DFC Report: "Clear possibility that PS3 could end upthird in market share"

scooby_dooby said:
Are you seriously stil arguing this ridiculous position? There is no HDD on Wii, it won't be running any sort of office, any talk otherwise is pointless as it has a 0% probability of ever happening.

It can have (IIRC even Nintendo will sell) HDD or any other by the USB ports.

I cant see any problem, many have modded the XB to make it a (cheap) PC, fully functional, why cant they do it legally?

BTW

I really doubt that Asia Pacific, Europe (!), the Middle East, and Africa are wiling to pay that much specially for features that will not use.

Shifty Geezer said:
It'd be nice if true, at this juncture it isn't. eg. Load an Access Database into OOBase and do a mailmerge...

Bu account the database functionality is broken beyond reasonable use. The Word alternative is effective and I hear the preadsheet is quite good too. But point-for-point OOo doesn't cover all MSOffice's features. Okay, it doesn't have to for most people, but there's still quite some way to go I think.

My employer uses OpenOffice instead of MS Office, so I use it for serious everyday work in the office. The database functionality isn't quite there with regards to the personal forms and query tools if you are talking about the built in personal database. However for professional office use, connect it to a central database server, as OpenOffice has been able to do for years, and you have top notch database functionality. The direct export to PDF and export of presentations to swf flash media format exceeds MS Office functionality and are far more useful than the shortcomings in built-in database creation tools.

Anyway, all this is going away from the point. We are talking about Joe Average here. Is Joe average going to worry about the finer points of database creation tools? Would Joe Average spend $229 for a Wii, $399 for a PS3 or a similar amount for a bottom of the range PC and then spend an additional $250 for MS Office? I think not. MS Office is for the few exceptions and those who are willing to pirate.

scooby_dooby said:
Are you seriously stil arguing this ridiculous position? There is no HDD on Wii, it won't be running any sort of office, any talk otherwise is pointless as it has a 0% probability of ever happening.

That is just it, Writely doesn't need a hard disk, it runs on the Google server, and storage is on the server, the same way as Hotmail stores emails on the Hotmail server.

Shifty Geezer said:
When using USB peripherals to add Wifi or MemCard readers, you lose one or two USB slots, so can't connect an extra 3 or 4 devices like keyboard, mouse, camera and printer.
Maybe Sony will let you use bluetooth keyboard and mouse together with the PS3 and thereby relax the USB requirements somewhat?

Anyhow, I don´t think the number of USB-ports is such a big issue as you can attach a USB-hub if you are going USB-crazy. But I must admit I am a bit annoyed that they removed the USB-ports at the back as l like to hide wires whenever possible.

expletive said:
I think the Rancid's point is that the price of the $500 puts it in the range of people who DO care about this functionality, and thats the problem.

Cheers! Sorry if I wasn't clear enough in my own previous attempts.

Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

If you want to make the point that the 360 plus external HD-DVD is a crippled system, I'd agree with that as well.

Otherwise, your statements are just trolling.
I think it's best to put the features of each SKU down to compare
xbox360 core- HDD-NO(therefor no gamesave or silver account), Component-NO wireless controllers-NO, HD player-NO free multiplayer-NO HDMI- NO Wifi-NO

xbox360 premium- HDD-YES(20GB), Component-YES, wireless controllers-YES, HD player-NO, Free multiplayer- NO HDMI - NO Wifi-NO

PS3 499 SKU - HDD-Yes(20GB), Component-YES, , wireless controllers-YES, HD player-YES(gaurenteed HD resolutions up until 2011 and by then stand alone players will most likely reach current DVD players in pricing), Free multiplayer-yes HDMI-NO Wifi-NO

PS3 599 SKU - HDD-Yes(60GB), component-YES, wireless controllers- YES, HD player-YES, free multiplayer-YES HDMI- YES Wifi-YES

RancidLunchmeat said:
The confusion, goes back to my original statement that we're talking about video game consoles.

