DirectX crashed somehow and then DX games won't work

Xpuntar

Newcomer
I have really strange error. I don't know how and when but DirectX on my PC can "crash" even when no game or any other DX application is running. Even screensaver I am using doesn't utilize DX.

It is very strange because DX games otherwise works before this mysterious crash, after that DX games reports either that they cannot initialize directX device (as if DirectX is not installed) or more usual system error: [application] has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Someone also told me, that can happen if DX application is terminated in unusual way (by killing the process in Task Manager or if DX application hangs or crashes). I have no clue what is happening. There is no indication of any DX application running in the background with Task Manager

And there is another situation with that. When DX games works, Windows Media Player is unable to play subtitles (through DirectVobSub) with any Divx, Xvid movies and reports an error with quartz.dll. When DX (games) don't work WMP can play these subtitles with DirectVobSub.

And with DX "disabled" I can't even watch TV with TV tuner. CPU utilizations in full screen mode is almost 100%. With DX working CPU (and GPU) can handle TV signal under 10%. in full screen.

The only thing that helps is restart. After that everything works as it should. Until error happens again.

I am using XP-M 3200+, 1GB ram (200 MHz DDR), 6800GT with 81.98, Abit NF-7 v2.0 with latest forceware drivers.

I suggest reinstalling directX, reinstalling the nvidia drivers, whatever, if it fails, do an install of windows over the current one (doesn't kill your apps, desktop and settings). If it does not change things, or even make it worse (yay it happened to me that instead of fixing broken stuff, it added another quirk :)), reformat and reinstall windoze.

Try disabling the directdraw/direct3d/agp in the DirectX Diagnostics screen.. and then reenable it. See if that helps..

To load DirectX Diagnostics, goto Start -> Run and type in "dxdiag" w/o the quotes. There is a display tab you want to click on.

Back