them with their system. I also see a PS2 version too. If or when this happens, I can't imagine the Wii's future looking too bright.

Shifty, while I think you make a good point with the rest of your post, could you please elaborate on this specific part ?
Not really! The notion of 'super-epic; is hazy, and it means different things to different people. I just guess, if you look at titles that were impressive AAA titles last gen, and think how are you going to take them forwards, looking at Wii the first thought is 'we'll try a different control interface' and then you think 'and make it look a bit better, and get a few more mobs in there.' Looking at XB360 and PS3, the first reaction is 'we can make it huge and a graphical masterpiece.' Perhaps in PS3's case you'd think 'we can also add motion control.'

I honestly don't know what the general impression of AAA is going to be. Taking SoTC as an example, consider a sequel on Wii and PS3. The PS3 version will play the same to the original, but looking gobsmackingly good - amoung the best graphics seen in any games to date. Wii will look better than the PS2 version, but look dated by the current top-end standards, and have some motion control that may be very intuitive. i didn't get on too well with a brief play at SoTC. Motion controls might be a lot more immersive. Yet though I personally might consider the Wii game to be a better game, I doubt I'd rate it 'super-epic'. That would go to the bestest looking, most grandious vision. Which system would Team ICO prefer to develop for - the one that looks incredible, or the one that controls differently? And if Team ICO want to go with something complex next time (perhaps a half a dozen SoTC type monsters on screen at once), would the Wii be able to manage that still with the sense of grandious adventuring?

And if Team ICO want to go with something complex next time (perhaps a half a dozen SoTC type monsters on screen at once), would the Wii be able to manage that still with the sense of grandious adventuring?

That's what it is really all about. It doesn't have to be grandiose either - thinking of super rub-a-duck's water dynamics as an example of what new kind of things are possible in that respect. Irrespective of whether you like that game, it shows that you can add interesting new things like realistic water dynamics to create a new gameplay experience, because you have the processing power to do it.

If the Wii-mote is really as innovative as people say it is, it will be only a matter of time before it's copied and redone. And I don't any such BS like "it won't be standard then!" If Sony's or MS's bottom line is threatened, they will give away millions of them or bundle them with their system. I also see a PS2 version too. If or when this happens, I can't imagine the Wii's future looking too bright.

I think Nintendo will be also quite happy with the licensing fees alone then :)

Not really! The notion of 'super-epic; is hazy, and it means different things to different people. I just guess, if you look at titles that were impressive AAA titles last gen, and think how are you going to take them forwards, looking at Wii the first thought is 'we'll try a different control interface' and then you think 'and make it look a bit better, and get a few more mobs in there.' Looking at XB360 and PS3, the first reaction is 'we can make it huge and a graphical masterpiece.' Perhaps in PS3's case you'd think 'we can also add motion control.'

I honestly don't know what the general impression of AAA is going to be. Taking SoTC as an example, consider a sequel on Wii and PS3. The PS3 version will play the same to the original, but looking gobsmackingly good - amoung the best graphics seen in any games to date. Wii will look better than the PS2 version, but look dated by the current top-end standards, and have some motion control that may be very intuitive. i didn't get on too well with a brief play at SoTC. Motion controls might be a lot more immersive. Yet though I personally might consider the Wii game to be a better game, I doubt I'd rate it 'super-epic'. That would go to the bestest looking, most grandious vision. Which system would Team ICO prefer to develop for - the one that looks incredible, or the one that controls differently? And if Team ICO want to go with something complex next time (perhaps a half a dozen SoTC type monsters on screen at once), would the Wii be able to manage that still with the sense of grandious adventuring?

For some reason their seems to be this misconcepton here that game design (going forward) will be focused on an emphasis on only either the user interface or graphics.. This is just wierd..

1) I doubt many designers will take the approach to game design from looking at the hardware (interface, performance, features etc..) and then build a concept from the bottom up.. The vast majority of game designers will probably already have a "great idea" or concept they've been thinking about for a while and then ask two questions; "Is this idea, including theme, mechanics or whatever, feasible given the limitations of the platform? (disadvantages)" and "What aspects of the platform (advantages) can contribute to my idea in ways that may enrich the experience?".. I don't think these point by any means "define" the game, unless you've hired very uninspired and non-creative design staff..

2) There are going to be many developers who grew up with the conventions of user input in the console space (pre-Wii) and had developed vast arrays of ideas and concept they wished to implement.. I'm sure a good proportion of them, given the option of development on either the Wii or one of the HD platforms, could possibly look at the Wii and urge against the idea of shoe-horning their existing idea to try and get it to work with such an un-familiar controller (which could potentially cause more problems than it would solve with respect to game design and balancing the experience..) and see the introduction of the next gen consoles as the only safe path to fully express their vision (ideas) in the way it was intended to be done from the beginning.. How many times would a PS2, GC or Xbox designer, after having his idea for a feature turned down by the rest of the dev staff (due to a lack of technical feasibility) say something like "Imagine how cool it would be if we could do this in the future..?" I'm sure this has happened in most development companies a considerable number of times..

3) The added horsepower of the next generation consoles does not offer developers only a means of advancing the visual expression of their creations but much much more in terms of interactivity (not on the physical-controller-to-game side but on the astract-controller-to-game side..), immersion (physics, advanced AI etc..) and breadth of the experience (in-depth online functionality for example..) Considering we've had over a decade of convention with respect to the user interfaces of console gaming and yet STILL we've seen new game genres and experiences express control via abstract and novel uses of the same conventional physical control device leads me to believe that this trend will NOT just "go away" with the HD consoles and, with the hardware offering new levels of interactivity within a game (physicall interactive environments/entities, new levels of user-to-avatar control etc..) will likely increase and allow developers to create new ways of controlling new games..

