Digitimes Flip-flops on Console HD drives

Geo

Mostly Harmless
Legend
http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20060822A8045.html

Taiwan-based game developers think blue-laser support for games is key for the Xbox 360 to be competitive with the Sony PlayStation 3 (PS3) which will have a built-in Blu-ray Disc (BD) drive, the sources pointed out. These developers are disappointed that the external drive will not support games and feel unwelcomed by the HD-DVD interest group, the sources indicated.

Yet less than 10 days ago (and unfortunately I can't link it anymore, as it has moved to "member only"), we had an article at Digitimes EXACTLY OPPOSITE: "Taiwan game industry favors Microsoft's adoption of external HD-DVD drives for Xbox 360"

Can I bitch-slap Digitimes in here for pulling an Inq? Or is that against forum rules? (Yeah, I know, "if you don't know, geo. . .")

If they want a consumer based impacted by a $600 console and to castrate the 5M current users, then sure! It is the key! :LOL:

Seriously, the Xbox 360 is what it is. It is a game deployment platform like any other console. Warts and all. If your media exceeds the DVD9s you can either span DVDs, require the HDD as a cache where spanning won't work, reduce the quality of FMV or completely remove it and use in-game cut scenes, and/or reduce the quality of your art assets.

There are pros and cons of HD media formats, and it will obviously be a benefit to certain games and genres. But there are expense issues as well as implimentation issues (e.g. the BluRay in the PS3 is slow enough that a HDD for caching seems almost necessary, hence all SKUs of the PS3 have a HDD standard, increasing cost). Ultimately the goal is to get the best technology into more consumers' hands to you have the biggest market for publishers to sell to. This means you have to be cautious with your gambles. The good news is that if you are a publisher and think that HD media is absolutely necessary for success you have the PS3. That is the nice thing about having 3 players in the market -- choose the platform that best meets your vision.

I popped this in the last thread. What's changed between now and then is that MS has come out and said the drive can't be used for games, this seems to be a response to that. It's also possible they spoke to different developers each time ;) If they are the same developers, well, I'm not sure what they want :p An optional add-on useable for games?

An optional add-on useable for games?

Is a terrible idea!

The only way I could see that working is for

1/ Games that span multiple DVDs and they offer a HD DVD version on 1 disk
2/ "HD Version" with a lot of HD cut scenes instead of standard resolution
3/ Combo disks that have a HD DVD version with added developer content (interviews, etc) and/or HD cut scenes; of course "extras" are easily placed on a 2nd DVD anyhow, sooo...

Peter Moore, as a former Sega guy, should be pretty vocal on the "do not require addons!" It may work for small niché games like EyeToy, but requiring a $200 addon for gaming that barely improves the experience (see: cut asset/movie quality) on a $400 console... bad, bad idea. MS needs focus onm this issue and some sanity...

Well, I read the previous article at the time, and commented on it in IRC roughly as "That's like saying 'More Dentists recommend plaid pants!' Why are they appealing to irrelevant authority? ". The previous article was clear that they knew it was a movie-thing, not a game-thing.

The first article really did sniff like an MS-plant to me at the time, and this one like Sony read it too and shot a rocket up their devs to respond. :LOL:

Which I suppose I don't hold MS and Sony all that responsible for, as they are doing their thing.

Digitimes, on the other hand. . . :rolleyes:

Yet less than 10 days ago (and unfortunately I can't link it anymore, as it has moved to "member only"), we had an article at Digitimes EXACTLY OPPOSITE: "Taiwan game industry favors Microsoft's adoption of external HD-DVD drives for Xbox 360"
This one?

Yep, that's it. Hmm, it doesn't specifically say it isn't for games after all. But c'mon, it's an optional unit and they are talking to game devs --it's a surprise to game devs that it won't be used for games? I mean, isn't that "intuitively obvious to the most casual observer", let alone insiders like game devs?

