Diablo III - It's official

Ok, so I lied when I said I wouldn't play the game again. I got bored with WoW (or rather, the pandaland expansion drove me away with its artificially enforced gating and punishing hostility against alts), and decided maybe I should try D3 one more time rather than spend more time in team fortress 2, which is a game that ultimately just makes me irrationally mad and is probably going to cause me to have either an aneurysm or a heart attack one day.

...Anyway, lol. I make a new demon hunter, because...well, they're fun to play, and I love that type of character. ...And I notice things seem to be going more smoothly now. Drops seem better, or enemies die more easily, I beat normal difficulty without ever having to visit the auction house for new gear. Diablo almost killed me, but only almost. My sentries took care of the bitch while I survived with a smidgen of health left. I didn't die one single time, which was a first. Maybe its the practice, but I think they really did make the game easier. I got four legendaries to drop while leveling one character up into my mid-40s, that never happened while leveling three previous chars that high. Anecdotal, I know, but I really do think something has changed...

Nightmare went pretty smoothly as well. I did drop by the AH to pick up a couple pieces of gear, weapons mostly, but most items were ludicrously overpriced. Many bits of rare-quality gear could only be bought for MILLIONS of golds. MILLIONS! Not sure why people even bother putting up a rare level 40-something pair of gloves for 3M gold, does people actually buyout things at those prices? I doubt it, even though D3 gold is essentially worthless and even if I had an infinite supply of it (which I don't at the moment!) I wouldn't encourage such practices on general principle.

When I reached the second-to-last checkpoint before Diablo, I decided to pause for the evening. Well, night really, it was like 1:30AM. Was just gonna check the AH one last time to put up some old gear I don't use anymore (listing for 1000 golds apiece, just to ensure they sell so I get rid of them), and then I decide to switch to the real-money auction house see what legendaries were available at my current level (51 at the time), and how much they cost. Well as it turned out, some pretty honkin' ridiculous legendaries, that's what. Lol.

I had two rare hand xbows that were fairly decent, at 140 and 144dps respectively with square gems socketed in them. I managed, they were a bit weak for the area but still sufficed. The legendaries had over 1000dps each.

Now, I'd seen rares with 800+ dps too listed on the gold AH. Again, costing millions of gold apiece. Not sure if that kind of damage on a rare is bugged or not I stayed well away from those weapons, but these legendaries were just too tempting. I am embarrassed to say that I paid actual money for two imaginary crossbows. Just as an experiment, mind you! I've paid for quite a few things in TF2 as well as pets for WoW, so I guess my barrier had been worn down to a nub. (For the curious, I spent €5 and €5.50 respectively I believe; not that much, and the euro is weak to the krona right now. Or that's how I rationalize the purchase to myself anyway...)

Anyhow, those crossbows are totally completely ridiculous. I plowed my way up to Diablo, then was almost killed by Diablo because my health wasn't that awesome (wore a ruby in my head for extra experience instead of amethyst for extra health), and my sentries again chewed her up while I vaulted away towards a health fount. Then I massacred myself through act 1 of hell difficulty to the skeleton king and plowed through him. My damage listed on the character screen was well over 18000 by that time, wearing rather unspectacular gear apart from the weapons. Not sure what it would have been had I purchased a full set of legendary stuff. Completely off-the-scale ridiculous, I suspect.

...But it was fun. Figuring these bows will last me all the way through hell, even though they don't have sockets. Might get killed though, monsters do a lot of damage now and gear drops are still pretty much shit. Could replace the gem in my helm with stamina of course, that would help. The templar is very useful with his heals when mobbed by elites with unfortunate random properties, waller+artillery in particular is annoying because I can't shoot them while they can shoot me. Oh well. Right now monsters aren't a REAL threat, not with the damage I put out, but shall have to see what happensin later acts.

Gonna hit 60 this time. For sure!

PS: Finally went to bed at 4:30 in the morning... UUuuuuurrrrggghhhh........

Has anyone seen how blizzard solved skills like meteor and hydra for console version? I haven't read anything about that yet, but since the game has been demo'd, the answer must be out there...

Has anyone seen how blizzard solved skills like meteor and hydra for console version? I haven't read anything about that yet, but since the game has been demo'd, the answer must be out there...

Probably they're casting it in some proximity from player in the direction he's facing. Add teleport too.

