DUST514

I'm in on principle, but am a little skeptical at the FPS gameplay. Have they made one before ?

Visually, I remember the game is supposed to use Geomerics ? Hoping they focus on the gameplay.

I'm in on principle, but am a little skeptical at the FPS gameplay. Have they made one before ?

Visually, I remember the game is supposed to use Geomerics ? Hoping they focus on the gameplay.

CCP has never made an FPS before.

So that coupled with this whole crazy idea of merging console'ers and PC'ers across what is fundamentally 2 different games......

Well, there's every right to be skeptical.

But Gamers are always talking about how they want new experiences....well, no excuses.....this is it.

On the strength of that, I think pretty much everyone owes it to themselves and to gaming to at least try it. *shrug*

:LOL: You don't have to worry about me !

I bought interesting/unique games despite known em... imperfections. Will continue to do so.

[size=-2]Catherine, here I come...[/size]

Dum dum dum dum !

New DUST514 Interview:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/10/10/dust-514-interview-changing-console-shooters-forever/

We haven’t heard a great deal about DUST 514 since it was shown at E3 2011, other than that it’s a first-person shooter connected to the vast sci-fi universe of PC MMO EVE Online, and that it’s coming exclusively to PlayStation 3. When developers CCP made the trip from Iceland to London to outline their vision for this new addition to their immensely popular EVE universe, I came out of the meeting amazed at the scale of the project.

After the meeting, I interrogated Brandon Laurino, Executive Producer at CCP, to find out exactly why PlayStation 3 owners should be getting excited.

(I believe that's a new trailer in the link)

Keeping an eye on this and Starhawk next year !

CCP Cuts Staff By 20%, Refocuses On EVE Universe
http://gamasutra.com/view/news/37975/CCP_Cuts_Staff_By_20_Refocuses_On_EVE_Universe.php

EVE Online maker CCP has announced it will be reducing its staff of over 600 by roughly 20 percent as part of a "realignment" away from long-in-development MMO World of Darkness.

The company will instead put increased focus on continued expansion for the highly popular EVE Online and its upcoming massively-multiplayer FPS spin-off Dust 514 on the PS3.

CCP's announcement comes after the company faced sharp player criticism over the summer for the introduction of microtransaction-based vanity items and other features in EVE Online that seemed secondary to the game's traditional space-faring gameplay.

CCP has since apologized for what it calls "our own mistakes and poor communications with our players," which it says have led subscription levels to decline from record highs in the past two months.

Scaling the Universe of DUST 514:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/10/28/scaling-the-universe-of-dust-514/

I am a Server Architect on DUST 514 and, in this devblog, I would like to cover at a high level some of the online technical aspects of DUST 514, including the challenges we have met and the approaches we have taken in handling them.

As a server architect on the project, I am responsible for integrating the DUST FPS multiplayer battles into the EVE universe, as well as optimizing the DUST battle servers to perform even better. Unlike normal FPS multiplayer games, DUST 514 has heavy MMO elements. And unlike normal MMO FPS games, DUST has heavy interaction with one of the most successful MMO space games – EVE Online! This imposes challenges on what technologies we should use in order to have this level of interaction with EVE, while keeping FPS gameplay as smooth as possible.

Vehicle Dynamics in DUST 514
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/11/28/vehicle-dynamics-in-dust-514/

Vehicle classes in DUST 514 resemble modern day battlefield armored vehicles but are more menacing…and multitudes more lethal. You can also customize the vehicles with weapons and modules to ensure highly dynamic and constantly evolving gameplay where no single vehicle can impose absolute supremacy. The ultimate goal is to create an experience where players make meaningful choices based on their surroundings and situations when deploying vehicles.

There's nothing else they can announce for this game that won't have me buy it day one.

I mean they had me at Move support :D

Dropsuits in DUST 514
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/12/19/dropsuits-in-dust-514/

Infantry dropsuits are designed to protect and sustain the wearer in even the harshest environments. Different dropsuits offer specific bonuses to speed, mobility, defense and configurability. Like starships and planetary vehicles, dropsuits come in a variety of shapes and sizes, each with a unique slot configuration and powergrid (PG) and CPU that inform the decisions you make when customizing your chosen dropsuit.

The number and type of slots determine the modules (interchangeable hardware components that enhance or otherwise alter the functionality of the dropsuit), weapons, and equipment you can fit. The slot types available on dropsuits are as follows:
Light
Heavy
Sidearm
High
Low
Equipment
Grenade

It seems like an odd time to introduce this, unless they're planning to release a prettified, compatible version on the PS4. One thing about PC MMOs is you don't have to keep your 2004 box around to play WoW.

How hard is it to port though ? We have seen other devs port PS3 levels to Vita for testing purposes, and of course PS2 to PS3 HD games.

patsu said:
How hard is it to port though ? We have seen other devs port PS3 levels to Vita for testing purposes, and of course PS2 to PS3 HD games.

Porting can be hard depending on how much money u want to spend..

It also depends completely on hardware architecture. Say this is designed for the cell (I dunno if this is true) and Sony ps4 has a completely different CPU. Suddenly u find urself having to rewrite the entire code

Is this not based on the unreal engine, maybe they can "easily" drop in assets and scripts etc for the next-gen when the engine gets the platform update?

Sony mulls PS3 microtransactions, item trading for Dust 514
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...3-microtransactions-item-trading-for-dust-514

Sony is mulling the addition of micro-transactions and item trading on PlayStation Network, beginning with PlayStation 3 and Vita online shooter Dust 514.

Developer CCP said plans for dealing with Dust 514's item management were "breaking new ground" on PSN and, if implemented, could become a universal system for buying, selling and trading content using Sony's online services.

CCP said Sony was hammering out price guidelines and item restrictions to allow Dust 514's system to be expanded to other games if successful.

CCP plans for Dust 514 to include robust systems of virtual commerce similar to its traditional PC MMO Eve Online, which Dust 514 ties into.

Someone in the comments section of the Eurogamer article on this made some comments about what it was in particular that they were considering.

It seems it's not just simply buying virtual items from an in-game store with real money, but iirc also cover stuff like allowing players themselves to trade virtual items and such for real dosh.

Sounds interesting but i'd like to know more.

Yap, I think the perfect place to do that exchange is PS Home. It would allow us to see virtual items. There are also clubhouses for encouraging collection, exchange and sharing. But they should add a 2D UI over the process so we can blaze through the exchange or even auction UI when we are busy.

Back