DivX coming to PS3

Titanio

Legend
Good news, long hoped for..

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock News/817096/

DivX Technology to be Added to PLAYSTATION(R)3
Tuesday, November 13, 2007; Posted: 08:00 AM

TOKYO & SAN DIEGO, Nov 13, 2007 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- DIVX | charts | news | PowerRating -- DivX, Inc. (NASDAQ:DIVX) today announced that DivX(R) video technology will be integrated into PLAYSTATION(R)3 (PS3(TM)) from Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE). The popular computer entertainment system will be added to the ecosystem of devices that currently support DivX video playback. To date, over 100 million DivX Certified(R) products have been shipped into the market, and it is anticipated PS3 will significantly expand that number.

"We are excited to work with Sony Computer Entertainment to bring DivX to PS3," said Kevin Hell, CEO of DivX, Inc. "Our technology will expand the multimedia functionality of PS3 by enabling users to enjoy access to the broad library of content in the DivX digital media format."

Products that bear the DivX Certified logo have undergone a rigorous testing program to ensure a high-quality DivX media experience that includes reliable video playback and excellent visual quality. DivX is currently working to certify PS3 and deliver a superior digital media technology to consumers in the near future. Current PS3 end users will be able to add DivX functionality to their systems via a separate system software update at a forthcoming date. PS3 game title developers will be able to utilize DivX's decoder technology by updating the system software of PS3's Software Development Kit to version 2.00, which was released by SCE on November 2nd.

To learn about DivX technology, please visit www.divx.com.

This would explain why you can see avi files now on your media servers, but cannot play them.

mkv next please Sony.

Ooh, it's coming fast then too, if game developers already have support for it in the SDK 2.0!

Willing to bet that the 360 won't be far behind then either

I guess I don't have to buy twonkymedia server anymore :)

Is Divx providing a media server software or just licensing? If it's just licensing then you would still need WMP11, Tversity, Twonky, etc. to serve the PS3 your media.

so next update we get divx support. I wonder if we'll also get HOME beta. Doesn't HOME need divx for some of its features?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Divx providing a media server software or just licensing? If it's just licensing then you would still need WMP11, Tversity, Twonky, etc. to serve the PS3 your media.

Assuming you want to keep your media on your PC ;) If you move your media to your PS3 locally or to storage attached to it, you wouldn't need media server software on your PC.

I don't need transcoding now - that means any old media server like mediatomb or whatever. I was about to spring for twonky...

Where on earth did you get that idea from..?

He probably saw that video showing a video being played back on a Home screen, with a DivX logo in the corner.

Home doesn't need DivX, but DivX stuff will be playable and shareable in Home now I guess, like any other media type on PS3.

I don't think this gives any indication as to when the Home beta might be opened though.

Assuming you want to keep your media on your PC ;) If you move your media to your PS3 locally or to storage attached to it, you wouldn't need media server software on your PC.

This begs the question when will Sony present their home server capable of more storage than the present PS3?

The upcoming dvr functionality would also be better served by more storage than what a portable harddrive is capable of. PlayTV is expected to show up in January in Europe.

This begs the question when will Sony present their home server capable of more storage than the present PS3?

The upcoming dvr functionality would also be better served by more storage than what a portable harddrive is capable of. PlayTV is expected to show up in January in Europe.

? Sony's location free players don't have much capacity? I can buy a 1 TB portable USB2 drive and that sure seems like enough for DVR.

I would really like to see DVR on PS3 but where would the cable card go?

He probably saw that video showing a video being played back on a Home screen, with a DivX logo in the corner.

Home doesn't need DivX, but DivX stuff will be playable and shareable in Home now I guess, like any other media type on PS3.

I don't think this gives any indication as to when the Home beta might be opened though.

That was it. *crosses finger for matroska support.

Back