DivX coming to PS3

I believe that DivX certified means it needs to support divx container in addition to supporting the codec. Where as MS is only with regard to the codec, but not the container.

DivX's container (file extension divx) allows additional features such as menus, subtitles, etc.

lets face it... a lot of people download illegal movies. therefore, many PS3 owners have a lot of illegal movies. and what codec is mostly used? Divx/Xvid.... its not just some PR announcement making it sound like a big deal... it is a big deal to a lot of ps3 owners.

lets face it... a lot of people download illegal movies. therefore, many PS3 owners have a lot of illegal movies. and what codec is mostly used? Divx/Xvid.... its not just some PR announcement making it sound like a big deal... it is a big deal to a lot of ps3 owners.
We all understand this, I was questioning the importance of it being positioned as an in-game feature. The only advantage of DivX/XViD, in my eyes, is to help people who pirate. Which is probably why it took so long to get added.

PR announcement…
I don't think Divx HD give a better compression and quality than H.264…
The only advantages I see, are put a Divx-Certified on the Box, and use divx for the PlayTv to record TV (don't know if Divx HD is less intensive than H.264 for a direct recording on a PS3… Have we got some info on this from the Linux Side).

The IBM comp had some h264 numbers. 62FPS using main profile at 1920x1080. No reason to use anything but H264 if recording tv on PS3.

If you want background recording, you'll want to limit your processing requirements to what the single OS reserved SPE can handle I suppose, with room to spare.

If you want background recording, you'll want to limit your processing requirements to what the single OS reserved SPE can handle I suppose, with room to spare.
Depending on what features you enable or disable, you can get AVC-Encoding just as fast as the old codecs.

And regarding "DivX's container": its an AVI (with some custom crap added) - rename the file to *.avi and most players (supporting MPeg4-ASP Codec) should have no trouble playing it back. Really theres nothing desireable in beeing "Divx-Certified", apart from beeing able to use it for PR.

Nope. It was official two days ago :)

darn!

i'm 2 days late :(

oh yeah it does work!!!

there were a few corrupt files that didn't play but the rest played fine!

now i don't know what to do with my dvd player that plays divx.

I heard the 360 plays divx now too... i have to look into it since i haven't touched my 360 in a few months now :/

So... Any word on a DIVX transcoder for PS3? You know, an application that would run on PS3 and take advantage of Cell to transcode media to DIVX format? It could be from MPEG2->DIVX for all I care, although DVD/Blu-ray->DIVX would be awesome as well ;)

It works terrificly! The IQ is at least as good as running directly from my PC, and streaming from my wireless Vista laptop is smoother than to my desktop XP rig. It plays DivX, XviD, WMV, and even movies with AC3 audio (which I thought it would get hung up on). I still haven't even been able to get my X360 to work as a media extender for my Vista Home Premium laptop, so I can't throw any comparisons (except to say that my 360 sucks for not letting me use it as an extender).

**EDIT**

Nevermind, it was the frakkin' transcoder that I'd turned off that apparently zombified itself back from the dead and screwed up all my video.

Only found one that won't work.. says "unsupported media". It's a much older encode than most of what I have, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back