Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2013]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Delta9's image is from the comparison tool. This shows the three images upscaled to the same size. You can click the excerpts to see the full the image.

http://cfa.eurogamer.net/2013/articles//a/1/6/2/2/4/3/2/1_1080_copy.png
http://cfa.eurogamer.net/2013/articles//a/1/6/2/2/4/3/2/1_900_copy.png
http://cfa.eurogamer.net/2013/articles//a/1/6/2/2/4/3/2/1_720_copy.png

So what Delta9's image shows is native captures upscaled with a cheap, probably trilinear, resample. Nothing like the real experience on a TV versus a 900p/720p render upscaled with a good algorithm on the console prior to output to the TV. For those comparisons, we'll need HDMI captures of the output, which I'm sure we'll get when the machines are out. But before then, DF did an article on what impact 900p really makes, and people can see for themselves it's nothing like as horrendous as Delta9's misrepresentative image suggests.

I don't see why this compare doesn't count,but his earlier one does.The earlier one also showed a difference,but was harder to see because the captures had lot's of motion blur.

in motion? do you think you will resolve that 8-10 feet away at 46 inches?

two foot gaming (on a pc or tablet) is completely different from 10 foot gaming.

I think so. I can clearly make out the difference on a 24" monitor from that distance with the screen shots.

I don't see why this compare doesn't count,but his earlier one does.
What earlier one? If there's another similar comparison, the same limitations apply and that other comparison is just as non-representative of the final user experience.

Nobody so much as suspected RYSE was anything but 1080p prior to us being told otherwise. That's all the argument ya need. Ppl played it literally 2 ft from nice HDTV screens by the hundreds, including DF, and nobody was the wiser. Posting comparisons from other games with totally different approaches to IQ isn't particularly meaningful, much less so zoomed in portions of the frame.

The one that compared Crysis 3. Which one are you talking about?
All of 'em! They all have the same issue - you can't use the upscaled comparisons as an indicator of what the final game experience will be. XB1 rendering any game at 900p or 720p and upscaling to fill your 1080p display will look better than taking a 900p or 720p render, upscaling to 1080p via the simplest upscaler as used in the DF article, and displaying that.

Judging by the amount of flak that sub-1080p games receive here, I guess everything we've played on the PS360 has to be crap.

All of 'em! They all have the same issue - you can't use the upscaled comparisons as an indicator of what the final game experience will be. XB1 rendering any game at 900p or 720p and upscaling to fill your 1080p display will look better than taking a 900p or 720p render, upscaling to 1080p via the simplest upscaler as used in the DF article, and displaying that.

Will have to wait for that.As of now, this is the best we got.

Judging by the amount of flak that sub-1080p games receive here, I guess everything we've played on the PS360 has to be crap.

1080 was out the question for last gen though.I think a better way to judge would be 720 vs the ones below that.

Yes, we don't expect any improvements 7 years later. 1080P is the native resolution for most HD TVs, it would be nice to skip scaling and have a nice 1:1. PC gamers like myself have had it for years. I never play anything in sub-1080P on my PC.

1080P was simply out of reach 7 years ago, but sub-720P got plenty of flak if you recall, as did the Wii for being so low res.

Will have to wait for that.As of now, this is the best we got.

1080 was out the question for last gen though.I think a better way to judge would be 720 vs the ones below that.

The best we got is horribly represented. I'm sorry, but anyone here thinking that that scene actually rendered out in 720P or 900P would look like that 'arbitrated' junk really shouldn't be here discussing graphics cards. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
all things being equal, higher rez is better
all things being equal, higher fps is better
all things being equal, more effect is better

dunno about ya'll, i've personally always prefer smooth fps over everything.

in motion? do you think you will resolve that 8-10 feet away at 46 inches?

two foot gaming (on a pc or tablet) is completely different from 10 foot gaming.

Yeah, 720P gaming on my HDTV doesn't bother me (maybe partly because I'm accustomed to it?) but I cant imagine how awful it would look to run my PC gaming at 720P upscaled on my 1080P monitor...

As long as most games get a healthy bump over 720P, I'll be reasonably happy (although I hate thinking how a Tahiti chip would have likely had enough power to do 1080P everything without question).

The one that compared Crysis 3. Which one are you talking about?

That was the one that showed almost no difference at all between 1080P and 900P...
Nobody so much as suspected RYSE was anything but 1080p prior to us being told otherwise.

Yeah, I've thought about the irony of that and it goes for a lot of games. Nobody really knows until the pixel counters come in.

OTOH I think in Ryse case, can we really tell from youtube? That's where 99% of all Ryse media will be viewed from until it releases.

Isn't it fair enough to say none of these comparisons stand up to this as we need to see exactly how well the hardware scaler in the Xbox One is before final judgements?

Isn't it fair enough to say none of these comparisons stand up to this as we need to see exactly how well the hardware scaler in the Xbox One is before final judgements?

It's not like a difference won't be there.For instance, 1080p has more resolution over 900p than CoD games full resolution.

1080=2,073600
900=1,440,000
720=921,600

It's not like a difference won't be there.For instance, 1080p has more resolution over 900p than CoD games full resolution.

1080=2,073600
900=1,440,000
720=921,600

Could also say 900P has more over 720 than COD's full resolution no?

Besides there is some diminishing returns in play so raw numbers wont tell the full story (4K will not be 4X as good as 1080P)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back