EA on Next-Gen: graphics will look well "beyond Doom 3&

DICE 2004: EA on Next-Gen
Company president Bing Gordon speaks on designing games for the next round of platforms.

March 04, 2004 - Early Friday morning at the annual DICE summit in Las Vegas, Electronic Arts COO and founder Bing Gordon held a conference on "designing games for next-generation machines." The straightforward and to-the-point executive, dressed in casual attire and sporting long hair, spoke confidently about the next round of gaming, unafraid to level criticism at competitors and even allies.

Gordon touched on subjects including new technology, which he believes will continue to grow more and more advanced, enabling developers to create software that isn't possible today. He spoke on strategies -- what has worked and what hasn't. And he talked about the transitional period from current consoles to those in the next-generation.
Oppositely, he noted that while technology is a major factor in new software, it's still overshadowed by content. "Being from Silicon Valley, I like to think that technology drives everything, but upon reflection I think the actual driver for new gamers is when we bring a new hobby to videogames." Gordon cited a number of successful EA properties as prime examples.

He joked -- or perhaps he didn't -- that EA had paid "$50 million-plus" to John Madden to secure the announcer's endorsement for its top-selling Madden NFL Football franchise over the last two decades.

Gordon detailed the process of delivering a new hardware to the market. "Hardware companies come to us for about a two-year period acting as if they like us," he said, referring to the transitional period where first-party hardware makers Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo try to coax big publishers into developing software for their respective systems. He jadedly added that, after the "honeymoon" phase was over first-parties generally went back to making life "miserable" for third-party contributors.

"Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo are sitting around right now and spending multiple billions of dollars to bring a new platform to the market. And they hate that," he noted. He insinuated that this was a factor in Sony's decision to delay the arrival of its PlayStation 3 console.

Gordon referred to upcoming gamers as the "IM Generation." He called them the "Run Lola Run" audience, multi-tasking actions such as Internet browsing, music listening, IM chatting and watching television. He joked that if parents try to take even one of these options away from them their grades go down. He also indicated that it's these types of gamers that companies will endeavor to please in the next round of gaming.

He listed several taglines for what he referred to as "piggyback hardware marketing." The first was to follow the money. Second, prove the hardware position. Third, support positions. Next, avoid the losers. He used Sega's Dreamcast as an example.

He listed some of the slogans and philosophies of hardware makers. Most notable, he pointed out Nintendo's decision to emphasize a cheaper price over "important features" with its GameCube console. "It may be rethinking that [philosophy] after GameCube," he said. He also noted that Nintendo failed to have major first-party titles available at the launch of the system and added: "I'm sure it's rethinking that after GameCube."

Gordon talked about "why the PC game market sucks." He said PC transitions are boring and that the PCs has lost the leadership perception -- that consoles are seen by most as the 3D leaders.

The EA executive closed the presentation by talking about nine next-generation features that will really separate the next round of consoles. He listed everything from 100 times the physics, the ability to model Pixar quality characters, hydrodynamics, surfaces, mass, high-resolution organics, and more. He indicated that characters in next-gen games will have realistic eyes, hair, skin, and muscles -- that graphics will look well "beyond Doom 3."

He also said that next-generation titles would have "living worlds," which he called "Grand Theft Auto on steroids." He suggested that NPC characters would also be far more advanced, taking inspiration from The Sims. More awareness, memory, complex motives, learning, individualized agents with goals and more.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/496/496703p1.html

glad you they think that next gen console hardware will be able to display a game well be on doom3 which can run on a geforce 1 card :rolleyes:

He should cut his hair, it must be affecting the cooling of his brain.

'Pixar quality characters' :rolleyes: weren't we supposed to have them already with PS2... and with emotions too!

It must have been this same mr. Bing who started that 'Toy Story quality graphics' hype for PS2 :)

Wait, he is saying that the graphics in the far-off future will look better then graphics in the near future? Holy mother, I am shocked off my feet.

which can run on a geforce 1 card

Run is probably a gross Overstatement.
But watching D3 carefully on GF1 (a long time enought) ,you'll see that it actually moves ,in the sense of :the last picture you could see differs from the next .

:?

Saem said:
Run is probably a gross Overstatement.

No, it's not. GF1 is the minimum requirement, it'll run on one -- Carmack has stated this.

