EA Access, Xbox One - $5/mo, $30/yr

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by Scott_Arm, Jul 29, 2014.

1. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea-announces-5-month-xbox-one-subscription-program/1100-6421373/

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/gamestop-shares-tumble-after-ea-access-announcemen/1100-6421382/

Interesting. Wonder if this means no EA games will show up in the the Games with Gold program. So far there hasn't been one show up. Too bad since I don't see myself paying for this service anyway.

Tommy McClain

2. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

It won't just be a list of sports titles for the vault and I never suggested such a thing.
    I wrote it "should be the most interesting choice" for fans of sports games because it's less important to keep those games when their rosters are outdated. Consequently, the resale value of FIFA 13 becomes much lower as soon as FIFA 14 comes out.
    Again, it depends on how late the McSports games are released for subscribers.

I wouldn't count on those 10% to be certain for all products. EA made sure they'd get an asterisk in the end of that paragraph (which says nothing in the bottom of the page and points to a link that is also vague on that subject).
    It could be 10% discount on select products, just like what we have in PS+ (and I assume Xbox Gold too?).

3. expletive

Veteran

I wonder if it will give the N-1 versions of their sports games longer 'legs' since people with this subscription may be less likely to drop $54 on the newest version unless its a significant update. (Maybe this is the beginning of the end of the annual $60 sports titles completely, with them going to a sub model for roster and engine updates.)

4. RancidLunchmeat

Veteran

Well, there's a couple of different things at play here, correct?

Because it seems like all those unintelligent troglodtyes that keep EA in business by repeatedly buying McSports games are actually going to be getting Madden 2015 early and at a 10% discount, provided they pay their $30 for the yearly membership, and actually purchase the game digitally.

Unless EA is actually making Madden 15 available for free and prior to its actual release for anybody who bought the $30 membership, in which case that's an even better deal for the knuckle-dragging degenerates that buy these games.

5. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

Mmmm, just been given an access code to a preview of this by virtue of being in the XBOX Preview program.

6. Graham

Graham Hello :-)
    Moderator Veteran Subscriber

A nice step towards a future of genre and publisher library+discount subscriptions.
    It only makes sense really. Encouraging buying digital, paid demos, predictable income and perceived value... :mrgreen:
    You can be sure the average person with the $30 sub will be spending more on EA products than a person without. They wouldn't do it otherwise, not that I mind so much. It makes sense.

Humble Subscription, Ubi+, for example, can't be too far off.

7. rokkerkory

Regular Newcomer

This could be a game changer in terms of new business models. I expect other big publishers to follow suit and test this out. If this is exclusive to X1, it could be a big thing too but suspect they are just testing the waters with X1.

If titles are great and rotate enough then worth it for $2.50 a month.

8. Rangers

Legend

Yeah, seems like a test. Could end up being the future, or not.

9. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

EA has said that once a game is in the Vault there are no plans to remove it.

Tommy McClain

10. Scott_Arm

Legend

Proud to be a knuckle-dragging degenerate. NHL and FIFA are the best multiplayer games you can buy. They're the absolute best team games, period. If I had the time to play both, it would make this subscription an easy sell, because I'd likely end up getting another EA game over the following year.

11. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Philosopher & Poet
    Veteran

It's a weird model. As Patrick Klepek pointed out in his story on Giant Bomb it appears the service is designed to convince people to actually buy new games when they start hitting, but if you find you end up buying the games you want why do you need the subscription anymore? So a coupon book analogy seems to be more accurate, especially with the monthly option. Games come out so tightly packed in the fall you could sign up for a single month, save almost $20 buying 4 games and then immediately cancel. Last year's sports titles are of little to no value. Early access to demo versions of new games is of little to no value. I don't know that EA alone has enough of a library to ever make long term subscription access to just their games desirable.

12. -tkf-

Legend

It´s $30 a year to pickup the titles you didn't buy at launch but waited to drop in price or buy used, now EA takes over that service. Like a graveyard for games that has had their round of price drops and special offers.

Does the vault grow in a PS+ fashion, that you have to be paying for the games added to be in your vault, or can we wait a year and then signup and play a bunch of games..

13. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Of course, it's US only too, so quite the baby step.

14. mosen

Regular

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...sent-good-value-to-the-playstation-gamer.aspx

15. fehu

Veteran Regular

16. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

Sony shouldn't be making those calls in a free market economy. It should be down to the consumer whether the deal represents value or not.

17. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

It's been given a UK price, so not US only.

18. Cjail

Cjail Fool
    Veteran

Will the games/service be linked to the XBL account or to an EA account?

19. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Completely agree. I wonder how EA's system will integrate into the Xbox One. Will Microsoft bake it into their store so it's completely seamless or will it be a separate app.

20. Scott_Arm

Legend

Here are the launch countries