Digital Foundry Microsoft Xbox Scorpio Reveal [2017: 04-06, 04-11, 04-15, 04-16]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by iroboto, Apr 6, 2017.

1. BadTB25

Veteran

Does this bode well for built in mic in the controller or console since there is no Kinect port but does have HDMI in?

2. Scott_Arm

Legend

Well, PS4 Pro can do double rate fp16. So right now you're comparing an Xbox GPU that's 6 tflops (fp32) to a PS4 Pro gpu that's 4.2 tflops (fp32) or 8.4 tflops (fp16). Obviously a game can't do everything fp16, so I don't know where a real-world game ends up if it's optimizing with fp16 where it can.

3. Scott_Arm

Legend

I remember that it DOES include HDMI in.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-project-scorpio-tech-revealed

4. BadTB25

Veteran

5. Scott_Arm

Legend

Oh, sorry. I misunderstood. I remember reading something a while ago about them working on supporting mic arrays for the Xbox consoles. No idea where I read it, or if there was a timeline.

6. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

Apparently DF was given the chance to look at the chip plan, but sadly wasn't able to share.

They quadrupled the GPU's L2, but increased the number of channels by 50%. Odd math with that.

BRiT likes this.
  7. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Has anybody tried a mic in the controller? You'd need to noise cancel the clicky-clacking of sticks, button presses and vibration of rumble. It's not an impossible task but it wouldn't be my first choice.

#147 DSoup, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  8. Love_In_Rio

Veteran

I am inferring what we know.The article's job should have been to make people know more.

9. RancidLunchmeat

Veteran

No, it's not two questions it's a single question. You are hallucinating a second question that wasn't asked because it was already answered.

Can you take your external HDD that currently has 360 and XB1 games installed on it, unplug it from your current system and plug it into the Scorpio and play those games without the need to download or update the games?

10. shredenvain

Regular

Yeah I remember the fp16 capabilities of the ps4, but there is no hard evidence stating the Scorpio doesn't have the same capabilities. Also I haven't myself seen any instance of a Dev mentioning the use of fp16 in any pro title.

11. bgroovy

Regular Newcomer

It's adorable that Microsoft managed expectations so badly they have to pretend their die-shrunk Jaguar cores constitutes a "custom x86 design". Also their streak of pretending they invented a standard GPU feature continues as they brag about the command processor the way they went on about DMAs (excuse me, DMEs) in 2013. I do have to wonder how upset their balance obsessed technical fellows must be at this design being so much more lopsided than the Xbox One was.

RancidLunchmeat likes this.
  12. Rikimaru

Veteran Newcomer

DICE said 30% improvement in some shader.
    Also DICE has a lot of ideas how to use ID buffer.

shredenvain likes this.
  13. Scott_Arm

Legend

You know what they say about assuming. It makes as sum e ... Maybe I got that wrong.

14. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Mass Effect Andromeda.

ToTTenTranz likes this.
  15. Rikimaru

Veteran Newcomer

Hovis Method - the new cloud power.
    http://www.xbox.com/en-US/project-scorpio - this page is laughable.
    Scorpio Engine
    With 6 Teraflops, 326GB/s Memory Bandwidth and advanced, custom silicon, the Scorpio Engine is most powerful gaming processor ever created.
    Vapor Chamber
    A first for home consoles, Project Scorpio’s Vapor Chamber uses advanced liquid cooling to ensure the Scorpio Engine stays cool.
    Centrifugal Fan
    A supercharger-style Centrifugal Fan rapidly pulls in and compresses air to deliver maximum cooling with minimum noise.
    Hovis Method
    To maximize performance and minimize power consumption, Project Scorpio uses the Hovis Method, a cutting edge digital power delivery system that custom tunes each console’s voltage.
    (aka noise lottery)

16. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular

No FP16 ? No ID Buffer ? No freesync ? renamed upclocked Jaguar ?

Software "cloud 2" features ?

Also, : 2.1ghz / 1.6ghz = 2.3ghz / 1.75ghz

Mantis Burn Racing developers used (notably) fp16 in order to aim native 4K60fps on Pro instead of 1080p60fps on base PS4. And that was done by a relatively small team compared to Dice :

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-hands-on-with-mantis-burn-racing-on-ps4-pro

#156 Globalisateur, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    shredenvain and ToTTenTranz like this.
  17. Scott_Arm

Legend

Nowhere do they claim to have invented the command processor. They just claim to have made some optimizations. Nothing looks particularly out of line here.

Shoujoboy and RootKit like this.
  18. Anarchist4000

Veteran Regular

My take was the latency boost was coming from added L2. Tailoring the CP to DX12 and indirect to reduce CPU load I would think is sufficient.

They also seem to line up with the recent Polaris refresh clocks, while still being a bit conservative for lower power.

AMD demoed packed math on Vega as "digital Rogaine", so I'd imagine the costly physics simulations and particles where accuracy matters less see a nice boost. The particles are what crushed a lot of games on certain scenes. Assuming packed math with Scorpio, it may be Microsoft porting shaders with their verification process. Would definitely make 4k60 easier.

19. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

There were customizations to the DMEs, including I believe there being more of them than was standard.
    The command processor is a necessary part of the GPU, however, if the assumption is that there is a custom microcode package targeting higher-level DX12 functions is true, that is not standard. Microsoft did have certain customizations along those lines for Durango, though I am assuming it's far more extensive for Scorpio.

20. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

isn't FP16 mandatory in recent gpus ? Why would it be absent from Scorpio ?