DX8-compatible 3D screen saver with LOW CPU load?

Guden Oden

Legend
Does anyone know if there is such a beastie, ie something that doesn't save the screen by ramping the CPU to 100%? Oh, and it has to work on a geforce 3 too. And, preferably not look like bird cack either. ;)

ummmm, you want to sit in front of your monitor watching something pretty , not worrying about power consumption?

What about buying a painting and putting it on your monitor when pausing ? :LOL:

Does anyone know if there is such a beastie, ie something that doesn't save the screen by ramping the CPU to 100%? Oh, and it has to work on a geforce 3 too. And, preferably not look like bird cack either. ;)

Ahh, I guess that rules out Bird Cack Pro Screensaver then.

How about the ATi DX8 (8500) screensavers? I doubt they will grab 100% CPU time on a modern CPU. Edit - how could I have forgotten about DX8.1 after all the pain it caused?! Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about the ATi DX8 (8500) screensavers? I doubt they will grab 100% CPU time on a modern CPU. Edit - how could I have forgotten about DX8.1 after all the pain it caused?! Sorry.
ehmmm, Caves "eat only " 30+% of P4-930.... Ocean and gargoyle eat ~50% (ie 1 cpu at max...)

ummmm, you want to sit in front of your monitor watching something pretty , not worrying about power consumption?
It's for my old backup PC, it's currently working as a filesharing box, and I just don't want the windows desktop permanently etched into my expensive LCD TV like I have with my LCD monitor, should I forget I left the TV switched over to the PC input for a while...

What about buying a painting and putting it on your monitor when pausing ? :LOL:
Well, I don't want a painting as an afterimage either! :LOL: I guess I could dump a bunch of pics onto the harddrive and then use the XP slideshow screensaver, but 3D graphics is much cooler.

It's for my old backup PC, it's currently working as a filesharing box, and I just don't want the windows desktop permanently etched into my expensive LCD TV like I have with my LCD monitor, should I forget I left the TV switched over to the PC input for a while...
you can "blank" the screen then :p

really i don't get the idea of "cool screensaver"
What for? Who will sit in front watching the coolness? unless used as test if you must call for health-officers :D

really i don't get the idea of "cool screensaver"
What for? Who will sit in front watching the coolness?
Hah, you're right, it is pretty damn useless really. It's just that I hate the idea of a nice GPU sitting there all idle and twiddling its thumbs... :p

Best screensaver ever is the simplest: Blank

I did experiment a while with ATI Bacteria & Gargoyle on the new PC but really, if I'm away from the PC letting it sit idle, its surely best to let the thing sit as idle as possible & keep the power bill down instead of ramping my GPU up to full speed whacking out polys.

edit: Er oops, I guess this is a resurrection, don't seem to have noticed the thread before for some reason...

These 3D fishies are neat. Damn if I'll pay twenty bucks for them though. Here's a site i just found: http://www.3d-screensaver-jam.com/

gascreenshotkx2.jpg

gascreenshot2on2.jpg

These 3D fishies are neat.
Nah, that's not a screen SAVER. That's a good example of a screen KILLER with all that static graphics... Besides, fish are lame. Gimme sweaty muscular men with big guns running around, shooting stuff up! :D

(No, I'm not serious, hahaha.)

Damn if I'll pay twenty bucks for them though.
Damn straight! I'd never willingly pay for a screensaver ever, even if it could whistle the marsellaise and do cartwheels around the house at the same time.

I've opted for the good ol pipes thing that MS includes as standard... It's OpenGL, and it looks pretty nifty too.

PSST:

You don't need a screensaver.

It's fine. The only thing you're wearing out on that LCD is the backlight.

IMO the "screen burn in" problem is an old fear.

My CRTs are even fine after 7 hours of the windows desktop (left em on when I left for work in a hurry, didn't have pwr mgmt on, so they stayed on)

this thread gives me an idea : Doom as a screensaver, that'd be cool :)

If that hasn't already been done I'll eat my hat. It would be INCREDIBLY easy to do! Just record some demos and have them play through the game, or, better yet, code up an AI to play the game instead!

That actually sounds like a fun project!

Burn-in isn't an old fear. It's a reality. Any CRT can get it, but it's nowhere near as bad as it once was. Case in point, I have a monitor with some very severe burn-in and it's only a few years old (it's a 21 Inch ViewSonic G810). The monitor is second hand (I paid nothing for it) and was used in a Process Control Room in my dads factory. It was on 24/7 for a few years displaying the same screen. In general use you can't notice it, but if it's displaying a pure white over the entire screen, you can see interface elements from what it used to show. In particular in the top left of the screen there is a very recognizable question mark button. Of course this monitor was used in 'extreme conditions'. Unless you are leaving your system on 24/7 for a very long time then you are very unlikely to experience burn-in.

if your interested (numbers in red = tnt1 + p2 -233 vs 6800gt + p4 3ghz)

in 1 test tnt scored 41fps
6800gt scored 4873 fps

Burn-in isn't an old fear. It's a reality. Any CRT can get it, but it's nowhere near as bad as it once was. Case in point, I have a monitor with some very severe burn-in and it's only a few years old (it's a 21 Inch ViewSonic G810). The monitor is second hand (I paid nothing for it) and was used in a Process Control Room in my dads factory. It was on 24/7 for a few years displaying the same screen. In general use you can't notice it, but if it's displaying a pure white over the entire screen, you can see interface elements from what it used to show. In particular in the top left of the screen there is a very recognizable question mark button. Of course this monitor was used in 'extreme conditions'. Unless you are leaving your system on 24/7 for a very long time then you are very unlikely to experience burn-in.

Of COURSE it still exists as a reality; what happens is that you wear out your phosphors unevenly! However, as you said, that's an extreme example. Yours could be "fixed" by inverting what was displayed for that long time, and displaying that particular image for quite a long time also, so that the phosphors are more evenly dimmer.

My point is simply that nobody (*at home*) needs a screen saver; they are better off having power management turn off the screen for longevity (and economical) purposes. Many people still have the idea in their heads from the early 90s that they NEED a screen saver.

:)

Back