Do exclusive developers push visuals more than AAA developers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
you can directly counter that advantage (all other things being equal) with a larger budget/development team

Almost impossible, it's like creating two separate exclusive games instead. And in most cases even art assets will be different (because of different trade-offs at the render-time).

Almost impossible, it's like creating two separate exclusive games instead. And in most cases even art assets will be different (because of different trade-offs at the render-time).

So you're saying it would be impossible to port The Order, UC3, DriveClub, Last light etc... to the XBO at a lower resolution without more or less building them from scratch?

And what about XBO exclusives to the PS4? Would a Halo 5 port to the PS4 be impossible without a ground up rebuild on the scale of the original games development? Or what about porting Ryse to the PC... was the effort put into that port equivalent to the original games budget?

So you're saying it would be impossible to port The Order, UC3, DriveClub, Last light etc... to the XBO at a lower resolution without more or less building them from scratch?

I would say that a lot things would need to be rebuilt, maybe not from scratch but close to that.
On the other hand, Last Light - maybe not, they have developed Second Son in a very straightforward manner.

And what about XBO exclusives to the PS4?

Halo5 - probably hard to do.
Ryse - probably easy, Crytek are PC-developers, they use PC-style a lot and from console-as-a-PC perspective XOne and PS4 are almost the same thing.

I'm sorry but it's absolutely ludicrous to claim that Dice hasn't improved Frostbite simply because the resolution and frame rate of each of it's subsequent games hasn't changed.

The graphics difference between BF4 and Battlefront is significant. The fact that Dice chose to leave the resolution and the frame rate the same is a pure design choice and has no baring whatsoever on their technical capability compared to Sucker Punch.

And yet it performs worse now than how Battlefield 4 performed almost two years ago having bigger maps and more players on the map.

October 2013
July 2015

And what's funny? Frostbite 3 actually runs better in comparable hardware on PC with Dx11.x than on consoles. I will not blame Dice because frankly i don't know if they are to blame for this but shipping a 720p title in 2015 on current gen consoles is embarrassing imo, and users (you know, the guys who pay for all this stuff in the end) seem to agree. Obviously from now till November we have a 4 month span, the final code will obviously improve on this, considering the previous titles released on that engine i wouldn't expect too much though. I'll be happy to be proven wrong on this.

And yet it performs worse now than how Battlefield 4 performed almost two years ago having bigger maps and more players on the map.

And vastly inferior graphics! I'm sorry but you're comparing a released game to an unrealeased game with much better graphics on a performance only basis and somehow drawing conclusions about the teams technical prowess based on that. It's ridiculous!

And what's funny? Frostbite 3 actually runs better in comparable hardware on PC with Dx11.x than on consoles. I will not blame Dice because frankly i don't know if they are to blame for this but shipping a 720p title in 2015 on current gen consoles is embarrassing imo.

Why? I know you and anyone else carrying the flag for exclusive games will disagree with this but Battlefront looks spectacular. Head and shoulders better than anything that's been released to date with the same gameplay style and frankly IMO, the best graphics of E3 with the possible exception of Ghost Recon or Need for Speed (same engine). The fact that state of the art, class leading graphics can run at 60fps at all on an ancient 7790 level GPU is a minor miracle IMO. And if it takes 720p to get it there then I'm more than happy to accept that.

and users (you know, the guys who pay for all this stuff in the end) seem to agree.

Do they? I haven't seen many other people complaining about the graphics in Battlefront. Why don't we just wait for the sales figures before jumping to conclusions.

Why don't we just wait for the sales figures before jumping to conclusions.
Sadly that won't be usable evidence. The reasons for buying or not buying a game aren't solely graphics. It might sell gangbusters on account of its gameplay, or sell squat if it turns out to be a bit crap. Or may just sell millions simply on the name of Star Wars.

There are no clear, meaningful comparison points to support any arguments in this conversation, and it's turned pretty stupid as a result. About the only thing apparent here is most folk who've expressed an opinion believe it's the business case for 1st parties that gives them an advantage (if they have one).

