Does anyone know vertex processing instruction set of R300?

Zephyr

Newcomer
A presentation from nVidia "CineFX Architecture" claims: R300 only has "max instructions: 1024" and "max loops: 4", and does not have call and return instructions. I suspect it.

Someone claims that R300 has 32 temporay registers in VPE. I suspect it too.

Anyone can tell me whether i am right or not and the whole vertex processing instruction set of R300?

BTW, anyone can tell me when ATi will publish its OpenGL 1.4 ICD and specifications?

Thx

Re: Does anyone know vertex processing instruction set of R3

Zephyr said:
A presentation from nVidia "CineFX Architecture" claims: R300 only has "max instructions: 1024" and "max loops: 4", and does not have call and return instructions. I suspect it.
You suspect what? That nvidia is correct? Dave Baumann covered much of this in his Radeon 9700 review.

Re: Does anyone know vertex processing instruction set of R3

OpenGL guy said:
Zephyr said:
You suspect what? That nvidia is correct? Dave Baumann covered much of this in his Radeon 9700 review.

I know Dave's caculation, and want to be verified. Besides, I am curious about ATi's 32 temporal registers and DX9VS2.0's 1024 Instructions, because I read this in ATi's own R300 whitepaper:

Type--------name--------count
Temporary--r[n]---------12 read/write vectors

and it seems DX9VS2.0(Beta 2) does not limit instruction number, albeit it doesnot support nested loops and nested subroutines.

I know Dave's caculation, and want to be verified.

Well, that wasn't my calculation, so you can consider it to be verified. :)

Many of the specs ATI put in their initial documentation were DX9 limiations at that time, which is why you see a difference in what has been reported in my (and others?) reviews and what was initially showed from the ATI previews. You'll actually note that these specifications were from a document by ATI called 'DirectX9'. These were probably right as at the time of writing and there is now a difference with DX9 spec because Beta2 was not available at that period. I think I've seen a couple of time the ATI guys saying they weren't sure exactly what they will expose once DX9 actually becomes available - they may up it more to the limits of what the hardware can do.

Back