dontamend.com

Gee.. Someone sounds perturbed. :?

This is really a simple thing.

1) Natural: that which occurs in nature --> correct
2) Natural: the inherent sense of what is right or wrong --> correct

---------
Undeniable Fact on Definition #1: Homosexuality is natural because it occurs in nature
---------

---------
Joe's Debatable Opinion on Definition #2: Homosexuality is Wrong --> correct
---------
Malik's Debatable Opinion on Definition #2: Homosexuality is Right --> correct
---------

We have polar opposite outcomes with the same exact definition, which are both completely correct within our own context of belief. If you want to base your entire belief system wrt homosexuality upon this, then so be it. I have no problem with that. But in my opinion that is a flawed way to build and present your case to someone who does not believe in the way you do because you are dealing with a matter of opinion and not a matter of absolutes. That's one reason why it's so difficult to convert people from one religion to another.

It is an absolute that homosexuality is found in nature, and is therefore natural. It is not an absolute that homosexuality is right, and is therefore natural, or that homosexuality is wrong, and is therefore unnatural.

Anyways, I'm heading out. My parents are taking me and Eddie to a seafood restaurant (Blue Water Grill for those who live in or around NYC) for my birthday. It was the 23rd. :)

Natoma said:
1) Natural: that which occurs in nature --> correct

I'll start protesting right here. Where at m-w..."the final say in english cannon" according to you, is that definition given?

There are a few similar ones, but nothing that says "that which occurs in nature".

And beyond that, you have to define what "nature" is. (Otherwise how can we evaluate whether or not something "occurs" in it or not?)

2) Natural: the inherent sense of what is right or wrong --> correct[/quote]

Right. I did not alter the definition in any way shape or form.

Undeniable Fact on Definition #1: Homosexuality is natural because it occurs in nature

Wrong. I don't see where "occuring in nature" as a definition for natural, nor have you defined what "nature" is, such that an evaluation can be made.

Joe's Debatable Opinion on Definition #2: Homosexuality is Wrong --> correct
---------

Right.

Malik's Debatable Opinion on Definition #2: Homosexuality is Correct --> correct
---------

Right.

We have polar opposite outcomes with the same exact definition, which are both completely correct within our own context of belief. If you want to base your entire belief system wrt homosexuality upon this, then so be it.

Hmmm...you have a problem with a moral belief system being based on an inherent sense of right and wrong?

I have no problem with that.

I would hope not.

But in my opinion that is a flawed way to build and present your case to someone who does not believe in the way you do because you are dealing with a matter of opinion and not a matter of absolutes.

As I said before, since when is right and wrong a matter of absolutes? Since when is "natural" a matter of absolutes?

You're telling me that I will ask someone if the Empire State Building is "natural", then the will absolutely say "yes"? According you YOU, the empire state building "occurs in nature."

I daresay that not everyone agrees.

Natoma said:
So you're saying that promiscuity exploded only because of the pill and sex education? Uhm, you most not have studied up on your history.

American Brothels in the 19th century were rampant, as they were in Europe. The rates of syphillis and gonorrhea and clamydia were surpremely high in 14th - 17th century Europe mostly due to promiscuity. The levels dropped in the 18th and 19th centuries, but they were still far higher than they are today, due to the invention of penicillin in the 20th century.

Dare I bring up the Roman and Grecian empires? And lets not even talk about the Babylonians. Man did they know how to throw orgies. :)

Brothels may have been there but the vast majority women did not whore them selves out for a quick buck. STDs were always around to a degree but to say that monogamous marriages don't stop the proliferation to a higher degree that it is today is absolute bullshit. Hundreds of millions of people suffer with STDs that are not curable and it is mostly do to the break down of the idea of monogamous relationships and marriage. To suggest that monogamy does not stop transitions of STDs is absolute crap spread by left wing utopians wanting to replace religion as the opiate of the masses for hedonistic notions of sexuality.

Sure you can point out in some instances in the past there were unusual sexual practices but for the most part society was monogamous primarily due to the fact that sexual intercourse often resulted in a child that required parents to look after it and bring that child up. This is costly and time consuming and is the heart of the natural family and monogamy.

To deny the impact of the pill on society in terms of the natural family is too ignore the vastly greater experiences of the entire history of mankind. So what there were brothels were a few whores used their gender advantage to make a buck. (Probably where most of the STDs of the past were born.) So what there were a few instances where people actually engaged in orgies it doesn't negate the fact that the vast majority of humanity has always preferred heterosexual monogamy as the familial model embodied by marriage whereby they raised their children.

