Dragon's Dogma 2 [PS5, XBSX|S, PC] - The same old DD you know and love, with more spice

Bummer no pc windows store. No epic.

The pricing on steam is so expensive
yes, every game I can I try to buy on Windows Store if possible, or even at GoG if the game isn't on the pc gamepass or similar, but that's how it is

okay... watched more gameplay videos....

uh... this game looks like a modded Dragon's Dogma 1. i wonder what made this game much heavier to run.... way more physics calculations?

i mean... look at the geometry complexity for example. its very low, even the rocks are like PS3 games, including the low-res textures. some stuff like the grass destity does looks good tho.

NPC scripting is already named as the culprit. Killing some supposedly improves performance XD

https://www.gamesradar.com/determin...-of-rpgs-inconsequential-and-cpu-hungry-npcs/

On that note, when i look on Baldur gate 3 famous city benchmark point, immediately similar bench point in Novigrad comes to mind. Years passed and In fact not much has changed, both games are quite comparable in such place , few roads maybe 30npc seen, both can drop below 30.

What has changed is the CPU, from jaguar to zen 2. Few times ipc, over double th clock speed gained. One would thought there shouldn't be any problems in such scenarios anymore, but here we are. I really think " performance last " mentality from other branches of programing craft is infiltrating games industry more and more.

I really think " performance last " mentality from other branches of programing craft is infiltrating games industry more and more.
Pretty much nobody goes into gaming programming without having a passion for gaming.

Moreover, developers are not just ignoring that performance matters. It's simply a lot more difficult than most people think to achieve all this complex interoperability in a video game, much less do so in a reliable and performant manner.

I know.

Just when I see todays games not doing anything that different Cpu-wise than games from 5-1--15 years ago but are struggling on todays many times more powerfull monster cpus, scathing comments are writning themselves just like that. In such context even zen2 should be viewed as "monster cpu". Another thing is over time more things formerly done on cpu have moved to gpu which feed itself more, better APIS etc and Hoghwarts legacy is somehow that cpu heavy.
Is open world game with few tens of npcs suddenly a new invention and uncharted water from programmer perspective?. I ask rhetorically : what is Hogwarts legacy doing cpu wise that is that different from for example Bully to make it such cpu limited? To me this is little laughable when looking from such angle.

Just played it for a few hours. Download size about 60GB. There's no preload on Steam, but Steam's CDN is pretty good, no congestion on my side. Took less than 10 minutes to download.

Game is indeed not fast. I use a 7950X3D + 4090 set up, but still only gets about 60 FPS with everything max out. DLSS quality mode improves the FPS to ~80, but reducing the resolution further makes little difference. FPS is indeed lower when in town compared to in the wild, so looks likely the main culprit of lower performance is indeed the NPC logic.

Just played it for a few hours. Download size about 60GB. There's no preload on Steam, but Steam's CDN is pretty good, no congestion on my side. Took less than 10 minutes to download.

Game is indeed not fast. I use a 7950X3D + 4090 set up, but still only gets about 60 FPS with everything max out. DLSS quality mode improves the FPS to ~80, but reducing the resolution further makes little difference. FPS is indeed lower when in town compared to in the wild, so looks likely the main culprit of lower performance is indeed the NPC logic.
Havn't watched any reviews or anything yet so excuse my lazy question. What are they using RT for in this and how does it run with it turned off?

Havn't watched any reviews or anything yet so excuse my lazy question. What are they using RT for in this and how does it run with it turned off?

It's not entirely clear but when I enabled RT it disabled ambiant occlusion, so it probably replaces that. I guess it also does RT shadow. Reflections do not look like RT but more like screen space.
If I turn shadow quality down from max to high, I can see some shadow flickering in some places. I didn't see any flickering when using max. Max shadow is a bit slower but not by much.
I did a quick test in a room, turning off RT increases FPS by a bit from ~72 to ~78.
There is also a "interlaced" rendering mode, but it's disabled if you enable DLSS.
FSR3 is also supported but no DLSS3.

