Editorial: Nintendo Wii, Harbinger For The Death Of Gaming

Natoma

Veteran
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Editorial-Nintendo-Wii-Harbinger-For-The-Death-Of-Gaming-3703.html

So often in the realm of gaming certain things become vogue. For instance: Hating EA. They put out pretty solid titles for the casual gamer. What’s so terrible about that? If you don’t like it, get over it and ignore them. Loving the Dreamcast: I’m not going to judge either way on this one as I have neither the time nor the bankroll to buy all the games on this system that are said to be so amazing. Want to test this theory? Go ahead and write, “REZ SUCKS!!!” on any forum even loosely related to gaming. See what happens.

With all the positive press going around about the majesty of the Nintendo Wii, I thought it only appropriate to have a sit down and really examine whether any of it is actually warranted. And so I sat down in front of my imaginary fireplace, had a puff or two of my bubble pipe, whipped out the spread sheets and other documents and gave it a good think.

While the results of my study may be a little difficult to stomach, I assure you they are the product of tireless logic and have little if anything to do with personal bias, especially considering I’ve been a Nintendo fan since childhood.

I can think of no better place to begin an article about the future, than at the present.
It’s 2007. The Nintendo Wii is destroying everything in its path.

Nintendo can swear up and down that they don’t plan to alienate the hardcore gamer with Wii, but that doesn’t make it true. I’m sure they don’t want to alienate us, but they’ll do it anyways. Their past two home consoles have been almost exclusively a casual affair. It’s textbook Nintendo. The N64 and Gamecube were virtually identical. Nintendo churns out a handful of in-house classics for the devoted fans, and after that…silence, darkness, and then death.

Perhaps the worst part about all of this is that Nintendo is having a great deal of success with this formula. It’s really only a matter of time before Sony and Microsoft wake up and realize that Nintendo is destroying their sales numbers, and when this happens they’ll follow suit and change their aim to target the new gamer. There will be a new console war, one that doesn’t include us. You the gamer’s have been the hardest fighting grunt level soldiers of the console wars over the past decades. You’re grizzled old veterans with rough leathery skin marked by scars of battles long since past. The console wars are won on the frontlines by you guys providing word of mouth advertising. You are the veterans who got Nintendo where they are today and now it’s time to ask for a little something in return. You don’t turn your back on your veterans. Who does Nintendo think they are, the United States Government?
As a Nintendo fan I must say I disagree with his statements, but I have to admit that given the N64 and Cube, there is some merit to his fears.

Given stories such as this, however, I'm thinking that going forward his fears will be unfounded and that there won't be the software droughts that plagued the last two Nintendo consoles.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?
Much fuss about nothing. I'd love to see his "spread sheets and other documents", his definition of "hardcore gamer", and his analysis of EA's "solid titles for the casual gamer". The introduction alone is a solid mutli-pronged confession of someone who games a lot but has not managed to glean insight into why, what and how. I will have to cleanse my eyes with a tooth-brush if this continues.

Maybe he should play Rez before pooing on it. And he very clearly needs to be forced to play Pikmin and Chibi-Robo. Maybe he should be locked in a room with no keyboard and no internet access until he can understand that there exists a separation between a game with a family-compatible presentation and a casual game. Maybe somewhere during the process he'll also learn to appreciate creativity, which is the very reason why certain types of success are hard to replicate at will by competitors.

Now I'm a pompous self-righteous tool sometimes, but this freakshow of ignorance just makes me majorly sick. Bleh.

This one quote says it all:
Doesn’t it piss you off when you see the release schedule for a Nintendo system and all you see are games licensed from Pixar movies and Disney channel shows? We paid over two hundred dollars for this system too. And Nintendo continues to ignore us and cater to the lowest common denominator: Casual gamers.
Pure and utter bull. First of all, the last time I checked, the kiddie licensed stuff was published by THQ, not Nintendo. You've read the news. Most 3rd parties weren't all that interested in Wii until it sold a few million units.

