DirexctX9 makes DVI video black and white

akhan75

Newcomer
I am connecting my HTPC to my Sony KDS60A2000 though a DVI-HDMI cable.
The picture looked great at 1080p, until I updated to DirectX 9. Now, any video file I play from my hard-drive is back and white !!

If I play a DVD throught the DVD drive, the picture is fine. Its only when I play video (no matter what the format , or the media-player), the video is back and white.

I know it is directX 9 that did this, because I rolled back using System Resotre, and everything was fine again.

I'm sure this is some copy-proctection crap.
Any ideas on how to fix this ??
I don't really want to switch to component or VGA. The picture quality is best with DVI-HDMI.

Thanx

No DRM in the DX9 install AFAIK.

I have 3 PC's here all running DX9 through DVI with no issues.

I am using an older graphics card, nVidia Ti 4200, with latest drivers. Which graphics card are you using ? Are you'r PC's connected to an HDTV ?

thanx ..

What driver are you using?

It could be a conflict between Direct X 9 and your drivers + card, seeing as how your card is older there might some weird compatibility issue.

I am using the latest nVidia drivers.

After reading the replies here, I connected my gaming-PC which has an ATI X800 card, to my HDTV through the DVI-HDMI cable. This time it was even worst. If tired playing any video, the media player screen was black. Absolutely no video !

Then I connected an LCD monitor using VGA cable, running the PC in dual-monitor mode. The video showed up fine on the LCD minitor, but was all back in the HDTV. I can't even play DVD's !
I am surprised that no one has heard of this before.

I took some pictures. I will post them here when I get home.

You may just have to fiddle around in the control panel for overlay mode or some such to get the video files to display correctly with the X800 since monitors and TVs handle the signals differently. Since the Geforce 4 does not have HDCP, it's certainly possible nothing (or something weird) is going to be displayed due to the TV looking for an HDCP signal.

hm... how about rolling back your drivers for the Geforce?

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure your control panel doesn't have a saturation/color setting somewhere that you've got set to minimum.

Back