DivX coming to PS3

? Sony's location free players don't have much capacity? I can buy a 1 TB portable USB2 drive and that sure seems like enough for DVR.
It might work with USB drives, but it is not a very neat solution and I was thinking about the Cell based homeservers that were frequently mentioned a couple of years ago.

I would really like to see DVR on PS3 but where would the cable card go?
I guess the card goes into the little box.
http://www.hdtvinfo.eu/news/game-consoles/playtv-for-the-ps3-features-2-1080p-tuners.html

Is it possible to access SMB shares (without transcoding)?

No. The PS3 doesn't support any form of SMB (unless you run linux on it) so a DLNA media service on the server is the only way to stream to it. Lots of free ones out there though.

Not from Game OS, but you can use DLNA instead (no transcoding needed).

Thanks, I assumed DLNA was referenced because of transcoding as I don't see how divx support means xvid without transcoding.

Xvid forked from divx long time ago.

Thanks, I assumed DLNA was referenced because of transcoding as I don't see how divx support means xvid without transcoding.

From what i have read it's not the codecs that is the problem but the container. i've succefully demuxed an xvid/avi and muxed in to a mpeg4/xvid with ps3video9 and it worked.

So support for the avi container would be great.

Supposedly xvid files will work on a divx-certified player if the files don't use some optional xvid only stuff.

Oh... I was referring to using DLNA as a SMB substitute for browsing a media repository. DLNA does not mandate transcoding.

If transcoding is indeed needed, then DLNA is the only option. I also believe what Titanio said is correct. The difference is in the container. If Xvid specific flags/extensions are not used, then the files should be compatible.

The only glaring hole so far is searching for media (instead of browsing).

I like the idea of allowing DivX files, just got one question on the subject though. Would this mean that devs are open to use DivX encoded cutscenes and stuff? I remember the cutscenes in Enter the Matrix... besides the horrible game play those cutscenes made me shiver, and not in a good way. Perhaps not the only game i've played using it, but the only one i can recall expressly using it.

I like the idea of allowing DivX files, just got one question on the subject though. Would this mean that devs are open to use DivX encoded cutscenes and stuff? I remember the cutscenes in Enter the Matrix... besides the horrible game play those cutscenes made me shiver, and not in a good way. Perhaps not the only game i've played using it, but the only one i can recall expressly using it.

They are. In fact, we heard it's in the SDK 2.0 that was released to developers already.

There's little wrong with DivX for encoded cutscenes - it's all about the bitrates and resolution. For all games that ship on DVD there are going to be tradeoffs, and the software that's currently being used for this thing on that format I think I'll gladly see traded in for DivX for that matter.

Is there really any advantage to DivX? I was under the impression that H264/MPEG-4 and VC-1 were already available on the PS3 and Xbox 360 respectively.

A lot of files are already encoded in DivX. It would be nice to be able to play the media files you already have.

Divx (assuming that includes Xvid) is probably the most commonly used codec for videos so it is nice that the PS3 will support it. the PS3 does support MPEG4/H.264 AVC, however only in an .mp4 container. i really hope they add support for the .mkv container as that is more commonly used than .mp4.

I should clarify that my comment about DivX being an advantage was with regards to games, not other media. I'm not clear why some people are excited that games can now use it, as I believe they could use AVC before.

Divx (assuming that includes Xvid) is probably the most commonly used codec for videos so it is nice that the PS3 will support it. the PS3 does support MPEG4/H.264 AVC, however only in an .mp4 container. i really hope they add support for the .mkv container as that is more commonly used than .mp4.
Can I ask where it's used? I'm not into encoding shenanigans, but in my limited experience of web surfing, vids are always Quicktime, WMV, or Flash. People ripping stuff to Media PCs etc use WMV, no? Have the masseas chosen DivX over WMV when ripping their libraries, or what?

Back