Digital Foundry Retro Discussion [2016 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
omg!! You made my day. Need for Speed 3 : Hot Pursuit is one of my favourite games ever. I spent countless hours playing it til one day a friend of mine who always played it with me on my PC stole it from me. We are still friends, and I never asked him directly 'cos I am not 100% sure, but I am almost sure it was him, because he loved the game as much as I do and I never lost a game, ever.

Nostalgia gets the best of me when I see this game, I am about to cry. I even managed to hack the files -notepad or wordpad did the trick-,something I found on my own. I converted the F-355 into a car that only weighed 400Kg, it was crazy!! :LOL:

your getting confused hotpursuit 2 was not available for the ps3 or 360, ive no idea what game your talking about
it was p.c, ps2, xbox and gamecube and the pc version defiantly supports playing over a lan and the ps2 version supports splitscreen

Last edited:
@Cyan
If you like NFS 3 you should love Need for Speed 6 - Hot Pursuit 2
I was with Allandor until I read your post. I had the game that came out for the PS3 and X360,I couldn't stand it. It was okay, but it had lost the original fun factor for some reason. I purchased a copy for me and even got a copy for my best friend at the time, a british girl that really liked videogames. She played it and so did I, but I played the game very little compared to the original.

On Need for Speed 6 Hot Pursuit 2, thanks for the suggestion, I am going to check where I can get it. I am currently playing the original in my PC.

Last edited by a moderator:
your getting confused hotpursuit 2 was not available for the ps3 or 360, ive no idea what game your talking about
it was p.c, ps2, xbox and gamecube and the pc version defiantly supports playing over a lan and the ps2 version supports splitscreen
oh my ^^ ... totally forgot that :)
thx for the correction.

Well this was quite good, but as always, the original hot pursuit (1) was better. I Really hope they remaster this one day

oh my ^^ ... totally forgot that :)
thx for the correction.

Well this was quite good, but as always, the original hot pursuit (1) was better. I Really hope they remaster this one day
yes, one of the most influential games I've ever had in my life. It's saddening that my game was stolen, but when someone does that it happens because the game was soooooo good.

Maybe those were simpler times. But the graphics amazed me at the time, they were incredible in my eyes. How? Well, in software mode and non 3D accelerated mode cars looked a bit flat, but if you had a 3D acceleration card the cars showed reflections! I fell in love with that almost immediately.

That effect alone was mesmerising at the time. Not to mention the halos in the rear lights, but the reflections on the cars did it for me. Now I know they weren't real time, but who cared? They looked gorgeous.

yes, one of the most influential games I've ever had in my life. It's saddening that my game was stolen, but when someone does that it happens because the game was soooooo good.

Maybe those were simpler times. But the graphics amazed me at the time, they were incredible in my eyes. How? Well, in software mode and non 3D accelerated mode cars looked a bit flat, but if you had a 3D acceleration card the cars showed reflections! I fell in love with that almost immediately.

That effect alone was mesmerising at the time. Not to mention the halos in the rear lights, but the reflections on the cars did it for me. Now I know they weren't real time, but who cared? They looked gorgeous.
I had that game on PS. I also thought it was so beautiful. Some graphical effects were quite convincing and advanced at that time, and the tracks were so unique... Pure fun (even though I'm not that much into racing games).

the inboard dash view was only available if you had 8mb of texture memory
So no dash on a 8mb voodoo2 you needed the 12mb version

the inboard dash view was only available if you had 8mb of texture memory
So no dash on a 8mb voodoo2 you needed the 12mb version
I had the 8MB version now that you mention it.

I had that game on PS. I also thought it was so beautiful. Some graphical effects were quite convincing and advanced at that time, and the tracks were so unique... Pure fun (even though I'm not that much into racing games).
another thing I liked was the fact that there weren't many cars, and unlocking a car was kind of challenging, just as fun as it was in games like Ridge Racer or F-Zero games.

in addition to certain technologies,there's also the audio. My 1st sound card was the Sound Blaster AWE32, which I bought because of its quality and the MIDI which I immediately fell in love with, MIDI sound using wavetables.

It only had 1MB of samples but it made a lot the difference compared to "traditional" MIDI using FM synthesis or the speaker of your PC.

I couldn't stand it when a game had MIDI music but didn't support the AWE32, but General MIDI on the IRQ 330 port or the Roland Sound Canvas, which I did not have at the time, I felt frustrated when that happened -I got the Roland SD-50, some kind of successor of the Sound Canvas, a few years ago for 400€ instead, and love it to death-.

The sound difference between the 4:04 and 4:40 minutes mark is enormous. And it gets better from there.

I had an awe 64
ps: the awe32 did emulate gm/gs and mt-32 although I cant remember how good they were (it is possible to record a mt-32 and create a soundfont)
pps: there are 1gb soundfonts

I still have an original MT-32 ... :) I also had the awe32 iirc. Emulation wasn't great because samples of a synth vs an actual synth, and then games programming their own sounds were fairly common. The MT-32 was amazing for its time, especially because it was so well supported. Highlights for me were games like the first Dune and Leisure Suit Larry III (which had an amazing soundtrack and was a great game to boot, probably the best in the series)

I am speechless again, the new DF Retro video brings back amazing memories!! The Need for Speed was my first game -along with Microsoft Golf-. I had a PPC back then which I purchased in September 1995 (a Pentium 100 with 32MB of RAM) and felt very fortunate to have at the day.

That game was soooooo good, I couldn't stop playing it. The cars were a pleasure to drive, the tracks were beautifully designed, all of them looked very realistic, very natural, and the traffic just added to the feeling of awareness and the overall fun.

The game had it all. Videos were so professional I was amazed when I watched those FMV videos, it didn't matter how many times they were shown -plus they tended to be short-, and the music accompanying them. Some of those videos are still quite vivid in my memory (a video which ended with a car taking a bend, other showing several skids and stuff).

The menus were very smart, as the author of the video says, and very well presented. When I watched them again in the video is was like "wow,.., I quite remember that!".

It was one of those games that made you feel you had a machine that was at a different level, and very proud to own a capable PC.

I spent countless hours playing it, it was just a pleasure to drive and play, the point to point tracks were my favourite.

The graphics and art style were so great that I loved the autumn valley, the city graphics of the first track by default, the hot air balloons of the coastal track and the long distance drawing of the tracks, the alpine feel of certain track...etc etc

I knew every bed and how to approach them, especially with my favourite cars, the Toyota Supra and the Dodge Viper RT-10, which I always loved as a car I dreamt to have irl ever since --it never happened, but that car was so beautiful in my eyes..

All in all, it is a game that I felt so proud and fortunate to have played. My Pentium 100 and its 32MB of RAM PC at the time handled the game really well. Save for the secret track, which had some extra lights and it was a nocturnal track, where my PC seemed to crawl a little -framerate wise,but playable- the rest of them ran smoothly.

Didn't know the game had a Japanese port. Versions wise, I am with the author of the video, the PC version was superior -save the limited palette of colours-, like a back to the future, and I was pretty happy to experience this game to the max.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back