DUST514

If they can pull this off, it will be amazing. Been keeping my eye on this game since it was announced and I can't wait to try it out.

That interplay between PC Eve players and PS3 fps players is very unique indeed :smile: !

EVE players can contract Dust mercenary groups to invade planetary districts on their behalf.

This is what I had in mind when I first heard the concept. I hope DUST also attracts a very dedicated following like EVE, though the decision to make it a ps3 exclusive is pretty strange. Do they really want the console trigger happy crowd to mingle with the serious EVE players?

That interplay between PC Eve players and PS3 fps players is very unique indeed :smile: !

This is what I had in mind when I first heard the concept. I hope DUST also attracts a very dedicated following like EVE, though the decision to make it a ps3 exclusive is pretty strange. Do they really want the console trigger happy crowd to mingle with the serious EVE players?

The difference(s) you are alluding to, maybe they did decided on doing it this way for those exact reasons.
Perhaps they wanted the console fps shooting crowd for their different perspectives, and unique way of doing things, whatever that may be.

They should let us mingle with the Eve players sometimes at least ! The game is not so special anymore without the serious players. I might piss them off but I may be there to make a real difference !

They should let us mingle with the Eve players sometimes at least ! The game is not so special anymore without the serious players. I might piss them off but I may be there to make a real difference !

Mercenaries for hire are anyways supposed to be Gung Ho and thick brained :LOL: ! So, I guess if we can't grasp the intricacies, we'll fit the role really well ! Ha Ha :LOL: !

Well... the serious players can always device policies to organize our missions. I don't see how our participation will ruin "everything". Screw ups in some missions should be expected. Otherwise, where's the fun ? ;-)

Often times even console online FPS games ultimately end up with a super hardcore community surrounding them.

They need to make DUST as deep and tactical as they can, so that the really serious DUST players can even end up affecting the EVE world in a meaningful way. I would love to be able to become such a good DUST squad commander that EVE players have to bid for my services.

They need super solid clan support, and need to integrate it into the game well enough that the integration between my clan or warband ensures that everything we do is for a higher cause or greater purpose.

If they get this right, i could play this game forever :)

Yap ! If we get enough serious players in MAG, it would have been so much more immersive and exciting.

This looks like a mix of pace, and has more things to ponder over.

If the Eve players want, they can divide their missions into smaller ones so that a rogue mission will only result in partial failure. A partial success would make subsequent failures more unlikely. There should be many ingenious ways to scheme and influence outcome.

Interview: Dust 514 on PS3 will help, hurt EVE Online players in new ways:
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...-help-hurt-eve-online-players-in-new-ways.ars

"PC players are really worried about what it could do, and how it could upset things," Fannar said, "but we need to energize the world by disrupting it every once in a while." Dust 514 is the first of a few things CCP is working on to broaden the appeal of the EVE universe. Fannar is acutely aware of human nature's aversion to change. Plenty of existing fans are on board with the expanding universe, and while that pleases Fannar, he clarified that Dust "isn't designed for them." PC gamers aren't uninvited, they just aren't the target audience.

Players enter the world as surface-based infantrymen with larger goals than logging out with a positive kill/death ratio. Soldiers fit into the existing social structure of the universe by forming corporations that cross into both EVE and Dust. Completing contracts issued by other players helps feed the economy, and aids in funding and supporting increasingly capable corporations. Eventually, objectives evolve into much larger events.

"CCP is a company that believes in huge consequences," Fannar said. "That's how you give combat a meaning. We expect some people will be turned off by that, but we want people to have feelings that are real." EVE, while not an immediately accessible game for most, certainly has its fair share of interesting emergent stories. In certain cases, players have spent actual, real-life years infiltrating enemy organizations for the express purpose of imploding its internal economy. Spaceships are destroyed permanently, bank accounts are drained completely, and those affected are left utterly devastated. Dust players stand to lose much as well.

First-person shooters require respawning simply by the nature of their action-oriented play. Players going head-to-head are going to kill each other, and rolling a new space marine every five to 30 seconds is anything but appealing. Spending earned cash on cloning is the consequence, so soldiers are encouraged to play smart and to work together, if only for financial reasons. Consequences branch beyond some lost coin in Dust 514, though.

I have a feeling we will see clan "lulz" in DUST514. :)

Very interesting to see what the consequences for dying will be.. :)
We get cloned, but we miss some stats for a while, I guess.. :p

Might be interesting to see if console-players knows how to temporarily retreat, instead of assuming we can beat those 4 other people all by ourselves.. :p

Woooaaaahh.... the consquences for death sound utterly wicked!

So you could potentially bankrupt your company by dying too much and having to be cloned again and again. That's awesome!