You need to be a little bit more realistic with your history. The pill gave women control over the birth process like never before. So in effect we are in an overly sexual environment where the natural consequences of being highly promiscuous are not fully realized. Of course there is always the millions of people who are dieing of AIDS, have Herpes, HPV(One in three sexually active have the virus of HPV, condoms are not effective against it and it results in venereal warts that cause cancer particularly in woman.), gonorrhea, syphilis on and on. There is also a speculation between sex and viruses that can cause heart diseases, arthritis. (I read this somewhere.) The consequences of the pill and its effect on society are yet to be fully realized but we will soon know as the older generations die off society will become more and more oblivious to the natural family and the left can rewrite history the way they want it to look for the kiddies of course. That and STDs will be the legacy of the "sexual revolution".

My big ass red dictionary says:

Natural:

1. of, or pertaining to nature
2. existing in, or formed by nature
3. in accordance with the principles of nature
4. as formed by nature without human intervention
5. in accordance with human nature
6. in accordance with the nature of things
7. without affectation or restraint
8. inborn, native, natural ability
9. being such because of one's inborn nature
10. reproducting the original or the orginal state closely.
11. of or pertaining to the natural sciences.
12. having a real or physical existance
13. based on the innate moral feeling of mankind
14. related only by birth; of no legal relationship; illegitimate:
a natural son
15. unenlightened or unregenerate; the natural man.
16. Music. a. a white key on the piano, organ, or the like. b. the sign 'q, placed before a note, cancelling the effect of a previous sharp or flat.
17. Informal. any person or thing that is well qualified in some way
18. Music a. neither sharp nor flat; without sharps or flats.
19. an idiot
20. Cards. blackjack
21 in craps, a winning combination of 7 and 11 made on the first cast.

I like definition #19 the best. :LOL:

Sabastian said:
To suggest that monogamy does not stop transitions of STDs is absolute crap spread by left wing utopians wanting to replace religion as the opiate of the masses for hedonistic notions of sexuality.

To you everything can be traced back to a left wing conspiracy.

And by the way, what does religion have to do with monogamy? Nothing. There are a ton of religions out there that supported polygamy at one one point in history (and some still do), including:

- Islam
- Judaism (Solomon's 700 wifes and 300 concubines, Jacob, David etc. had several wifes)
- Mormonism
- Hinduism (Brahmana were once allowed three wifes),
- Roman and Greek polytheism

etc. etc.

So it is actually reasonable to assert that it was not religion that induced monogamy into society but rather that is was the other way round.

In fact, social factors and possible social sanctions are much more important in enforcing monogamous behavious than religion.

That and STDs will be the legacy of the "sexual revolution".

STDs have been around a long time and much more rampant than nowadays because - monogamy or no monogamy - people have always been screwing around. So STDs are hardly the "legacy of the sexual revolution".

Another point...

the fact that the vast majority of humanity has always preferred heterosexual monogamy

Not true, there is no such fact. In ancient societies (including ancient Israelite society), polygamy was a common thing.

A popular example: Onan's Sin.
In ancient Israelite society it was required by law that a man takes his brother's widow as a wife and impregnates her if she is without children. Onan though "spilled his seed upon the ground" (i.e. Coitus Interruptus) and that was his sin.

Polgamy (to some extemd) was widespread in many ancient cultures, often only restricted by the man's ability to support all his wifes. One of the earliest restrictions of polygamy can be found in the Code of Hammurabi (a non-religious document) which basically banned polygamy but still permitted husbands to knock up female slaves.

So claiming that the vast majority of humanity has "always" preferred monogamy is kinda ridiculous. Often, monogamy was not matter of choice or preferrence but rather economic viability.

L233 said:
To you everything is the result of a left wing conspiracy.

And by the way, what does religion have to do with monogamy? Nothing. There are a ton of religions out there that supported polygamy at one one point in history (and some still do), including:

- Islam
- Judaism (Solomon's 700 wifes and 300 concubines, Jacob, David etc. had several wifes)
- Mormonism
- Hinduism (Brahmana were once allowed three wifes),
- Roman and Greek polytheism

etc. etc.

So it is actually reasonable to assert that it was not religion that induced monogamy into society but rather that is was the other way round.

