Diablo 4 [PS4, PS5, XO, XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

They made some changes. Pet levels much faster and the vaults aren't really a problem with 10buffs/pearl. Pretty easy to clear without too much effort, if you by 2 buffs you can mostly just ignore the traps at least in regards to getting the final rewards.

I'll have fun with this one because I'll spend 40 hours beating it and then move on to the next game without the expectation that the end game is supposed to entertain me into retirement. :)

First RT FPS test on Series X (video hasn't finished processing as of this post)

Long stretches of a locked 30fps, with occasional frame drops that seem to be unrelated to graphics or onscreen action.
Overall, a solid RT implementation (performance-wise) on Series X.

First RT FPS test on Series X (video hasn't finished processing as of this post)

Long stretches of a locked 30fps, with occasional frame drops that seem to be unrelated to graphics or onscreen action.
Overall, a solid RT implementation (performance-wise) on Series X.
frame generation would be very beneficial for the game when RT is on, other than that it looks very nice.

Another game that would be a perfect candidate for a PS5 Pro version running at 60fps with RT (and AI upscaling).

Only as a purchase justification. :) There's not really a noticeable visual improvement with RT/DLSS from my admittedly limited play.

I think Blizzard really chose a pleasant and coherent approach to it's pre-RT shadows. Maybe if the visuals were built from the ground up with RT shadows/reflection in mind it would be more impactful.

Another game that would be a perfect candidate for a PS5 Pro version running at 60fps with RT (and AI upscaling).
A game that shouldn't have bothered with RT at all. ;) It's not about the framerate but the complete lack of impact. The main difference is it adds confusion to the visuals when fighting in water with key elements duplicated (enemy shots that are clearly to be avoided are now reflected and adding an unnecessary complication to reading the scene) and more visual clutters from shadows - softer shadows make the enemies visually clearer. Artistically it's a bad add to the game and a negative IMO. On PS5Pro (or 4090) I'd turn RT off to be able to see and read the game better.

Only as a purchase justification. :) There's not really a noticeable visual improvement with RT/DLSS from my admittedly limited play.

I think Blizzard really chose a pleasant and coherent approach to it's pre-RT shadows. Maybe if the visuals were built from the ground up with RT shadows/reflection in mind it would be more impactful.
From the point of game design, the detail from better RT lighting is actually a negative. For visual clarity the game benefits from soft shadows, which means large area lights, where RT isn't so beneficial.

RT in a game like this probably wants a photorealism approach, so uniform GI and very artistically chosen lighting. Once you go stylised like D4, the technical choices made to support that art were pretty ideal and not limited by tech. Basically, Blizzard had already won the visuals. My only complaint with the game is the light source stuck in front of the player casting their shadow backwards, so as you turn around your shadow spins, and clashes with the orientation of other people's shadows.

A game that shouldn't have bothered with RT at all. ;) It's not about the framerate but the complete lack of impact. The main difference is it adds confusion to the visuals when fighting in water with key elements duplicated (enemy shots that are clearly to be avoided are now reflected and adding an unnecessary complication to reading the scene) and more visual clutters from shadows - softer shadows make the enemies visually clearer. Artistically it's a bad add to the game and a negative IMO. On PS5Pro (or 4090) I'd turn RT off to be able to see and read the game better.
Probably right about RT but the current game runs at 1260p + FSR2 on consoles. It could run at 1440p + 4K quality PSSR on PS5 Pro with great results with not much work from developer (increasing res, replacing FSR2 by PSSR).

My only complaint with the game is the light source stuck in front of the player casting their shadow backwards, so as you turn around your shadow spins, and clashes with the orientation of other people's shadows.

I assume that's there for gameplay reasons. That's at least what I tell myself though gritted teeth!

From the point of game design, the detail from better RT lighting is actually a negative. For visual clarity the game benefits from soft shadows, which means large area lights, where RT isn't so beneficial.

RT in a game like this probably wants a photorealism approach, so uniform GI and very artistically chosen lighting. Once you go stylised like D4, the technical choices made to support that art were pretty ideal and not limited by tech. Basically, Blizzard had already won the visuals. My only complaint with the game is the light source stuck in front of the player casting their shadow backwards, so as you turn around your shadow spins, and clashes with the orientation of other people's shadows.
pretty much spot on. I think the art style of Diablo 4 is allegedly the best thing about the game, and it is the most stunning aspect of the game when it launched, and still is. The bigger improvement is the reflections on the water, nice detail, and the new AO looks better inside buildings, but I am confused regarding this new AO whether it is RT based or simply a typical improved AO setting.

Back