Digital Foundry Microsoft Xbox Scorpio Reveal [2017: 04-06, 04-11, 04-15, 04-16]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by iroboto, Apr 6, 2017.

1. mosen

Regular

Actually you are inferring what you want based on ... nothing.

2. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I was under the impression that the ID buffer hardware in Pro was the result of Sony's design input. If so, whilst this may filter into future GCN products, wouldn't it have been a bit weird for Sony's work to benefit their immediate console competitor? At least so quickly.

mpg1 and Anarchist4000 like this.
  3. Scott_Arm

Legend

Lol. For one, they never claim that the "Hovis Method" is creating some massive performance boost. In my eyes it's more to make the console sound premium, like every single one of them is individually tuned. I actually know of this being done in other products, but I don't know if it's something that's typically done on cheap electronics.

Scorpio engine description has been updated:
    Without the word console, it makes it sound deceitful. With the word console, then the statement about it being the most powerful console gaming processor is probably true.

I guess this is going to be the new talking point for killjoys?

Here is the entire section on the "hovis method" from the digital foundry piece.
    I'm not seeing any grandiose claims here. They're just talking about using a specific method for voltage tuning in their circuits so they can minimize power consumption which can lead to optimizing performance. Don't see why any of that is particularly out of line.

Edit: Edited my post because Rikimaru had quoted the description from the webpage and it was updated by the time I replied to him.

#163 Scott_Arm, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  4. Love_In_Rio

Veteran

Correct.We have nothing at the moment.The doubt is if there is any.

5. Rikimaru

Veteran Newcomer

I did not edit anything. Copy-paste from page. Means they changed wording later.
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:NMi7hiAi_N4J:www.xbox.com/en-us/project-scorpio&num=1&strip=1&vwsrc=0
    PS4 Pro has double rate FP16. Which means processing 2 FP16 numbers simultaneously.

6. Anarchist4000

Veteran Regular

I did a brief googling and LinkedIn check for a related patent and came up empty. I'm not sure a whole lot of tuning of switching power supplies matters. Luck out and buy a console with 50mV lower voltages that runs cooler? It sounds more like AVFS (adaptive voltage) introduced with Polaris. I'm not sure what else gets tuned for any real benefit if clocks are already being dialed down like that.

7. Scott_Arm

Legend

8. Rangers

Legend

Doesn't seem like any problem at all compared to the crap my Amazon echo (or other voice recognition tech, Siri/Google) have to put up with. Like speaking in a loud driving car, music. or over whooshing fans or whatever else is going on in the real world. Discrete, not loud, clicks and clacks would be easy to deal with by comparison.

RootKit likes this.
  9. mpg1

Veteran Newcomer

I remenber hearing/reading Richard say something about 6 months out...that would put it at about beginning of Oct.

10. dobwal

Legend Veteran

Unless MS is not referring to this Hovis who works at IBM and has patents from regarding improved manufacturing of finfet transistors, I doubt the method is used by cheap devices.

http://patents.justia.com/patent/20050201188

#170 dobwal, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  11. Rangers

Legend

Plus what have we seen from Pro in real world performance? Checkerboards for all basically, you get a checkerboard and you get a checkerboard and you get a checkerboard... Whereas Microsoft is talking explicit native 4K. I think the real world bears it out which GPU is better performance (well, the numbers obviously, the memory bandwidth alone).

That said I really dont think the focus on strict 4K is necessarily good for Scorpio, at least it isn't bound there.

The reveal pretty much was on the low end of possibilities though, in the strict sense of no Zen and possibly no Vega. That said, 2.3 ghz/6 TF's are the important foundation things and they are there.

12. function

function None functional
    Legend Veteran

Fine gained power control across the SoC might allow you to use slightly more power on the GPU and slightly less on the CPU, or vice versa. Put something like that - I'm not sure how many different power planes there are on a huge, complex SoC.

Anyway, you might be able to increase yields while maintaining acceptable range of power in a way you couldn't previously.

Also, more tolerant chips might be able to use simplified or cheapified components on the board. 360 chip revisions often shared boards but with components omitted from the board.

If there cost of tailoring the board to the chip was less than the cost of throwing away good dies, why not do it?

13. mosen

Regular

So you want to infer based on your doubt which is again ... nothing?

14. BadTB25

Veteran

For having "nothing", stating that it is inferior GPU tech to the PSPro is taking a rather big leap don't you think?

15. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Your homework is to think about why the other items you mention which do noise cancellation cost a fair bit more and have their own processing capability.

16. chris1515

Veteran Regular

They spoke about double rate fp16 not fp16 FP16 is into every GCN since GCN version 1.2 at register level

17. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

a couple points.
    this is DF, they never do in one article what they can do in 3, so expect more information to come. They even said so themselves. Whether that's more positive or just bit more detail who knows. They never actually directly mention gpu type, where they did cpu, probably leaving a deeper dive for another article. It's just the way they do it.

i think it was a mistake on ms not providing direct feed of couple games, forza 6, halo/gears at least with 4k assets. I can understand why they may not want to as they are far from the best Scorpio can do, as not optimized for it.
    but it would've still been impressive, especially when you see the gpu & mem usage.
    to me that screenshot looked good.

DF is going to milk this and that's their prerogative, that's the risk ms took. But no media is crazy.

Shoujoboy, mosen, iroboto and 3 others like this.
  18. Rangers

Legend

My Echo dot cost $50 and is routinely on sale for $40. I'm not sure how much processing it does, mostly sends it over the web for a translation sent back I think, as it wont work if you lose internet, and if you use voice recognition on a phone you'll notice a slight delay as it sends your words off for processing. Surely packs some cheap phone SOC.

19. RancidLunchmeat

Veteran

Agreed. The only Forza TestDemo that supposedly took 2 days to build could leave some a bit uneasy.

20. Riddlewire

Regular

What?!?
    No OG Xbox BC???
    FAIL!
    Project Flopio!
    amirite