In fact, social factors and possible social sanctions are much more important in enforcing monogamous behavious than religion.

It isn't a fucking conspiracy ironically they make no bones about creating a utopia based on sex. Go ask around on any university campus and see for your self. Religion did take up the notion of marriage and the morals surrounding monogamy. RE: adultry etc etc etc. No question that society naturally went with the monogamous heterosexual family as the norm. This is besides the point though. Utopians need something to motivate people with and instead of using religious notions the left wants to replace these questions about why we are here for out and out hedonistic values of self sexual gratification. Which BTW has nothing what so ever to do with monogamous heterosexual natural families.

L233 said:
That and STDs will be the legacy of the "sexual revolution".

STDs have been around a long time and much more rampant than nowadays because - monogamy or no monogamy - people have always been screwing around. So STDs are hardly the "legacy of the sexual revolution".

They have been around but they were never so widely proliferated and this wider proliferation is directly related to sexual promiscuity. The wider proliferation of STDs is indeed a direct result of the greater promiscuous behavior of individuals as a result of the contraceptive effect of not producing children. You know how to avoid getting AIDS 100%? Stay with the one your with. Yes sure people have been screwing around to a degree but nothing like we are seeing today ever. The difference is between a little bit of screwing around and a lot of screwing around. That is not rocket science. Keep up the argument, all you will do is prove my point

L233 said:
So claiming that the vast majority of humanity has "always" preferred monogamy is kinda ridiculous. Often, monogamy was not matter of choice or preferrence but rather economic viability.

While there are exceptions the monogamous heterosexual family model is indeed the number one preferred familial model today and through out human history. Even in societies where polygamy was "common" most lived and wanted monogamous relationships.

Sabastian said:
It isn't a fucking conspiracy ironically they make no bones about creating a utopia based on sex. Go ask around on any university campus and see for your self.

Which utopia would that be?

Religion did take up the notion of marriage and the morals surrounding monogamy. RE: adultry etc etc etc.

Yes but it happened somewhat late is history, at a time at which monogamy had already been the norm. Btw, when I say monogamy I mean being married to only one person - it does not really have that much to do with sexuality since non-martimonial sex has been as widespread throughout the ages as it is today.

No question that society naturally went with the monogamous heterosexual family as the norm.

Then how can you argue that the question of monogamy is somehow and inevitably tied to religiosity when history shows us that religion adapted to whatever the preferred model of family organisation was at a given point in history?

How do you explain the strongly polygamous tradition of early Judaism? According to biblical account, Solomon had relationships with 1000 women and archeology tells us that Jerusalem had maybe 6000 inhabitants at the time Solomon supposedly ruled. So that guy was basically humping every single woman of reproductive age in Jerusalem. That's the great monogamic traditon of Judeo-Christianity.

The adaption of the concept of Original Sin and the condemnation of sexuality as something filthy which is only acceptable for reproduction in a clerically sanctioned relationship came much, much later and it didn't stop people from having non-matrimonial sex. They would just confess their evil sin to some priest and it was all forgiven.

This is besides the point though.

No, it IS the point. You claim that some leftist "utopists" devised a devilish plan to replace religion (and therefor good old monogamy) with some concept of a society based on free-for-all sex orgies. Hell, I bet you also believe that liberals eat children.

Not to mention the hundreds of god-fearing priests who have been railing young boys in the ass and all those popes and bishops with multiple concubines. Sure makes me see that religion has any measurable impact on sexual bahviour.

The question of promiscuous sexuality has nothing to do with religion since religion utterly failed to restrain it to any meaningful extend. In fact, I seriously doubt that promiscuity in rabidly atheistic societies like the USSR was significantly more widespread than among upright, capitalistic, god-fearing North Americans, or Europeans for that matter.

Utopians need something to motivate people with and instead of using religious notions the left wants to replace these questions about why we are here for out and out hedonistic values of self sexual gratification.

That's bullshit. How can "sexual gratification" replace any profound questions about life? You're mixing together two totally unrelated things and make it sound like non-religious people are somehow more prone to promiscuity. Given he fact that like 90% of all Americans confess themselves as Christians who believe in Jeebus you must imply that promiscuity and STDs are mainly a problem for the remaining 10%.

Which BTW has nothing what so ever to do with monogamous heterosexual natural families.

Gotta ask.. what the hell is a "natural" family. A family is not exclusively about sexuality since married people have been having sex with people they are NOT married to since the dawn of humanity. A family is really a social unit.