Yep, that's it. Hmm, it doesn't specifically say it isn't for games after all. But c'mon, it's an optional unit and they are talking to game devs --it's a surprise to game devs that it won't be used for games? I mean, isn't that "intuitively obvious to the most casual observer", let alone insiders like game devs?
It's hardly news that the drive isn't supposed to be used for games. This piece is from January for crying out loud.
The whole thing just doesn't make any sense.

Is a terrible idea!

The only way I could see that working is for

1/ Games that span multiple DVDs and they offer a HD DVD version on 1 disk
2/ "HD Version" with a lot of HD cut scenes instead of standard resolution
3/ Combo disks that have a HD DVD version with added developer content (interviews, etc) and/or HD cut scenes; of course "extras" are easily placed on a 2nd DVD anyhow, sooo...

Peter Moore, as a former Sega guy, should be pretty vocal on the "do not require addons!" It may work for small niché games like EyeToy, but requiring a $200 addon for gaming that barely improves the experience (see: cut asset/movie quality) on a $400 console... bad, bad idea. MS needs focus onm this issue and some sanity...

Just to throw it out there..IF MS is serious about HD-DVD, then why not release a hybrid HD-DVD/DVD games (so those that want that add on and those that don't can play X360 games). Let MS eat the cost and grow their HD-DVD audience?

Just to throw it out there..IF MS is serious about HD-DVD, then why not release a hybrid HD-DVD/DVD games (so those that want that add on and those that don't can play X360 games). Let MS eat the cost and grow their HD-DVD audience?
What makes you think this is a battle MS wants to fight? They eat the cost... but why? MS stands to lose millions of dollars with little to no gain from such a decision.

What makes you think this is a battle MS wants to fight? They eat the cost... but why? MS stands to lose millions of dollars with little to no gain from such a decision.

IS it their battle (MS)? And if not whats the stragety for the HD space?

They eat the cost to compete or prolong the marketing war for the HD space. They've done it before and possibly for VC-1 standard.

They eat the cost to compete or prolong the marketing war for the HD space. They've done it before and possibly for VC-1 standard.
I think you're confusing topics. MS wants the next-gen disc war to go on until it doesn't affect consoles. But how much do they care? Well, if they really cared about it, wouldn't we see a far more dedicated push from them? So far, we've only seen low cost/high profile initiatives from MS. Hence, it's obvious that they don't think the subject is a make or break deal, but they do want some insurance. They just want to prolong the issue till the 360 has enough momentum that publishers will continue supporting the 360 regardless of how HD-DVD or Blu-Ray does.

Your suggestion moves out of that realm entirely. MS would only do that if HD-DVD was important to the company. But it's really not. Xbox 360 success is FAR more important to MS than HD-DVD success.

I think you're confusing topics. MS wants the next-gen disc war to go on until it doesn't affect consoles. But how much do they care? Well, if they really cared about it, wouldn't we see a far more dedicated push from them? So far, we've only seen low cost/high profile initiatives from MS. Hence, it's obvious that they don't think the subject is a make or break deal, but they do want some insurance. They just want to prolong the issue till the 360 has enough momentum that publishers will continue supporting the 360 regardless of how HD-DVD or Blu-Ray does.

Your suggestion moves out of that realm entirely. MS would only do that if HD-DVD was important to the company. But it's really not. Xbox 360 success is FAR more important to MS than HD-DVD success.

The consoles will effect (to what degree?) the next-gen HD disc war and the next-gen HD disc will effect (possibly to a greater degree?) the consoles. And the question about careing is an interesting one because if they are not that interested then a greater push by others may mean a victory and MS losing out on a couple things: feature match with Sony PS3 (blu-ray) and VC-1 becoming a small niche thingy.

And the last point is that X360 is more important than HD-DVD...well if blu-ray become defacto then the PS3 might gain more mometum on the X360 and leave it at a smaller market position. I'm asking the question that should MS care more?

Back