Second, Godfather is already out, Medal of Honor is out, SSX Blur is out, Heat Seeker is out in the UK, Mortal Kombat and Scarface are on their way, and both Manhunt 2 and Resident Evil: UC are over the horizon. From Nintendo itself, we have Fire Emblem, Battalion Wars, and Metroid Prime coming up. Not to mention that the console launched with Red Steel, Zelda, and Call of Duty 3.

I know, I know. Whiners somehow manage to find a reason while every single non-kiddie game on a Nintendo console "doesn't count." When they say "It doesn't have any games," they generally have a handful games in mind that Nintendo doesn't have, and not having those games means not having any games. This is what we're going to hear for a long time:
Jaded whiners said:
Why doesn't Nintendo make Halo for the Wii? I heard Nintendo doesn't even have Xbox Live. What kind of console doesn't have Xbox live? Do you realize how long it's been since Nintendo's made a Metal Gear game? The only games Nintendo makes anymore are THQ games! Nintendo sucks!

I give it a maybe. I expect Wii to either branch off into it's own niche or it's control scheme becomes its own niche as a cloned multi-platform controller. I don't expect the Wii to conquer the industry.

It's not Nintendo's fault that the 360 and even more, the PS3 are expensive in the eyes of the casual gamer. The price between a Wii and other two is not even close so people who have a certain threshold for casual gaming go with what fits their price range. When the 360 and PS3 hit this price range, they'll be bought up tons also. Right now the Wii, while innovative and all that, is really enjoy it's pricing advantage.

Thoughts?

The N64 and GCN both had issues with filling some genres, having a wide selection of quality diverse software, and keeping fresh software coming all year long. This is not debatable. Whether the Wii will be better is yet to be seen. The launch was not encouraging. Developers getting on board is -- but I think it needs to be tempered with the fact that many of these devs are the same ones who jumped off from the GCN. e.g. EA supporting the Wii doesn't say much in that EA was one of the bigger supporters last gen. I think it is worthwhile to note that the GCN sold nearly 4M units in its first couple months. It started strong and also finished with a respectible 9.5M units sold to users after its first year. The problem is the GCN didn't maintain its momentum and a lot of that had to do with software. They had the cheapest hardware, a competitive package, and a couple strong 1st party titles. But quality software was too infrequent and they didn't fill enough genres and aggressively took a path that alienated hardcore gamers with their constant dripping about how gamers don't want complex games, hard games, long games, how graphics are not important, how online gaming isn't viable, on and on. To be quite frank much of their message over the last 3 or 4 years is a direct assault on the hardcore community and to distance themselves from it--and it has worked wonderfully.

I think Nintendo's future problem with hardcore gamers is going to come down to a couple issues outside mending these fences of trust. One is software, the type/style/quality as well as quantity across many genres. The fact is non-Nintendo mascot titles don't tend to sell well on Nintendo platforms as of late. So if we start seeing the GCN trend of Ninny mascots on key 3rd party titles and those without such not selling well this will temper some of the 3rd party enthusiasm. Nintendo needs to show that 3rd parties can make money on a regular basis instead of the platform being a crap shoot. If all the Wii gets are nibbles of portware it is going to be the GCN all over: users will reject it, thus fewer such titles.

Their message on graphics, long games, difficult games, and such are also hurdles to hardcore gamers. When you, as the platform holder, bash certain game designs you create an image that impacts both potential customers and developers/publishers and what they deliver. If you have a darth of hardcore gamers wanting hard, long games then publishers won't make such and in-turn the platform won't attract such gamers.

And of course Nintendo hasn't done anything to detract from their kiddy image. I have long defended them in this regards -- I love how some of their titles can be just as gameplay centric as the blood and gore and sleeze garbage on other systems without succumbing to blatant teen factor -- but they still haven't done much to correct this image (i.e. indicating that they are bigger than ONLY kid games). And many of the more mature titles have done very poorly on their platform.

It really comes down to committment. Committment to more games, more quality games, and more games in different genres and styles. It is a chicken-egg problem and the only real solution is huge console sales that attract such software and for it to sell.