HE had mixed up minimun requirement between launching one of it's rockets and playing doom3.
Believe me , a geforce1 is the minimum not get an error message when you clic on the executable. Pass that you won't get any experience.

Oh great. Heres my prediction:

In a few years time, after the next-gen consoles launch, we'll be sitting here fielding arguments from certain members about why the "pixar quality graphics" and "characters with real muscles" that we were "promised" never arrived...

Next-gen graphics are going to be a lot like this-gen graphics, but "a bit better". Call me a cynic, but we will not be seeing stuff that exceeds the goals of on-going unsolved PhD research projects.

Saem said:
No, it's not. GF1 is the minimum requirement, it'll run on one -- Carmack has stated this.
Didn't we recently see some videos of a GF3 trying to play one of the Doom 3 forms (I guess one of the leaked versions) and it being utterly rancid? Granted it's not a final build for the game, but it certainly didn't paint a rosy picture.

Offhand, despite statements from John and Gabe, I don't think D3 or HL2 will be remotely "playable" on the low-end hardware they said they'd scale to, unless by that you mean 640x480 with every effect turned off, and FPS in your teens. Heh...

rabidrabbit:
It must have been this same mr. Bing who started that 'Toy Story quality graphics' hype for PS2
That reference did actually come from a Sony press release, claiming the PS2 would render game characters comparable to Toy Story. I had all of that press material from the DC and PS2 announcements piled up somewhere.

And no - Jak II cut-scenes and animation (or its supersampled high-res promo shots) aren't in any different boat than the rest of the games this generation as far as being even reasonably close to that yet. That early Xbox game, Shrek, made some nice advancements, though.

Lazy8s said:
rabidrabbit:
It must have been this same mr. Bing who started that 'Toy Story quality graphics' hype for PS2
That reference did actually come from a Sony press release, claiming the PS2 would render game characters comparable to Toy Story. I had all of that press material from the DC and PS2 announcements piled up somewhere.

And no - Jak II cut-scenes and animation (or its supersampled high-res promo shots) aren't in any different boat than the rest of the games this generation as far as being even reasonably close to that yet. That early Xbox game, Shrek, made some nice advancements, though.
Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into that same old :rolleyes:

Don't worry; it's not a debate. There's nothing there left to be clarified, and I was simply addressing your conjecture (and no one here has given relevancy to comparisons against other companies and their PR.)

Lazy8s said:
That reference did actually come from a Sony press release, claiming the PS2 would render game characters comparable to Toy Story.
Offhand, the only reference I remember specifically talking about real-time gaming was referring to animation (moment) quality, not model complexity or effect rendering. (Hard to find crap like this now, too.) Even that seems to not be the case sadly... :p Not that I think the systems incapable--just I don't see developers putting in the time and attention.

But Toy Story MUST have been given decent-enough exposure... after all, didn't Bill Gates say that the Xbox graphics were like an "interactive Toy Story 2" at 2001's E3? Gotta one-up the competition! :p

Toy Story comparisons seem to have been bandied about a lot just previous to this gen (I don't think Nintendo took part, but I certainly wouldn't lay down money on that. ;) ) It died out quick, though... Presumably from collective embarrassment.

PC-Engine said:
Maybe we'll see those types of effects in realtime cutscense? :p
Well then I guess my DVD player can produce "Toy Story"-like quality, flawlessly, all the time! All I have to do is find the DVD... :p

And hey, it's "interactive" too... Got menus and everything! :LOL:

Well then I guess my DVD player can produce "Toy Story"-like quality, flawlessly, all the time! All I have to do is find the DVD...

You mean your DVD player actually renders DVD movies in realtime?! :oops: :LOL:

The Dreamcast may have been a loser but it still had better games on it than EA ever put out.

Anywho. This pre-hype for the next generation is just a bunch of PR talk and safe assumptions.

I just find it funny how they are comparing a game that can run on a 1999(or was it 98 ) video card as being some big deal .

Now if they said it be leaps and bounds over something that needed the 9700pro as the lowest video card it would run on then i'd be impressed .

doom 3 needs a 9700 class card for decent performance;

doom3 beta (alpha?) 2 runs normal with (say 30fps) when in a corridor with no animals or monsters but chugs to unplayable level when 2 or more monsters come around.
this on a amd 1900xp with a overclocked 9600XT ATI.

yes, you can run doom3 on a geforce 3 with a lot of options turned of but the end result is not quite what it should be!

Back