Working with that definition, there is no such thing as a "natural" family. The nuclear family (again: talking about social units here) consisting of husband, wife and children did not exist before the industrialization. It's a completely new thing. Before that (and that's still the case in many agricultural societies) we had much lager family units, multiple generations living under one roof. And before that we had kinship groups which did not even know personal property as we can still see today in some indigenous primitive societies.

There were times and places in history in which "family" meant being married to a woman and raising children while having a bunch of concubines was no big deal at all and socially accepted. That marriage at some point in history became sexually exclusive is not "natural" in terms of being intrinsic to the concept of monogamy. It was a social change that happened.

The structure of what we refer to as family changed and ist still chaning and will keep changing in the future. We are now at a point where people form families without formalizing their relationship, raise some children and then move on. There is no "natural" state of the family.

They have been around but they were never so widely proliferated and this wider proliferation is directly related to sexual promiscuity.

The issue of monogamy does not touch the problem of people screwing around since the principle of monogamy never stopped people from having sex with other persons than their "sanctioned" spouse.

The only thing that has an impact is the social enviroment. One quite obvious example are Muslim societies. You have the Arabs who harshly police sexual monogamy and then you have Muslims in several Eastern Asian countries who don't. Religion does not seem to be the determining factor. It might be an aggregating factor sometimes but never the determining factor. That myth is tied to the bullshit concept that morality, social stability, in fact society itself cannot work without a religious framework. Dream on.

The wider proliferation of STDs is indeed a direct result of the greater promiscuous behavior of individuals as a result of the contraceptive effect of not producing children.

Oh boy. STDs are not more common nowadays then they used to be in the past, say, until 1900. In fact, they are a lot less common than they used to be. Syphilis, Gonorrhea etc. were once a plague killing or maiming millions, nowadays they are freak incidents thanks to much improved hygiene, medical treatments and the widespread use of condoms (at least in countries which don't bullshit youths about "abstinence only" and tell them how to protect themselves).

AIDS is pretty much a non-issue in Western societies with just a couple of thousands dying each year. This is because of the widespread use of condoms and not because we're so gloriously monogamous (hint: we're not, never were when it comes to sexuality). People in Africa on the other hand are often so incredibly uneducated that they don't even know how aids is transimitted, let alone know how to protect themselves.

You know how to avoid getting AIDS 100%? Stay with the one your with.

That's pretty darn obvious. I still fail to see what this has got do with religion. Plus, you can't be sure that your spouse will not fuck your neighbour or the post man.

Yes sure people have been screwing around to a degree but nothing like we are seeing today ever.

You simply taking a hunch here. Nothing to back that assertion up. It's probably just some good-old-times nostalgia. Just because people didn't talk about it openly a few decades ago does not mean it did not happen.

I prefer the concept that behaviors evolved first, and then people assigned religious significance to them.

Imagine a long time ago, promiscuity was common. An STD arose which killed many people. Monogamous people weren't affected. They ascribed their survival to the Gods and the deaths of the other to God's vengeance. Other people started to believe them, practiced monogamy, and low and below, they were disease free. God has favored them for their obedience!

Even today, people ascribe events in their life to God as the cause. If a footballer scores a touchdown, they point to the sky as if it was God's wish that the 49ers beat the Raiders.

The other thing influencing marriage and monogamy is that women's reproductive machinery is locked up for 9 months everytime it is used (unlike a man's) so if a woman makes a bad choice, it is much more expensive. In a society where men are poor, women want assurances they men aren't going to divide their resources between them, and other's wife's children. They want 100% of the man's resources dedicated to raising children with their genes.

Moreover, because a women'a maternity is a fact, but a man's paternity (before modern medicine) could not be established 100%, men also entered into monogamous marriages as a way to lower the chance of being cuckholded by other men and raising another man's child.

Marriage and monogamy are assigned moral values today, but they probably arose for quite practical reasons historically that had nothing to do with God's demands.

In the animal kingdom, there are animals that are pair bonders (like some birds) and there are animals that are promiscious (both male and female), it seems these behaviors are developed based on local environmental constraints. There are even some human cultures where women take multiple husbands.

Perhaps you should brush up on your evolutionary theory Natoma. You're simply redefining axioms to suit your agenda.