If you want to talk about multi-media centers, then as I said earlier, you could throw the HD-DVD add on into the mix, compare all products under the criteria of media centers, in which case both the Xbox (of any version) and the $499 version of the PS3 are crippled.

But again, the reason the PS3 costs more than the Xbox is because of its added value as a media center. Yet, that value is significantly decreased on the crippled $499 version, however the premium is still passed onto the consumer.

Would you buy a new HDTV without HDMI? Certainly not, unless it was such an amazing deal (which the PS3 clearly is not).

Essentially, my point is that the only reason to justify the premium of the PS3 over that of the 360 is to point to its abilities as a media player. However, those abilities are crippled and not very attractive for the demographic that will be most interested in it, in the $499 version.

Seriously Rancid, you must be confusing post and users. I have absolutely no clue what any of this has to do with what we specifically were discussing. Either that, or you refuse to admit you stated two contradictory statements. There was absolutely no discussion about HD-DVD. No discussion about demographics. No discussion of multi-media players. No discussion about justifying price. You're going off on some tangent that is in no way relevant to our particular discussion, the questions I posed to you, regarding two, apparently, contradictory statements. Reading far too much into my questions, or somehow integrating/confusing them with other people's arguments. I've reiterated my specific questions several times now, along with your two contradictory statements, and you still don't seem do get it or I'm unable to portray the simplicity of what it is I was refering to. I guess I'll leave the discussion at that.

Shifty Geezer said:
Yes. You can put in any old 2.5" HDD into any PS3.

Thanks Shifty - I wasn't sure on that one as intially there was some confusion. With that I'd say it's a no brainer then. The $499 is clearly the ps3 to get. How many people truly expect their ps3 to reliably last longer than 5 years? Better yet any cutting edge tech to last long than 5 years? Point is even if they start shipping Bluray movies that won't play hidef without hdmi in 2010, you'll probably want a new ps3/Bluray player anyway.

So the HDMI argument is a bit pointless.

RancidLunchmeat said:
I can't imagine any early adopter of BR tech that are willing to pay a premium for that tech, that will be willing to pay a premium for something they know definitively will be obsolete before the lifecycle of the format.

I guess that's my problem.

I don't know any early adopter that honestly think they can buy a games console, with a first generation BR drive, and actually have it last >5 years under heavy usage.

Besides, AV enthusiasts will certainly buy the HDMI version. Everyone else has no reason too, unlike the 360 core which is a horrible deal(due more to the peripheral pricing than anything), there's nothing wrong with the base ps3, I think consumers will see it as a good deal.

Shifty Geezer said:
I'm not undertanding why you think this. Of the zillions of things PS3 can (or should be able to) do, I see one which the low-end version can't. In this list

Play games
Motion Control
EyeToy control
Play DVD movies
Play BRD movies
Output over component
Output over HDMI
Play audio CD
Play audio wave-files
Download movies
Download games
Download music
Save games
Run Linux
LocationFree streaming

I see one things the cheap PS3 can't do. And that's a reduced list. Feature for feature, they're identical devices when you factor in additions that can be added ot the cheaper PS3 except for two points. 1) HDMI can't be added. 2) When using USB peripherals to add Wifi or MemCard readers, you lose one or two USB slots, so can't connect an extra 3 or 4 devices like keyboard, mouse, camera and printer.

I don't see this as significantly decreased value over the full PS3 (depending on the pricing of the extras. If USB Wifi costs $200, it's another story!) and I don't understand why you would. The missing features are features that will impact a tiny proportion of users.
If I understand the argument correctly, and I think I do, the Blu-ray movie playback is the feature that is used as justifying the extra cost. When you acknowledge that component is not really a legitimate mechanism over which to play high def movies in either BR or HD DVD (due to the studios' ability at any point to cut off that output) then it becomes crippled in light of the HD playback. (I would add that I disagree with the strong term "crippled", but the point remains.)

