EA Q3 2008 Financials (Platform Sales & SKUs)

I wonder if we had datas for Europe and the N64 and supernes.

My feeling is that Europe is really slow to adapt a new brand.

The genesis didn't do as well in Europe as in Europe where everybody was waitingfor the supernes.
To a lesser extend it also happened with the N64 I feel that the N64 sold pretty well before most consumers shift to the ps1.
The PS3 looks more like the supernes, as I fail to see MS gaining momemtum here without having manage to secure important games, with theirs reliability problem not fixed.

Ms need a F1 game and a good one for example.

The more I think about it the more I think that there is nothing Ms can do against Sony here in Europe.
The only think that could help MS is to obliterate (and really obliterate) the ps3 in US while overall sale in JApan are still important and hope on editor to lose faith in sony platform!
Ie make the ps3 looks as a N64 not as the supernes.
In order to buy Ms product I feel like european have to have the feeling they are buying a leading product, Ms as to win third party exclusive that Sony would miss.
To do so MS has to built an impressive user base in US and quick

A lot of if, I know and I'm almost sure it's impossible, or MS would better sell+10 millions 360 this year in US.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because they are sitting in front of a TV and they like it a lot ;) Didn't you already write kb/m is cumbersome for a living room? Someone prefers console games to PC games, it's no different I guess.

It's different, because it's about social interaction which requires communication.

patsu said:
Are you asking why Home will appeal to non-gamers ?

It's been suggested that home will be some phenomenon to draw in people like a killer title would, but it does not seem all that accessible to me. Those who want a networking service are most likely already using a superior one in terms of usability and user base.

Home is starting too late to be a success before PS4 imo, it's just something Sony has to do if they want to compete for the virtual product and download dollars.

It's about the gaming experience. It always has been. It always will be.
And PSP sells solely on the strength of its games, and no-one uses its multifunctionality. Likewise PS3's only appeal is in it's game line-up, as testified to by its attach ratio. Furthermore every company in the console business appreciates this which is why they don't waste their time adding adding weather channels and media download services and video-chat features and silly little polling services and movie playback.

Also, as it's all about the gaming experience, why did you start a thread asking how MS could do better in Europe? You've answered that yourself - it's all about the games. All MS have to do is release quality games for their system and that's that, job done. With more games rated 85% average than both other systems together, 34 for XB360 versus 14 for PS3 and 7 for Wii, XB360 offers by far the best gaming experience going and therefore sells the best of all systems in all regions...

OR...it's all about the value proposition in providing functions and services within your product that successfully target your market's discretionary income and are marketed effectively both to educate the masses on the value of your product and instil consumer confidence in the brand enough that they choose to purchase your product even in the face of competing offerings from other products.

It's been suggested that home will be some phenomenon to draw in people like a killer title would, but it does not seem all that accessible to me. Those who want a networking service are most likely already using a superior one in terms of usability and user base.

Yeah... not in its current form. And yes, for social networking, PC is still the best platform. But I don't think that's what Sony wants to do with Home. Services like MySpace and FaceBook come and go. Likely only one (the earliest and biggest one) will win. It would be foolish to be a mere me-too.

I believe there are a few interesting and potentially rewarding strategies to justify Sony's involvement. Home is likely a start to turn Sony's vast CE distribution network into a long term customer acquisition platform (for content and for devices). Even assuming that Home is not a run-away success like Wii, it should be able to attract/convince more people to buy Sony products 24/7 (especially casuals) using the cummulative draw and network effect.

Home is starting to late to be a success before PS4 imo, it's just something Sony has to do if they want to compete for the virtual product and download dollars.

It can be valuable as PS3 falls further in price. PS4 may be too expensive. The value/effect should be bi-directional too (Music Store sells iPod, iPod sells Music Store)

And PSP sells solely on the strength of its games, and no-one uses its multifunctionality. Likewise PS3's only appeal is in it's game line-up, as testified to by its attach ratio. Furthermore every company in the console business appreciates this which is why they don't waste their time adding adding weather channels and media download services and video-chat features and silly little polling services and movie playback.

Also, as it's all about the gaming experience, why did you start a thread asking how MS could do better in Europe? You've answered that yourself - it's all about the games. All MS have to do is release quality games for their system and that's that, job done. With more games rated 85% average than both other systems together, 34 for XB360 versus 14 for PS3 and 7 for Wii, XB360 offers by far the best gaming experience going and therefore sells the best of all systems in all regions...

OR...it's all about the value proposition in providing functions and services within your product that successfully target your market's discretionary income and are marketed effectively both to educate the masses on the value of your product and instil consumer confidence in the brand enough that they choose to purchase your product even in the face of competing offerings from other products.

Of course there are other value propositions, but the games are what matter most.