Those who have been around for a couple years know that it was the software that got me looking elsewhere. At the time I was expecting competitive/effecient hardware that mimmicked the GCN compared to the Xbox/PS2. But the software, and attitude toward proven/desired features, is a turnoff for a longtime gaming fan like myself (NES, SNES, N64, GCN) who typically buys only one console within the first 3 years of release. I honestly haven't seen enough movement in actual software product to believe at this point that the Wii is going to have *substantially* more quality titles across more genres. And I emphasize substantially because being better than the GCN doesn't say much because it was quite pathetic imo for hardcore gamer tastes.

Looking at what Nintendo has released over the last 2.5 years you would think they would have a killer lineup slated for 2007. Right now I am not seeing something that is comparable to what, e.g., MS has lined up for 2007. Hardcore gamers are going to be looking at that. But that is the beauty of the Wii--I don't think you buy it for hardcore gaming. You get it as a 2nd console as a different experience. It isn't trying to compete with a PS3 or Xbox 360 in that way, it is taking a different approach to grab those consumer dollars.

Looking at what Nintendo has released over the last 2.5 years you would think they would have a killer lineup slated for 2007. Right now I am not seeing something that is comparable to what, e.g., MS has lined up for 2007. Hardcore gamers are going to be looking at that. But that is the beauty of the Wii--I don't think you buy it for hardcore gaming. You get it as a 2nd console as a different experience. It isn't trying to compete with a PS3 or Xbox 360 in that way, it is taking a different approach to grab those consumer dollars.

Yeah your last paragraph sums up what I think is going on too. Wii is just not targetting that hardcore group at all. Too bad they aren't doing very well targetting their own "new" group either! I see basically a N64-like launch schedule. Few titles and even fewer games that look like they will really shine.

I'm also afraid that the machine might end up with a selection of the worst ports in history due to it receiving ports from vastly more powerful machines with much different input devices. The 360 and PS3 are so much more advanced that a Wii port can't hope to compare unless they dump some serious effort into reworking the code. Hell, look at that Far Cry port! Or CoD3! Hopefully things don't turn out like that in general!

After presenting my Wii to three different groups of people (gamers and non-gamers alike) this weekend and having ALL of them say "I need to get me one of these ASAP", I wouldn't say Nintendo did anything wrong :)

As for hard-core gamers being alienated, I kinda disagree. The Wii is the first breath of fresh air in years and thus welcome as such. I love it.

Personally I have the same fears as him.

Wii doesnt seem like the console I ll be getting for serious, hardcore gaming. And so far the majority of games are the ones anyone can play just for the thrills of motion sensor controlling.

Because I am everntually going to get all three consoles, I do occasionally some search in gaming sites to get an idea of the best each console has to offer.

But it's best games are mostly too casual, easy, or party style.

Myiamoto may have claimed in the past that the aim of "Revolution" was to take games back to their original fun and simplistic roots but what had he achieved? He did achieve simpler controls, easier to get into for anyone, but at the same time he sacrificed even farther skillful gaming of the old times. So yeah back in the old days anyone could get into these games and have fun but at the same time they had the element of skill for those who wanted to get more seriously into them.

Old games may have been a million times simpler to understand, but who said these games didnt need the kind of skill that demanded dedication for those who cared? Super Mario Bros was simple but hard(in a good way I mean), Metroid was simple, yet still hard, TMNT3 was simple but hard to finish in normal mode and normal number of continues etc. They all needed skill and demanded from the player to learn to use the limited controls perfectly if he wanted to achieve the desired result.

Thats why people in the arcades during the 80s and 90s were gathering behind some of the best players to marvel their skill.

But on Wii I dont see that skill and dedication. Just thrills and the kind of titles that remind me extremely of the countless flash games over the internet

Wii changed gaming totally and I feel that this controlling scheme and the fact that Nintendo is aiming for a mass market appeal, meaning targeting kids and grown ups who werent into gaming, as much as everyone else simultaneously, has sacrificed many previous enjoyable elements and skill.