Hopefully that will be enough of an incentive for the console players to be tactical, work together and plan their engagements.

I'm getting pumped for this game now... heck... day one regardless now

It actually sounds too good to be true. :devilish:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/68866/e3-2011-dust-514

A brief explanation was given about how players could conquer planets and build infrastructure (in EVE Online). Following the sandbox design ethos, the in-game objectives in both EVE Online and Dust 514 are determined by the players themselves. However, Dust 514 will also include a "High Security Space" for new players that features matchmaking functionality to help teach players the ropes. One player (in EVE Online) might build several sets of structures (like mines or cloning facilities) and defenses on a planet. Another faction might hire a group of mercenaries to conquer the planet, but it's up to them to decide which structures to attack and secure. Capturing a cloning facility on an enemy planet, for example, will enable that faction to more easily create and deploy troops to the front lines. Mercenary corporations formed with friends in both Dust 514 and EVE Online can be enlisted to carry out planet-side portion of the missions, which are played out in sessions of Dust 514 that will accommodate between thirty and forty players at a time, and last an average of twenty minutes

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/08/e3-2011-what-could-dust-514-mean-for-eve-onlines-pc-gamers/

Farrer told me that while playing EVE Online on the server where DUST was being tested, he saw some activity on a planet as he was flying by it in space. He got close to the planet and looked close, and he see combat raging below, and got a sudden message in his chat box: “Hello!” It was the Dust player on the surface of the planet who had seen his ship above him in the sky and sent a message of greeting. Let me state that in simple terms: a PC EVE Online player flying a space ship could see and communicate with a PS3 player shooting on the ground of the planet.

But PC players won’t be sitting idly by as the grunts on the ground duke it out for control. Spaceships will be able to bombard the battlefield from orbit, but they’ll have to duke it out with the other ships that will be looking to bombard from orbit as well. But the ground grunts don’t have to take it lying down. They’ll be able to fire back at orbitting ships with massive anti-ship turrets on the battlefield. EVE players already have some amazingly epic-sized space battles (in the past, they broke the servers when they had over 15,000 player-controlled ships in one sector fighting)–I can only imagine how much more exciting and massive they’ll be when they’re happening in tandem with a ground assault on multiple planets’ surfaces in the region.

UPDATE: Farrer contacted us Friday morning to clarify his story a bit. Here is how he described it, “When in orbit around a planet, ships in EVE can see conflict zones represented on the surface, and access information about the individual battle. Requests and communication between the two games is possible, and orbital strike requests from DUST players on the surface do indeed pop up and EVE players can happily deliver death from above! So there is a very direct live connection between the PC and the PS3, but at this point you can’t literally ‘see’ the battles and their components taking place from the PC.” This is a bit less exciting technology-wise than how we heard it described on the show floor, but still very cool!

I don't know if CCP has developed a FPS before. DUST 514 + Eve Online sounds like MAG + user constructed worlds + meta-game. I hope they get help from Zipper because I really :love: MAG. If DUST 514 fails as a straight FPS, then the whole house of cards may collapse.

Missed this update. The developers followed up on their PC-PS3 cross play concept...

Dust 514 preview: Contractual murder:
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/20/du...actual-murder/

Here's that Gamescom preview where I tell you how shocked I was about a game I didn't expect to be all about. You've been warned. Still with me? Great. Dust 514, a first-person shooter MMO cross-platform experience from CCP Games, is without a doubt the biggest surprise for me of Gamescom. At the end of a long week of previewing dozens of games, I didn't expect to be blown away by the little hyped game from the Icelandic devs at CCP, but here we are.

Ready for things to get more bananas? Let's say you're on a planet, shooting dudes with your space gun, and you need some assistance. Say, a series of high-powered laser beams from an orbital ship, just for example's sake. You could always ask your buddy who's sitting at his PC playing EVE Online to do just that by sending him the coordinates. And just like that, lasers rain from the sky, destroying that pesky tank that simply refused to stop firing missiles in your direction. That also happens in real-time via cross-platform chat.

Again, if I weren't watching the developers actually do this in front of me, I'd be reticent to point out how insanely impressive it was. But as the dev leading the demo progressed through the map, eventually taking the enemy ship and completing the contract, I found myself more and more shocked. The combat itself looked a bit rough, but the game is still a ways out and, for a game in pre-Alpha, it appeared more than competent, mechanically speaking. And though I wasn't shown in the demo, things will apparently get even more insane with a commander (another actual human being) taking control of the enormous command ship.

If it weren't already clear, I think you should be paying attention to Dust 514 over the next year. Beyond the compelling game, its base-level ties to all things EVE Online are a first in the console market. And with such a low price barrier to entry planned, I have high hopes that it'll bring a sea change in the way gamers see microtransaction-based games.

Back