There are some wierdness in the graph settings. For example, when I tried FSR3, ray tracing was grayed out, which makes no sense. Then I turned off FSR3 and tried dynamic resolution, then both FSR3 and DLSS were grayed out, which probably makes sense, but when I turned dynamic resolution off, FSR3 and DLSS were still grayed out. This makes me wonder what's actually enabled or disabled, because many settings do not really have much effects on frame rates. The settings now seem bugged and there's no way in game to reset it (even using the "reset settings" function do not enable them back). I probably have to resort to editing the config file manually.

Another intereting tibit is that this game does not seem to properly stick on cores with V3D cache by default. I tried to set affinity of the game process to the V3D cores but it does not seem to improve performance.

I'm a fan ...that said the performance is not great...
It's bad enought that i struggle to understand how it's not reflected in review score
And on steam it's the eact opposite (and too much)
Where is balance in this world ?

I'm a fan ...that said the performance is not great...
It's bad enought that i struggle to understand how it's not reflected in review score
And on steam it's the eact opposite (and too much)
Where is balance in this world ?
im on steam, great performance

GPU stuck at 99% usage.

there are some stutter when things happening for the 1st time tho. not sure its streaming issue or what. like for example in one cutscene, there's a new audio FX (just metal clanking), and it stutters. despite it was not showing anything that should stutter.

---

btw the game have ridiculously varied asset quality. everything sticks like sore thumbs.

Whoa! nice nature! treees!!! then... right beside that tree... low poly and low quality texture rocks...

nice lights and reflection! then reached a body of water... uh... that's a water?

There are some wierdness in the graph settings. For example, when I tried FSR3, ray tracing was grayed out, which makes no sense. Then I turned off FSR3 and tried dynamic resolution, then both FSR3 and DLSS were grayed out, which probably makes sense, but when I turned dynamic resolution off, FSR3 and DLSS were still grayed out. This makes me wonder what's actually enabled or disabled, because many settings do not really have much effects on frame rates. The settings now seem bugged and there's no way in game to reset it (even using the "reset settings" function do not enable them back). I probably have to resort to editing the config file manually.

Another intereting tibit is that this game does not seem to properly stick on cores with V3D cache by default. I tried to set affinity of the game process to the V3D cores but it does not seem to improve performance.
enabling some things, requiring going to the title screen to be able to change things. assuming you were changing things mid gameplay.

enabling some things, requiring going to the title screen to be able to change things. assuming you were changing things mid gameplay.

The broken states persist even after relaunching the game, unfortunately. I suspect the culprit could be that I once cancelled a change, and it might spooked the internal checks for state consistency.

im on steam, great performance

GPU stuck at 99% usage.

there are some stutter when things happening for the 1st time tho. not sure its streaming issue or what. like for example in one cutscene, there's a new audio FX (just metal clanking), and it stutters. despite it was not showing anything that should stutter.

---

btw the game have ridiculously varied asset quality. everything sticks like sore thumbs.

Whoa! nice nature! treees!!! then... right beside that tree... low poly and low quality texture rocks...

nice lights and reflection! then reached a body of water... uh... that's a water?
Also the npc and how the IA react.
At every level for me the game is a rollercoaster of highs and downs
But i'm all in for the bold design choice.

I'm playing on PS5 and so far I'm having a blast. I had my ass handed me on multiple time by Grffens and Minotaurs (there should be a 'bravely run away' button). It plays just like the old Dragon Dogma but with more style and waaaay better graphics. The whole world feels alive in a way I haven't really experienced since the Witcher 3, even if that life is mainly out to end yours. It's a bit like living in Australia in that respect.

Biggest annoyance is the encumberance system.You get overloaded if a fly lands on you!

As for framerate, TBH, I've not really noticed anything. Even in the towns.The only weird thing is the way that NPCs fade in and out of existence just a couple of meters away from you.

*Note*

One thing to watch out for though is the reload options - last save or last stay at inn. As you don't tend to stay at inns that often picking that option is a bad idea as it will erase your last save point and so you can, potentially, lose all your progress if your last inn stop was way before your last save.

One thing to watch out for though is the reload options - last save or last stay at inn. As you don't tend to stay at inns that often picking that option is a bad idea as it will erase your last save point and so you can, potentially, lose all your progress if your last inn stop was way before your last save.

They could have fixed that issue so easiler by having 'last save xx hours ago'

Back