PS3 sells in Europe because of its brand name. I've already mentioned it several times: two of my collegues have bought one in the recent 2 months. They've both got COD4, but only one of them has bought just one exclusive game (Ratchet) and the other guy has a 360 too, yet still buys multiplatform titles for the PS3 which is usually more expensive here, and usually its the inferior version (for example Splinter Cell Doube Agent).

The reason they chose the more expensive console with the lower quality games library is just that it has the name 'Playstation' on top of it. They're both PS2 owners, they're loyal and can afford it and don't like the Xbox at all, regardless of anything Microsoft could do. Oh and one of them bought a Sony TV, a Sony home theater and wouldn't even consider anything else, and he doesn't know anything about the features or sound/image quality of these devices, hasn't done any research at all. It's enough for him that they're made by Sony.

Don't have a clue about what?

I'll try to clarify: you're bringing up totally general arguments to support Home, because you don't know any hard facts, signs or research about customer interest either. So your conclusion that it still matters isn't much more than an opinion, and it's certainly not stronger than mine - you just see the same thing differently.

I'll try to clarify: you're bringing up totally general arguments to support Home, because you don't know any hard facts, signs or research about customer interest either. So your conclusion that it still matters isn't much more than an opinion, and it's certainly not stronger than mine - you just see the same thing differently.
Oh, sure, I agree - I wasn't stating it as a fact but a different take on its relevance. Though specifically I wasn't saying Home was important to making big gains as much as the smaller 'bonuses' add up. Home itself may not shift much (personally I don't see the scope as comparable with MySpace, Facebook, etc., kinda like releasing an MP3 player and comparing it to iPod in terms of how much it'll appeal) or add a great deal on its own, but in conjunction with other system features I think it adds some weight that'll shift some boxes and shouldn't be discounted entirely.

It's these cumulative differences along with some key titles that should be setting PS3 up for greater sales, and why EA are predicting what they are. XB360 remains a great games system, but the games alone aren't enough to sell it. Even if the problem is just one of re-educating buyers into accepting a non-Sony system (and TBH, they've happily bought Nintendo after Sony's dominance, and prior to that bought Sony after Nintendo's dominance, so I don't see loyalty being impenetrable), investment in games isn't what MS needs as much as investing in whatever they're lacking.

And I think they won't be enough to justify EA's bet. The US is a lost cause for the PS3.

Hm ? Did EA bet on PS3 just because of Home ? As a large company, they will run their own numbers and P&L to allocate their resources. There should be more reasons behind their decisions, whatever they are.

As for US being a lost cause, I think we will see more battles between the 2 giants. They both have ample time to prepare for 2008 this time.

PS3 sells in Europe because of its brand name. I've already mentioned it several times: two of my collegues have bought one in the recent 2 months. They've both got COD4, but only one of them has bought just one exclusive game (Ratchet) and the other guy has a 360 too, yet still buys multiplatform titles for the PS3 which is usually more expensive here, and usually its the inferior version (for example Splinter Cell Doube Agent).

The reason they chose the more expensive console with the lower quality games library is just that it has the name 'Playstation' on top of it. They're both PS2 owners, they're loyal and can afford it and don't like the Xbox at all, regardless of anything Microsoft could do. Oh and one of them bought a Sony TV, a Sony home theater and wouldn't even consider anything else, and he doesn't know anything about the features or sound/image quality of these devices, hasn't done any research at all. It's enough for him that they're made by Sony.

Icompletely agree that why I said that the only thing MS can do for Europe is to lower the playstation brand value which ca't be made in Europe (so Ms HAS TO FIGHT IN US to gainmomeemtum in Europe as strangee as ti sounds).

I also have one of my friend who bought the ps3 with COD4 and ASSASSIN CREED, I tried to convince him to buy uncharted instead... I ran out of luck... apparently...

That's interesting. Xbox as a brand certainly seems a separate entity to MS. At least in my limited experience. I don't think I've ever heard "the MS Xbox..." and I'm not sure that's something MS have necessarily pursued.

I'm not sure if that demarcation exists for "Playstation" and "Sony". I can't speak for any other regions or people but Sony as a brand does carry a lot of sway. My cousin has just bought a PS3 because he had a PS2 and my GF wanted a Sony TV simply because it was a Sony.

...yet still buys multiplatform titles for the PS3 which is usually more expensive here...

The only thing that I can think sways him is free PSN. Of course this depends on how much more expensive the PS3 versions are and whether they're really online games.

I think it's more to do with how the PS3 makes less noise, has a nicer system menu, and maybe even how it looks a bit better in the living room...

I think it's more to do with how the PS3 makes less noise, has a nicer system menu, and maybe even how it looks a bit better in the living room...

:LOL:

It's remarkable (or is it?) how many aspects there are at play for tech purchases. I do think Sony has a certain Apple flair to their designs. From TVs to Walkmans they do have a desirability (excluding Sony Ericsson mobiles IMO).

Back