EA on Next-Gen: graphics will look well "beyond Doom 3&

pc999 said:
hydrodynamics, surfaces, mass, high-resolution organics

What he means whith that?

Simply put, that means either

1) He does not know shit about hydrodynamics
2) He has a serious defintion problem of hydrodynamics

In either case, he is a complete idiot.

Even RANS Simulation of hydrodynamics is out of qustion for being real time. Not on serious hardware now and surely not on "next generation" consoles.

regards, alex

suicuique said:
pc999 said:
hydrodynamics, surfaces, mass, high-resolution organics

What he means whith that?

Even RANS Simulation of hydrodynamics is out of qustion for being real time. Not on serious hardware now and surely not on "next generation" consoles.

regards, alex

Well i'm sure very simplified simulations are always possible.... And there are always "tricks" someone can use...

london-boy said:
suicuique said:

regards, alex

Well i'm sure very simplified simulations are always possible.... And there are always "tricks" someone can use...

In hydrodynamics even a steady flow of a liquid through a simple rectangle shaped pipe (say 1m x 1m x 10m) shows effects which are very difficult to compute. If I am not mistaken, such flow was computed at stanford a few years back. It took only some months.

The so called "tricks" are already used, as you would not be able to compute real problems in DNS ("Direct Numerical Simulation"). The mentioned RANS Simulations (Raynolds Averaged Navier Stokes) do that, as do the LES (Large Eddy Simulations).

Sure, you could implement effects to model *some* behavior of liquids. But barring almost all turbulence.
I would not call *that* hydrodynamics by any means.

Take this comment of the EA speec as pure and ignorant hype.

regards, alex

Edited to correct quoting.

Back