Also even the games that were originally released on PS2 or XBOX dont feel that different on Wii. Actually there isnt all that much improvement. Sometimes these games even feel worse due to technical limitations.

There are some titles that are promising serious gaming (I am not talking about Fifa, Madden, NFS but for exclusive and unique titles), but how many are they? I feel that those will be too few for me to choose eventually.

I am giving Wii the benefit of the doubt, but so far I am not satisfied with what I saw :???:

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve been a Nintendo fan since childhood.

Whenever you read that you know what time it is.

Anyhow I disagree with him as his point dont hold any ground. Casual/non gameres are baaaad. Not really. Sure alot of crap will come out for them. But alot of crap comes out now too. Besides you clearly have 2 group. The non gamers and the more ''die hard'' gamers. Companies know that too so they wont just make non gamer gamers and leave the die hard gamer group as their is alot of money to make on the too. And non gamers probably wont by six different versions of wiisports/braintraining so I doubt you'll see devs putting out alot of games like that.

I agree on the release list, but as in the link Natome gave thats probably because devs underestimated the succes of the Wii and now are playing catch up.

Nintendo needs to show that 3rd parties can make money on a regular basis instead of the platform being a crap shoot.

DS did pretty much that. Besides I think Wii 3rd party games are already doing pretty well. Atleast as far as titles as godfather, ssx and dbz go, hear alot of people bought those games.

I think the article is nonsense. The 360 and PS3 already show that you can approach that particular market in a different way, which is through cheap and simple downloadable games. That doesn't have to go at the cost of the hardcore gamer at all. The market is expanding, and there will be more games, more kinds of games, and definitely both more hardcore and casual games than ever before.

Personally, I think the main strength for the Wii is its versatile controller, but its weakness is processing power. If I look at a game like Super Rub-a-Dub on the PS3, you have the combination of motion control, a nice physics based water simulation, and a very simple game paradigm, and it makes for a very compelling game. The Wii can do something similar, with a game like Mercury, but it will be much more limited than what a PS3 version of the same game could be.

By which I am meaning to say, that eventually it will be eaiser to make a simple and fun, yet 'new' game on the PS3.

However, for the coming two years, it may well be easier to sell such a game on the Wii platform. ;)

I think the Wii adds a valid paradigm to an ever-expanding market and will continue to do so. The key is "expand". Other categories will not suffer. And even on the Wii itself, there will be the occasional hardcore game, simply because there will be enough units on the market to allow one.

And I do agree with the concept of gaming being an important factor. There is a lot you can do to have better games.

There's always going to be a market for the more hardcore gamer, and devs and companies that are just as passionate to fill that market. Just like there will always be a market for Ferrari's even though Hyundai sell's more cars. Just like there will alway's be a market fr Gucci even though Walmart sell's more clothing.
The problem with gaming is not the Wii and it's push to bring in new gamers,the problem is that the console gaming market has been so one tracked and isolated that gamers and even professionals in the business have a hard time seeing gaming not in the bubble it currently exists in,but within the context of the wordl at larg . Wii may be changing that and like in any market that grows healthier with new consumers,whether it be cars or books this will ultimately be good for the gaming industry.
More people= more money, ,more money=the ability to hire better more diverse talent,better talent raises the bar for the entire industry and continues to bring in even more and new consumers. And so on and so on.

I don't worry much about this. So far with the Wii, I always hear comments from non-gamers: "I gotta get me one of these", followed by these non-gamers NOT getting one of these Wii's. My 71 year old stepfather played the Wii at his son's house on the weekend and loved it, but he's still not buying one.

Does everyone here honestly think that last generation's traditional gamers (about 125 million people) are going to pass on GT, GTAIV, Halo 3, FFXIII, etc... so they can play Wii tennis? I don't think so. Price is a huge factor so far with next-gen gaming and it won't be long before MS and Sony come knockin' with big price drops.