4) When you think about the Wii in a different context then one could say that it hasn't offered anything specifically "new" with respect to how it is used in games.. Granted it has allowed the link between user-action and response within the context of the game to become much more "natural" (i.e. swinging your arms as opposed to pressing a button..) but the response itself (hitting a ball with a bat) has not changed so far.. There isn't a game on the Wii which so far *couldn't* be done on the HD consoles since the user-actions can be translated into a much more abstract form (pressing a button or a combination thereof) and balanced to make the game intuitive (albeit less entertaining).. The only thing the Wii has offered so far has been the novelty of the controller and it's in that, that the increased value of "fun" can be derived.. Once the novelty wears off then what does that leave?
I'd say it practically leaves both the Wii and the the HD consoles in the same place with variations of user-action linking to the same conventional in-game responses.. Therefore the onus is then upon the Wii developers to innovate with response to the astract-controller-to-game side of things, just the same as everybody else..

In the end the fact remains that the real differences between the two consoles are relatively superficial and its really upto the developers to create new games which innovate with respect to control, however the physical handle (controller or whatever) is only one aspect of this and by far does not prohibit developers working on HD games from innovating just as much as the Wii devs..

but the response itself (hitting a ball with a bat) has not changed so far.. There isn't a game on the Wii which so far *couldn't* be done on the HD consoles since the user-actions can be translated into a much more abstract form (pressing a button or a combination thereof) and balanced to make the game intuitive (albeit less entertaining)..

Not even something like Wii sports could be done on anything else out there, since you have no way to control the intensity, spin or direction of that button. Unless you use 7 buttons for one action, which would obviously be totally ridiculous.

Also, the immersion is WAY better than sitting on a sofa with a gamepad in your hands. A different order of magnitude, really.

The only thing the Wii has offered so far has been the novelty of the controller and it's in that, that the increased value of "fun" can be derived.. Once the novelty wears off then what does that leave?

Dude, that "novelty" already made my biceps/triceps 10% bigger in the last week alone through intense Wii-Boxing sessions :) Saw that guy who documented his trainig with Wii for several weeks? I can confirm it's working and it feels great.

Why do you think it's a novelty? I keep hearing this, usually from people who never actually played for more than a few minutes. The capabilities for many nice things are definitely there, it just takes developers to produce interesting stuff around that. And that _is_ happening.

BTW, I wouldn't even compare the Wii with the "HD" consoles, IMO Wii is the real console (= easy gaming fun), while the X360 and PS3 are fancy-looking somewhat crippled PC's, bluntly said.

You're looking at PS4/NextBox before Sony and MS adopt full motion controls like the Wiimote. No peripheral or post-launch addon in the history of gaming has ever succeeded long term. Ever.

Not even something like Wii sports could be done on anything else out there, since you have no way to control the intensity, spin or direction of that button. Unless you use 7 buttons for one action, which would obviously be totally ridiculous.

You could control intensity via the analogue face buttons, direction via the analogue stick at the same time the button is pressed (hence the reason I said it could be re-mapped via the use of buttons or a combination thereof..)
Granted you'd end up with an experience which is much less intuitive but in the end the end result (a tennis game) is not only possible using the conventional controller but has been done a million times over with some very good results (Virtua Tennis for example..)

I'm talking here about how a physical-to-game mapping can be converted into a physical-to-abstract-controller-to-game mapping successfully (However it obviously won't retain the same natural feel, intuitiveness and hence, the same novelty of the Wii system..)

Also, the immersion is WAY better than sitting on a sofa with a gamepad in your hands. A different order of magnitude, really.
Subjective.. And that depends entirely on the game itself.. There are many types of games that, given a specific interaction model, really wouldn't be all that fun to play without a gamepad..

Dude, that "novelty" already made my biceps/triceps 10% bigger in the last week alone through intense Wii-Boxing sessions :) Saw that guy who documented his trainig with Wii for several weeks? I can confirm it's working and it feels great.
Good for you and good for him!

Why do you think it's a novelty? I keep hearing this, usually from people who never actually played for more than a few minutes. The capabilities for many nice things are definitely there, it just takes developers to produce interesting stuff around that. And that _is_ happening.

Well i've played quite alot of Wii to be fair since we have several in our studio and practically everyone working here owns one (one of our producers gets us great discounts from his contact at nintendo)..
I consider the controller a novelty because its something that one can immediately draw enjoyment from using since it's not something one maybe familiar with.. Fundamentally novelty is a very powerful driver of "fun" in games and it's things like novel features of a platform, conventional features/themes/mechanics used in novel ways, which are used all the time to give a game entertainment value.. The Wii's success so far has been based soley around this concept..

Once the console has been around for a few years and Wii gamers have become accustomed to the input paradigm the only source of fun the controller will provide will be dependant on the context of novel use.. It's then that the developers will either have to look towards adding depth to the games themselves or find new/novel ways to use the Wiimote in order to provide gamers with new thrills and excitement..

How many people do you know that enjoy playing PS2 after 5 years (regardless of the game) just because they enjoy waggling the analogue sticks..?

BTW, I wouldn't even compare the Wii with the "HD" consoles, IMO Wii is the real console (= easy gaming fun), while the X360 and PS3 are fancy-looking somewhat crippled PC's, bluntly said.

It's unlikely then that you've played any of them for more than a few minutes (by your own logic..) ;)

Back