Natoma said:
You framed a supposition wrt homosexuality based on a reduced chance of offspring (if homosexuality is genetic) and continuing a particular genetic line. I framed a supposition wrt white skin (which we know is genetic) based on a reduced chance of offspring and continuing a particular genetic line.
Yet you neglected to acknowledge that skin pigmentation could have both negative and positive aspects. Yes... it depends on the environment. Advantages can sometimes partially or fully offset disadvantages - having a larger brain after all carries plenty of evolutionary disadvantages, but in some environments the advantages may outweigh those negatives. Adaptations aren't environment neutral - they are direct responses to the environment. In this particular case, after reveiwing some nearby texts, it appears that skin pigmentation is probably tied more to Vitamin D production than to heat absorption or retention. Though the thought I threw out was obviously not well thought through (try typing that fast five times :) ), the fact remains that in some environments lighter skin is an evolutionary adaptation because it offers advantages darker skin does not.

I've already clearly outlined the case for the negative evolutionary aspects of homosexuality. I refuse to acknowledge your challenge to that because you and I both know it is vaccuous. I've asked you to name any possible positive evolutionary aspects of homosexuality. I will be patient while you research this and get back to us. I've sincerely interested in what you may find.

I wouldn't know any evolutionary advantages or disadvantages to being gay anymore than I would know any evolutionary advantages or disadvantages for having blond hair or blue eyes.
Don't be obtuse. Even those of us who aren't race-mongers recognize that to some people blue eyes and blond hair is more attractive, and increase the chances for continuing the line of those genes. I doubt I'll ever be so politically correct as to refuse to acknowledge that attractiveness confers no evolutionary advatages, though as the years pass I'm sure it will become less and less of one. That's rather beside the point though, which is that homosexuality has clear evolutionary disadvantages.

What are the advantages? A very clear and unambiguous answer. Let's see how long you dodge this one.

If homosexuality also caused a resultant inability to reproduce then I would certain agree with you that it could be considered a disorder or an evolutionary dead end. But homosexuals are quite capable of reproducing.
If your sexual preference makes you less likely to produce offspring, then it clearly carries evolutionary baggage. Evolution is about the environment, mutation, and statistics, and that's all that really matters in this context. There's no need to argue about you use of the word "capable."

My definition, by your admission, is true in more cases than his, thus it is more effective than his, thus it is better.
And again, that is just ridiculous reasoning. What if you two want to discuss a subject in which, by the context of the topic, requires a rarely used definition of a word? Is the more general definition (either in terms of it's use or in the variety of cases in which it is the correct definition) "better" in the context of your discussion? Of course not. I simply can't believe you would continue to argue from such an illogical premise.

Actually there are quite a few instances in nature of transexuality. And to be frank, transexuals feel all their lives that they are the opposite sex. This can be explained quite easily by the way in which the human fetus actually changes sex while in the womb. I can explain this process in my next post if you wish, but if you understand the process then I won't go into detail.
No need to go into detail. My point was simple, and I think you understood it. Homosexuality being natural by your definition doesn't tell you a whole lot, since by your definition plastic hearts, computers, canals, and high-rise apartments are also natural.

My dear Bigus Dickus. If I were truly intent on dodging the question I would have never responded with my answer now would I. Your line of reasoning is simply false, as I stated earlier.
Erm... whatever you say.

Natoma said:
So why is this the male capable of reproduction throughout his life? Sperm experience the same degradations that female eggs do. A 60 year old male having a child will have a far higher chance of that child having down's syndrome than a 30 year old male.

Shouldn't nature put a stop to this as well?
I think you should revisit some of the texts from your pre-med education. You've missed some very critical aspects of evolution there.

Joe DeFuria said:
Just answer a simple question then.

What on this earth, is not natural?

Nothing. ;) If it can be found on this Earth, then it is without doubt natural. At least, under some defintions, and in the context of some discussions. ;)

In the meantime, the chance of catching an STD outside of oral herpes from a one night stand in the US is extremely low, vanishingly small if proper sexual care is taken (condoms etc) relative to say catching other infectious diseases from food/water/transmission by air etc

Oral Herpes on the other hand, is the statistic killer.

STDs are far lower in modern times per capita, than anytime in history. Thats primarily attributed to safer sex and more importantly, better medical treatment/awareness.

Regardless, I consider myself proudly promiscous! Down with puritanism!

