DirectX Ray-Tracing [DXR]

Can developers just use intersection shaders to test against curve primitives?

Yes but it would be quite slower than hardware accelerated triangle intersection.

Apparently, Nvidia HW implements motion blurred AABBs to support per-query customizable search radii for arbitrary primitives described in this patent ...

Vendors would likely have to implement HW support for ray traced moving geometry in the acceleration structure first but I'm not sure if other vendors would recognize the merit of ray traced motion blur effects for extending curved primitives ...

Interesting patent. It seems to leverage box intersection hardware though which we already know is possible for non-triangle geometry. I was referring to hardware accelerated curve primitive intersection.

Interesting patent. It seems to leverage box intersection hardware though which we already know is possible for non-triangle geometry. I was referring to hardware accelerated curve primitive intersection.
Yes but you'd have to use intersection shaders to emulate motion blurred AABB since most hardware don't support AABB interpolation which kills the benefits of hardware ray tracing and motion blurred AABBs also features some advantages in terms of culling performance for instances with a fixed topology and linear motion ...

Yes but you'd have to use intersection shaders to emulate motion blurred AABB since most hardware don't support AABB interpolation which kills the benefits of hardware ray tracing and motion blurred AABBs also features some advantages in terms of culling performance for instances with a fixed topology and linear motion ...

I’m not following. What does motion blur have to do with curve intersection hardware?

sry for the off-topic, but found this game today and I couldn't help mentioning it. The game is Direct X Release 2, a shmup for the Sharp X68000 -a japanese machine- released many years ago.

Who knows, maybe the creator of DirectX took inspiration in the name of this game.

Back