The tales of the death of MS and Sony have been greatly exagerated so far.

He did achieve simpler controls, easier to get into for anyone, but at the same time he sacrificed even farther skillful gaming of the old times.
That's strange, because I could've sworn that everyone was complaining about how hard SSX Blur was, and its fans saying that it simply had a very steep learning curve.

In a recent interview, Reggie mentioned that 2/3 of Wii's software sales are coming from 3rd-party titles, which apparently is much better than it was on Gamecube. Considering the sparsity of quality 3rd-party offerings on Wii, that's pretty significant. Nintendo absolutely had to break out of their "Everything except Nintendo games is crap" typical fanbase, and they appear to be doing that.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Editorial-Nintendo-Wii-Harbinger-For-The-Death-Of-Gaming-3703.html

As a Nintendo fan I must say I disagree with his statements, but I have to admit that given the N64 and Cube, there is some merit to his fears.

Given stories such as this, however, I'm thinking that going forward his fears will be unfounded and that there won't be the software droughts that plagued the last two Nintendo consoles.

Thoughts?

There is truth to the editorial. I have both a Wii and an Xbox 360. Most of my gaming time is done with the 360. However where the Wii excels is when I have a group of friends over and play some Wii sports. The Wii works great with drinking games also :).

These articles are just funny sony and MS fan boys bitter over the Wiis success. There is plenty of room in the market for both the Wii and HD-consoles. The Wii is in a similar situation the DS was in at launch. Most of the 3rd party games are being made by B and C level teams. Now that the Wii is a monster success you will start to see more A level teams on the Wii. Once that happens you will see better sales of 3rd party games on the Wii. When good games come out that take advantage of the Wiimote they will sell. Just like the PS3 when 3rd parties start to make better games instead of sloppy 360 ports sales will get better.

Every console has had some sort of software lull in its first year. The only exception would be the dreamcast in NA but that was a year after the eastern launch.

The only negative about the Wii right now is nintendo can't produce enough. I have yet to see a Wii on a store shelf since launch.

If I was at Nintendo, I'd surely push for some AAA kick-arse sports titles. The controller is just screaming for those.

Thanks Natoma.

The article seemed like a bored rant to me, a half-assed attempt to spin negative on the Wii while everyone else is slurping it up. That's all IMO.

I agree with Joshua's points regarding Nintendo not being able to keep momentum, but I believe that they powered themselves down from the trap of the previous cycle. Nintendo fizzed out with their last offering because the consoles were too similar - in power and 3rd party titles. The differentiating factors were first parties and Nintendo didn't create enough to bring in more new, diverse fans, who could bring in new and diverse 3rd parties (the same problem for N64, along with media limitations). The Wii however is cheap to dev for and by default forces 3rd parties to make exclusive games. I am still of the opinion that the Wii will be a complementary console and be used as the wise sage, lion2, said, "for drinking games". It will be interesting if MFST and SNY just say, screw it, and make a similar wand peripheral;)

I don't worry much about this. So far with the Wii, I always hear comments from non-gamers: "I gotta get me one of these", followed by these non-gamers NOT getting one of these Wii's. My 71 year old stepfather played the Wii at his son's house on the weekend and loved it, but he's still not buying one.

Does everyone here honestly think that last generation's traditional gamers (about 125 million people) are going to pass on GT, GTAIV, Halo 3, FFXIII, etc... so they can play Wii tennis? I don't think so. Price is a huge factor so far with next-gen gaming and it won't be long before MS and Sony come knockin' with big price drops.

The tales of the death of MS and Sony have been greatly exagerated so far.

I don't think right now anyone has any fears for the 360 as the software is selling very well. I think outside the stupid elite anouncement MS is in a great position for this fall. They just need that 100 dollar price drop to get the 360 to a price that casual gamers will start to take notice along with a monster line up. The Ps3 on the other hand is a long long ways from reaching casual gamers. Sony has pretty much discontinued the 499 model. Sony has to get the price of the PS3 cut in half and maybe a bit more to get the casuals.

Back