Himself said:
My big ass red dictionary says:

Natural:

1. of, or pertaining to nature
2. existing in, or formed by nature
3. in accordance with the principles of nature
4. as formed by nature without human intervention
5. in accordance with human nature
6. in accordance with the nature of things
7. without affectation or restraint
8. inborn, native, natural ability
9. being such because of one's inborn nature
10. reproducting the original or the orginal state closely.
11. of or pertaining to the natural sciences.
12. having a real or physical existance
13. based on the innate moral feeling of mankind
14. related only by birth; of no legal relationship; illegitimate:
a natural son
15. unenlightened or unregenerate; the natural man.
16. Music. a. a white key on the piano, organ, or the like. b. the sign 'q, placed before a note, cancelling the effect of a previous sharp or flat.
17. Informal. any person or thing that is well qualified in some way
18. Music a. neither sharp nor flat; without sharps or flats.
19. an idiot
20. Cards. blackjack
21 in craps, a winning combination of 7 and 11 made on the first cast.

I like definition #19 the best. :LOL:

Thanks Himself, I'll use your list to illustrate to Natoma the point he has continued to miss.

So I'm having a discussion with a friend of mine about a piece of music we are analyzing. It is an original piece, scribbled down quickly by the composer, and we are attempting to clean it up for publication. The composer didn't indicate the key because, for the most part, it is quite obvious. There is one section, however, where a contrived key change is taking place.

My friend and I are having an argument about what key a particular measure of that transition should be written in. In that measure, there is a note that can be written, depending on the chosen key, as either B-sharp or C-natural. I argue that it should be a B-sharp because C should not be a natural in the context of that passage.

My friend makes the following argument:

"By my chosen definition of natural, which is anything found in nature, anyone would find that this note is natural.

By your chosen definition of natural, it would be up to the educated opinion of someone evaluating the script as to whether the note is a natural or not.

Since everyone comes to the same conclusion using my definition, while different people come to differing conclusions using your defintion, mine is clearly better. Therefore, the note should clearly be a natural."

Perhaps this rather ridiculous example will illustrate how ridiculous your assertion is that the "correctness" of a definition or which is "better" has more to do with the robustness of the definition rather than the context of the discussion.

In this case, it is obvious that the more robust definition is not at all the "better" one.

Again, for those that may have missed it... the chosen defintion must be in agreement with the context of discussion. You don't choose definitions based on which is more robust, and clearly don't declare one is "better" than another based on its robustness. It is better if it more closely suits the context.

In the case of yours and Joe's argument, the problem is, as I've already stated, that you two are using two differing contexts to begin with, thus you will never agree on the better definition. Insisting that yours is better though is not only pointless but incorrect. Neither is better in that case, since there is no shared context upon which to make that determination.

L233 said:
Sabastian said:
It isn't a fucking conspiracy ironically they make no bones about creating a utopia based on sex. Go ask around on any university campus and see for your self.

Which utopia would that be?

The egalitarian, welfare state. The one where all human sexuality is accepted via moral relativism. The one some are trying to build from our court rooms and parliaments. I am not sure but there are a few already that have legalized child porn today.

L233 said:
Sabastian said:
Religion did take up the notion of marriage and the morals surrounding monogamy. RE: adultry etc etc etc.

Yes but it happened somewhat late is history, at a time at which monogamy had already been the norm. Btw, when I say monogamy I mean being married to only one person - it does not really have that much to do with sexuality since non-martimonial sex has been as widespread throughout the ages as it is today.

Monogamous relationships can exist outside of the marriage arrangement. That is where the institution of marriage comes from not religion but religions help to keep social mores in place to minimize promiscuity. I never said marriage was explicitly tied in with a particular religion but rather religions in general. I see religion adapting the social norm founded in the father, mother and child relationship as something that was a matter of fact.

L233 said:
Sabastian said:
No question that society naturally went with the monogamous heterosexual family as the norm.

Then how can you argue that the question of monogamy is somehow and inevitably tied to religiosity when history shows us that religion adapted to whatever the preferred model of family organisation was at a given point in history?

How do you explain the strongly polygamous tradition of early Judaism? According to biblical account, Solomon had relationships with 1000 women and archeology tells us that Jerusalem had maybe 6000 inhabitants at the time Solomon supposedly ruled. So that guy was basically humping every single woman of reproductive age in Jerusalem. That's the great monogamic traditon of Judeo-Christianity.

