Xbox 360 internal HD-DVD drive shocker?

IF true, I'm not surprised. I always thought that eventually they would release a 360 with the HDDVD already in there, without all that add-on crap to worry about. It will only play movies through it, games will still be on DVD. Better be or that would seriously divide the userbase, which is really something MS shouldn't want to do.

Also, a new SKU with included HDDVD drive would allow MS to put an HDMI port in there which would be sweet.

... Well that would be it really... the point is that it will play HDDVDs without making your X360 look like a Minibot...

ok but whats the point except that it would play hd dvd movies..?
Excepting that, nothing. The point is to not have two drives for a device where one would suit. I also expect the all-in-one to have HDMI, to be a 'proper' HD player. This is the last faint noises of HD media impartiality from MS dying a quiet death. So much for giving users choice unlike the big, bad Sony.

If this is true, do you think Microsoft can resist the temptation of making the internal HD-DVD drive useable for games too.
It would be so easy to do... although the marketplace would be truly divided.

Unless they lied about the external HD-DVD being for movies only.

This is the last faint noises of HD media impartiality from MS dying a quiet death. So much for giving users choice unlike the big, bad Sony.
RobertR1, what would you say about that? ;)

Well, ok. It would only be more choice for the users in form of three SKU's :) (assuming the original, non HD-DVD SKU's were kept available beyond the transition period)

Last edited by a moderator:
that would rape the user base

DVD drive only
DVD + HD only
HDDVD+HD only
HDDVD only

where does it end... :devilish: (dont think the hddvd drive will work on a core xbox360)

If this is true, do you think Microsoft can resist the temptation of making the internal HD-DVD drive useable for games too.
It would be so easy to do... although the marketplace would be truly divided.
Not neccessarily, if HDDVD games are just multi-DVD games on one disc. If there's DVD and HDDVD versions of the same game, with the latter having more content/better quality, that would be bad.
Unless they lied about the external HD-DVD being for movies only.
It may not be a lie, but may be a change of mind. It does happen you know. Once you have a plan, it's okay to change it you you realize it wasn't the best option ;)

Well, ok. It would only be more choice for the users in form of three SKU's :)
IIRC the original comments were MS weren't backing either format and the HDDVD addon was an option to give user s a choice to support a format. The fact they had no intention to offer a BRD addon shows this 'choice' wasn't ever serious, but the inclusion of HDDVD as a standard feature in a SKU shows that MS are definitely anti-BRD and don't want it to exist (as if that wasn't known the moment BRD Java was spec'd...)

Very nice. That was surprising. Great move really. They are will be able to compete against the PS3 more now, as a next gen HD movie player. If its also cheaper by a huge difference Sony would have to do something with the price

But developers shouldnt exploit it in gaming otherwise its gonna piss off early 360 owners who wont be able to play their new games.

Doesn't this rumor popup like every month or so only to get denied by MS?

Though maybe MS just doesn't want gamers to think there is a HDDVD model on the horizon because that may slow sales of the current models.

On the other hand, by the time it actually does come out, most of the target audience for something like this would already have a 360. Can we expect thousands of xbox's to be going up on ebay soon?

Excepting that, nothing. The point is to not have two drives for a device where one would suit. I also expect the all-in-one to have HDMI, to be a 'proper' HD player. This is the last faint noises of HD media impartiality from MS dying a quiet death. So much for giving users choice unlike the big, bad Sony.
Well if it's a different SKU then users will still have a choice.

Probably a decent move eventually. Because eventually HDDVD drives are going to trend down to dirt cheap anyway.

Also the rest of the article states 1st half 2007 at earliest.
________
BUTANE VAPORIZER REVIEW

If its also cheaper by a huge difference Sony would have to do something with the price

It will never be "cheaper by a huge margin" than PS3. Unless MS sell the X360 at the same price and take in the losses, which i'm sure won't happen.

It might be cheaper, and if it is, it will certainly start a proper price war with Sony, which can only be good for us!

I dont see how they can do this anytime soon due to the speed of current gen HD-DVD drives. Any specs i've been able to dig up on HD-DVD drives they read at 8x DVD which would be too slow for a lot of games.

The PS3 is different in this regard because games are designed to leverage the built in HD to supplement slower optical read times whereas the 360 games are not, they rely on a 'fast' DVD drive. If anyone can dig up informaiton on HD-DVD drives where the DVD read speed isnt so slow i'd be interested to see them.

If they do this and they have any brains whatsoever then it should be for movies only. Nothing that has split the user base of a console (unless it was dirt cheap) has succeeded in the past, and Microsoft must know that. The only way I could see it used for games would be to put multi-DVD games on a single disc. That wouldn't damage the market unless the multi-disc version was distinctly inferior.

Can a HD-DVD drive go up to 12x regular DVD yet? If not I don't see this happening...

If it can this will just replace the premium sku I'd guess.

Microsoft has always stated the HDDVD is only for movies.
They've also stated they'll never release a 360 with an internal HDDVD drive, so draw your own conclusions regarding that statement of yours - assuming the rumors discussed in this thread are true... ;)

If it can this will just replace the premium sku I'd guess.
Replacing the Premium would add at least $100 to it's price, and maybe as much as $200. MS would be better off sticking to Core, Premium (HDD+Wireless etc.), and HDDVD (Premium+HDDVD internal). Alternatively just have Core and HDDVD versions but with packs for peripherals. That way users can pick the DVD or more expensive HDDVD versions, and buy packs of HDD and whatnot if they want them, or buy them individually over time.

Back