DOOM (4 / next)

Bioshock is so damn bizarre that I wondered if my character was maybe a freak of nature with no face or something anyway. ;)

I think it feels a little dated in the invisible walls and little things e.g. no feet. And there is just something slightly stilted in the overall feeling.
Yeah the invisible walls are way too common. The feel of the game reminds me of Doom3 though.

I agree the invisible walls were overused. That speaks of laziness, or more likely over commitment originally. In otherwords they had too much wasteland and just said screw it clip everything so we don't have to worry about where the player can get.

I too think it is hilarious that it is getting bashed for a silent protagonist, but they had to come up with something to make it seem like they are doing their job. Zero punctuations actually didn't even eviscerate it too much. I enjoy his evisceration in general regardless of whether I happen to agree.

Since this is the D4 thread though I just want to put my hat in for more enemies. I don't need painkiller hordes, but I really want more than Rage. Rage was actually pretty good in some combat scenarios, but having twice the enemies would have made some spots epic. That shanty town part springs to mind as does subway level.s

Again, that's why they're aiming for 30 fps.

I really, really wish they'd unveil it as soon as possible...

If there's anything we can expect from tech5 it's a well-lit scenery. Rage had a few blinking lights in Dead City so they can do the kind of scary dark room stuff from Doom1 but otherwise I expect it to have some very moody, soft lighting for most of the environments.

Did it bother you when Half-Life 2, Borderlands, every CoD except Black Ops, Demon's Souls, Bioshock, and Dead Space had silent protagonists?

On my HL2 review that's one of my dislikes about the game. Some of the dialogue was really contrived because of it and forced character choices I would never make. That's even considering the first game Gordon was a silent protagonist. Same with Bioshock but I didn't write a review per se. Other games didn't play or didn't care.

For most reviewers, it was acceptable in those games, but when Rage Guy doesn't speak, every review is filled with floods of tears because id can't get with the times.

I know but I can't speak for them. Btw, I don't consider Rage to be dated because of this but I do feel not every game id makes has to have a silent protagonist. More than getting with the times (or fads) it shows either a stubborn mentality, limited creativity (when it comes to main character interaction), playing it safe or all of the above.

I just think the same old argument of "we want the player to be the character instead of playing one" just starts wearing thin if this applies to all games, regardless of their story, gameplay or setting. For the next DOOM I actually want for the protagonist to be silent. I wouldn't be mad if he wasn't but the history of the franchise and probable story weight lend themselves to such a character.

On my HL2 review that's one of my dislikes about the game. Some of the dialogue was really contrived because of it and forced character choices I would never make. That's even considering the first game Gordon was a silent protagonist.

Uh what choices did you make in the game? Oh right none. Hence it really doesn't matter if he made choices you would not make. Heh remember the "choice" in D3. Choose A or B, Great you chose (insert A or B) now the same thing will happen. Is that an acceptable thing to do? They can pretend to give lots of choices and just write the story so you get the same result regardless.

You can get into the Niko Bellic problem with dialogue too though, where he seems sort of a nice enough fellow and not at all the murderous deranged psycopath we all play him as.

Uh what choices did you make in the game? Oh right none. Hence it really doesn't matter if he made choices you would not make. Heh remember the "choice" in D3. Choose A or B, Great you chose (insert A or B) now the same thing will happen. Is that an acceptable thing to do? They can pretend to give lots of choices and just write the story so you get the same result regardless.

Agreed but I didn't mean I as myself, I meant "I" as Gordon. For instance, Gordon would get into situations with new characters or old Black Mesa acquaitances and the dialogue flow wasn't coherent with Gordon's character. On H-L1 this wasn't as noticeable because "HEY COLOURED LIGHTS IN SOFTWARE! enemy flushes you out with grenades! Breaking glass! Alt-fire weapons!". In HL2 the much more elaborate and more frequent dialogue made it stand out.

Back