The adaption of the concept of Original Sin and the condemnation of sexuality as something filthy which is only acceptable for reproduction in a clerically sanctioned relationship came much, much later and it didn't stop people from having non-matrimonial sex. They would just confess their evil sin to some priest and it was all forgiven.

I do not recall ever stating that religion is the source of monogamy, ever. I said that religions took the social norm basically as a matter of fact. Clearly monogamy has some fantastic advantages that were apparent to people, society and religion.

L233 said:
Sabastian said:
This is besides the point though.

No, it IS the point. You claim that some leftist "utopists" devised a devilish plan to replace religion (and therefor good old monogamy) with some concept of a society based on free-for-all sex orgies. Hell, I bet you also believe that liberals eat children.

Not to mention the hundreds of god-fearing priests who have been railing young boys in the ass and all those popes and bishops with multiple concubines. Sure makes me see that religion has any measurable impact on sexual bahviour.

The question of promiscuous sexuality has nothing to do with religion since religion utterly failed to restrain it to any meaningful extend. In fact, I seriously doubt that promiscuity in rabidly atheistic societies like the USSR was significantly more widespread than among upright, capitalistic, god-fearing North Americans, or Europeans for that matter.

You can exaggerate that position all you like but it does not deny the reality of what we are seeing does it. Also you missed the point all together.

L233 said:
Sabastian said:
Utopians need something to motivate people with and instead of using religious notions the left wants to replace these questions about why we are here for out and out hedonistic values of self sexual gratification.

That's bullshit. How can "sexual gratification" replace any profound questions about life? You're mixing together two totally unrelated things and make it sound like non-religious people are somehow more prone to promiscuity. Given he fact that like 90% of all Americans confess themselves as Christians who believe in Jeebus you must imply that promiscuity and STDs are mainly a problem for the remaining 10%.

No it is not bullshit and this is where you missed the point or attempt to discredit it. 90% believe in Jesus? And hellfire and all those things that you imagine they do? That is bullshit! Utopians (Socialist, egalitarians, communist etc.) hate religion and need to kill it and have it replaced with their own brand of motivations to work for the state. They also despise the natural family and portray it as a thing of inequality. The welfare state is a dammed good start at minimizing the consequences of intercourse. Even if you do manage to get a girl knocked up the state takes care of business as opposed to the individual whom is responsible for the act. Look at all the things we do that minimize the consequences of promiscuity: single parent families supported by the state, extreme amounts of money injected in to medical research to find cures for all the STDs, sex education that has no sense of moral conviction about how children should approach sex as that would be politically incorrect, a wide variety of contraceptives and the notion that you can also use abortion as a contraceptive (even late term abortions are legal.), a massive change with regards to moral judgments WRT sexuality … on and on.

L233 said:
Sabastian said:
Which BTW has nothing what so ever to do with monogamous heterosexual natural families.

Gotta ask.. what the hell is a "natural" family. A family is not exclusively about sexuality since married people have been having sex with people they are NOT married to since the dawn of humanity. A family is really a social unit.

Working with that definition, there is no such thing as a "natural" family. The nuclear family (again: talking about social units here) consisting of husband, wife and children did not exist before the industrialization. It's a completely new thing. Before that (and that's still the case in many agricultural societies) we had much lager family units, multiple generations living under one roof. And before that we had kinship groups which did not even know personal property as we can still see today in some indigenous primitive societies.

There were times and places in history in which "family" meant being married to a woman and raising children while having a bunch of concubines was no big deal at all and socially accepted. That marriage at some point in history became sexually exclusive is not "natural" in terms of being intrinsic to the concept of monogamy. It was a social change that happened.

The structure of what we refer to as family changed and ist still chaning and will keep changing in the future. We are now at a point where people form families without formalizing their relationship, raise some children and then move on. There is no "natural" state of the family.

Oh my, are you a complete moron? Do you have a father? ANS: Yes Do you have a mother? ANS: Yes. Are you their child? ANS: Yes. The nuclear family is not a bomb, it is you, your mom and your dad regardless of your living arrangement. The nuclear family is also considered a (your) natural family. Understand this very basic concept yet? The natural family model that is the preferred familial unit even with contraceptives available. It will never disappear, it is the mechanism humans use to reproduce. When a person answers a question about whom their real parents are they are describing the natural family. Nature requires in mammalian species in reproduction a mother and a father. Thus an arrangement of mother, father and child is how we describe the natural family. Find your natural parents and you will find your natural family.