BTW there are quite a few skills that were designed with pad in mind and because of that, they suck like Slow Time Bubble on Wizard, Sanctuary field on Monk, Turret on Demon Hunter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, turrets don't suck. They're the only reason I've been able to off some of the nastier packs of random uniques I've encountered, typically anything extrafast etc. Can't afford to stay still andfight them because they hit so damn hard and they're too fast for me to outrun, so I've just plonked down turrets, rolled around (with the glyph to lower cost), had my templar heal me and potted myself, hoping I'll live long enough to kill them. Sometimes I die, usually I live. The turrets are friggen nasty, they shoot really hard if you got good weapons. They're great for bosses too btw.

Probably they casting it in some proximity for player in the direction he's facing. Add teleport too.

BTW there are quite a few skills that was designed with pad in mind and because of that they suck, like Slow Time Bubble on Wizard, Sanctuary field on Monk, Turret on Demon Hunter.

That would make them all very bad, but maybe that's what they will do.

Hey, turrets don't suck. They're the only reason I've been able to off some of the nastier packs of random uniques I've encountered, typically anything extrafast etc. Can't afford to stay still andfight them because they hit so damn hard and they're too fast for me to outrun, so I've just plonked down turrets, rolled around (with the glyph to lower cost), had my templar heal me and potted myself, hoping I'll live long enough to kill them. Sometimes I die, usually I live. The turrets are friggen nasty, they shoot really hard if you got good weapons. They're great for bosses too btw.

I wanted to write "this suck the least", but just went to sleep :p Yeah, turret is actually useful, but it would be better if You could spawn it on mouse cursor, right? :>

Yes, and no. DHs get two turrets as standard, with 3 possible. I don't think it would have been balanced to allow that many if the turret could be placed at the mouse pointer. Also, would have made it too similar to hydra, and broken off too much from D2 assassin heritage IMO (since you spawned traps at your feet back then.)

I'm pretty sure it's not consoleitis that dictated this particular design decision; if it was, then why do we have skills like hydra, meteor, blizzard, and probably bunches of others as well (I only play wizard and demon hunter... ;))

Maybe those skills were designed at the beginning of development time when stuff like Monk's Sanctuary or Slow Time Bubble were later? And Demon Hunter was last character that was introduced and developed.

It just seems strange, especially when You think about slow time bubble, it would so much better skill if You could cast on cursor, now its pain in the ass. I've really tried to make it work, but it couldnt, it just annoyed me like hell.

Will Diablo 3 still matter when it's released for PS3 and PS4?

Honest question.

You can never escape the wrath of Davros
The gaming gods demand you play the p.c classic Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines

The gaming gods dont just punish you but they punish you with total awesomeness...

and heres why you should play this game
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/02/11/forever-young-the-tragedy-of-bloodlines/

Oh, thanks, sounds very good! I'll have a look at it!
Only 20 Euros on Steam...cool. Now I need my Austrian buddy to gift it to me over Steam such that I get the uncut version...

There's been some talk about them changing the loot system for D3, one of the devs mentioned it offhand as "Loot 2.0". Any idea what that is? Maybe the loot system from the consoles, actually set up to NOT use the frikkin' auction house?

That's one thing that's really getting to me on this game, now that I'm playing it again.. the way the gear itemization works. I'm convinced that they intentionally nerf the drops for the class you're actually playing, forcing you to go to the auction house. That is piss-poor game design, IMO. They've even talked about a "self-found" mode, bonuses for characters that actually try to get all their own gear (like I do). Things like this will make me wind up getting the console version just so I can actually get decent gear.

BTW, I'm starting a dedicated thread in the console section for that version of the game. Hope that's okay, mods. ;)

one of the devs mentioned it offhand as "Loot 2.0". Any idea what that is?
Only thing I've heard - and this was a while ago, I don't watch D3 news as I (again) don't play the game - is that they plan on reducing the amount of gear that drops and buff the quality of drops.

Considering that the average quality of items dropping right now is typically somewhere between "shit" and "goddamn shit", even with 100+ percent to magic find, this would be very useful.

And also, the amount of demon hunter gear I craft with either strength or intellect on it instead of dexterity is just extraordinary, which totally suggests they deliberately nerf drops for your current class. Anecdotal evidence, sure, but it's extremely consistent anecdotal evidence which suggests to me that it really isn't all that anecdotal at all...

Back