And what about XBO exclusives to the PS4? Would a Halo 5 port to the PS4 be impossible without a ground up rebuild on the scale of the original games development? Or what about porting Ryse to the PC... was the effort put into that port equivalent to the original games budget?
Infamous uses 80MB framebuffer.

Of course porting from xbone to PS4 is easier because PS4 does not have ESRAM size limit. + more powerful hardware.

And vastly inferior graphics! I'm sorry but you're comparing a released game to an unrealeased game with much better graphics on a performance only basis and somehow drawing conclusions about the teams technical prowess based on that. It's ridiculous!

Why? I know you and anyone else carrying the flag for exclusive games will disagree with this but Battlefront looks spectacular. Head and shoulders better than anything that's been released to date with the same gameplay style and frankly IMO, the best graphics of E3 with the possible exception of Ghost Recon or Need for Speed (same engine). The fact that state of the art, class leading graphics can run at 60fps at all on an ancient 7790 level GPU is a minor miracle IMO. And if it takes 720p to get it there then I'm more than happy to accept that.

Do they? I haven't seen many other people complaining about the graphics in Battlefront. Why don't we just wait for the sales figures before jumping to conclusions.
SWBF's graphics are inconsistent, the snow level looked down right average, besides it's not even consistent 60fps on the PS4 from DF's analysis. UC4, Horizon, KZSF, Batman, TW3 on PS4, Ryse, Tomb Raider, on Xbone all looked more impressive than the 900p PS4 version of SWBF.

There are no clear, meaningful comparison points to support any arguments in this conversation, and it's turned pretty stupid as a result. About the only thing apparent here is most folk who've expressed an opinion believe it's the business case for 1st parties that gives them an advantage (if they have one).

Yep.

Probably the coolest thing about EDIT: exclusive (/oops!) developers is that they sometimes have wiggle room to try game types and visual styles that wouldn't get the ahead from major multiplaform pubs, while still being backed up by "much bigger than indie" budgets.

Little Big Planet, for example, and going back in history a little, even something like Shenmue.

Infamous uses 80MB framebuffer.

Of course porting from xbone to PS4 is easier because PS4 does not have ESRAM size limit. + more powerful hardware.

Agree with your conclusion, but it's worth noting that at 900p, that 80 MB buffer would only be 56 MB, so most of that would go in the esram and that's where you'd put your heaviest BW use buffers. There may be ways to easily combine buffers, reduce range, move particles to compute etc that would reduce buffer size or BW further in a way that wouldn't have been worthwhile on PS4 too.

The story for this gen is more or less that the Xbox One is the 900ps4.

Last edited:
SWBF's graphics are inconsistent, the snow level looked down right average, besides it's not even consistent 60fps on the PS4 from DF's analysis. UC4, Horizon, KZSF, Batman, TW3 on PS4, Ryse, Tomb Raider, on Xbone all looked more impressive than the 900p PS4 version of SWBF.

Thanks for your opinion.

Agree with your conclusion, but it's worth noting that at 900p, that 80 MB buffer would only be 56 MB, so most of that would go in the esram and that's where you'd put your heaviest BW use buffers. There may be ways to easily combine buffers, reduce range, move particles to compute etc that would reduce buffer size or BW further in a way that wouldn't have been worthwhile on PS4 too.

The story for this gen is more or less that the Xbox One is the 900ps4.
It'd be interesting to know MGS Ground Zeroes FB size. It was 720p on xb and 1080p + additional effects on PS4.

They have Physical based rendering in Frosbite 3 if I remember well it was not in BF4 . After I was not impressed by the PS4 footage of Hoth. But It is a compromise because the map are big and 40 player at 60 fps it is a bit too much for a PS4. The PC version is gorgeous and one of the best looking game. For framerate it will probably improve in the final version;

All the best looking console games are 30 fps...

Last edited:
More to my point of the OT:

Just Cause 3 just released some footage that has all the physics (2:19) that UC4 has in it, open world and it's multiplatform..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back