L233 said:
Sabastian said:
They have been around but they were never so widely proliferated and this wider proliferation is directly related to sexual promiscuity.

The issue of monogamy does not touch the problem of people screwing around since the principle of monogamy never stopped people from having sex with other persons than their "sanctioned" spouse.

The only thing that has an impact is the social enviroment. One quite obvious example are Muslim societies. You have the Arabs who harshly police sexual monogamy and then you have Muslims in several Eastern Asian countries who don't. Religion does not seem to be the determining factor. It might be an aggregating factor sometimes but never the determining factor. That myth is tied to the bullshit concept that morality, social stability, in fact society itself cannot work without a religious framework. Dream on.

To behave in a monogamous relationship is to hold the moral that monogamy is the proper way to behave. If you are married to someone you are in a monogamous relationship for better or worse you have agreed to it. I never have argued that it was apart of human nature although some may feel that way. There is nothing inherently wrong with monogamy in my opinion, why do you have such a problem with people looking after their own offspring? Why do you even have a problem with being faithful to your spouse? All religion does is help form some moral platform for people to work from, do you also hate religion? Should people be free to be religious or should they look to the state for their moral convictions?

L233 said:
Sabastian said:
The wider proliferation of STDs is indeed a direct result of the greater promiscuous behavior of individuals as a result of the contraceptive effect of not producing children.

Oh boy. STDs are not more common nowadays then they used to be in the past, say, until 1900. In fact, they are a lot less common than they used to be. Syphilis, Gonorrhea etc. were once a plague killing or maiming millions, nowadays they are freak incidents thanks to much improved hygiene, medical treatments and the widespread use of condoms (at least in countries which don't bullshit youths about "abstinence only" and tell them how to protect themselves).

AIDS is pretty much a non-issue in Western societies with just a couple of thousands dying each year. This is because of the widespread use of condoms and not because we're so gloriously monogamous (hint: we're not, never were when it comes to sexuality). People in Africa on the other hand are often so incredibly uneducated that they don't even know how aids is transimitted, let alone know how to protect themselves.

Oh boy, you sure are excitable. Syphilis and gonorrhea were more deadly in the past because we did not have any antibiotic treatment for them. No they did not kill millions that was the black plague. As I said before most sexually transmitted diseases were from them highly reputed brothels in the past where people did not realize the STDs were being transmitted. No question fringe masses of losers and some married people caught these viruses from that means, but does that make the acts right? No. This is not to say that humans always held monogamy to heart. AIDS can be looked at in the same light all you really have to do to prevent a higher risk is not be promiscuous. They had no cures for these STDs in the past and they have no cure for AIDS today. So what should people do? Well I did not deny that to be promiscuous was not human nature at all. Rather I did prescribe that we ought to take sex more seriously and not be so promiscuous. Humans have the ability to override their nature in most cases so we ought to try to not be promiscuous and take monogamy a bit more seriously rather then insisting that being promiscuous is perfectly acceptable when indeed we know that it puts you in a higher risk group. The best way to protect yourself is to not be promiscuous, why do you have such a problem with that notion?

L233 said:
Sabastian said:
You know how to avoid getting AIDS 100%? Stay with the one your with.

That's pretty darn obvious. I still fail to see what this has got do with religion. Plus, you can't be sure that your spouse will not fuck your neighbour or the post man.

I fail to see why you insist that I am arguing that it is religious. I contended that it was religion that took up the cause of monogamy after the fact. WRT my wife fucking around, you are so right particularly with a highly sexualized environment that is nourished by the fact that if she does mess around it is likely she would not get pregnant and I myself would likely never know the better, unless she brought a STD home to me. Anyhow, no fucking shit asshole.

L233 said:
Sabastian said:
Yes sure people have been screwing around to a degree but nothing like we are seeing today ever.

You simply taking a hunch here. Nothing to back that assertion up. It's probably just some good-old-times nostalgia. Just because people didn't talk about it openly a few decades ago does not mean it did not happen.

You assume that people were more open to the idea of promiscuity even in light of the fact that it would cause pregnancy without contraceptives. You also assume that people thought it was ok and maybe even good. You assume that because today you enjoy sex with no repercussions (except the likelihood of STDs) that everyone in the past felt the same way. Nothing could be further from the truth. In general sex was widely regarded as something that one did within a lifelong relationship. This is not some secret of the past, or some religious dogma, its common fucking sense.

Back