If then one removes the Blu-ray playback from the PS3, this "crippled" argument no longer holds (since the two versions play games identically). But at this point the added value of Blu-ray playback is no longer valid.

It's a vicious cycle...

scooby_dooby said:
I don't know any early adopter that honestly think they can buy a games console, with a first generation BR drive, and actually have it last >5 years under heavy usage.

Besides, AV enthusiasts will certainly buy the HDMI version. Everyone else has no reason too, unlike the 360 core which is a horrible deal(due more to the peripheral pricing than anything), there's nothing wrong with the base ps3, I think consumers will see it as a good deal.

Completely and totally incorrect because the 360 CORE is completely upgradeable to to the 360 Penium, which is a point that internhet freaks seem to be mssing.

The 360 Premium is a BUNDLE.

The $299 version of the 360 is NO DIFFERENT than the $299 launch price of the PS2.

THAT is the entire point.

There's no reason AT ALL, that the 360 core can't be $199 at the same price in its lifetime that the PS2 was.

Neither unit had wireless intternet, neither unit had wirelss contllers, neither unit had HDDs etc.. etc.. etc.. etc..

I think the $399 premium version is WAY over priced. If MS makes the core uniut at $199, it will FLY off the shelves.

I still believe that people who disregard the $199 price point are completely fooling themsleves.

The only reason that MS even MADE the ciore version was because they wanted to hit he $199 price poiint BEFORE everybdy else.

So what if you have to buy a memory card in order to save games? It's the SAME THING you had to do last generation when you bought a PS2.

TYe bottom line is that MS offered an NEXT GEN CONSOLE for the SAME PRICE as you were used to payig LAST GEN..

And it has the same features, plus MORE than you got when you bought a console LAST gen.

Sure,,, you caj buy the premium bundle and get MORE for LESS than buying all the acsories separato=ertly.. But it's still abudle1 And that's thje entire POINT of buying bundles!

And it has the same features, plus MORE than you got when you bought a console LAST gen.
Except backward compatibility, which the PS2 had. And media center features, which the Xbox had. For that, you'll need the $99 hard drive, assuming you can find it.

fearsomepirate said:
Except backward compatibility, which the PS2 had. And media center features, which the Xbox had. For that, you'll need the $99 hard drive, assuming you can find it.
The Xbox had Media Center features? Which ones were those?

EDIT: Also, my playing "Stubbs the Zombie" on Xbox 360 last night says hello to your "Except to backward compatibility" comment.

Sis said:
The Xbox had Media Center features? Which ones were those?

EDIT: Also, my playing "Stubbs the Zombie" on Xbox 360 last night says hello to your "Except to backward compatibility" comment.

I used my Xbox as a jukebox. OK, I guess it couldn't do anything with video files, but that's more than the HD-less 360 Tard Pack can do...although the Tard Pack can play DVDs, so I guess it comes out even. Notice I didn't capitalize "media center." I did that for a reason. If the 360 can play Stubbs w/o a hard drive, that's a nice(?) bonus that MS isn't telling anyone about. Which other Xbox games work without the hard drive?

Last edited by a moderator:
fearsomepirate said:
I used my Xbox as a jukebox. OK, I guess it couldn't do anything with video files, but that's more than the HD-less 360 Tard Pack can do...

If you ignore the fact it can stream your music collection from any windows PC or Mac(with a very nice visualizer as well).

Last edited by a moderator:
RancidLunchmeat said:
Completely and totally incorrect because the 360 CORE is completely upgradeable to to the 360 Penium, which is a point that internhet freaks seem to be mssing.

The 360 Premium is a BUNDLE.

The $299 version of the 360 is NO DIFFERENT than the $299 launch price of the PS2.

THAT is the entire point.

There's no reason AT ALL, that the 360 core can't be $199 at the same price in its lifetime that the PS2 was.

Neither unit had wireless intternet, neither unit had wirelss contllers, neither unit had HDDs etc.. etc.. etc.. etc..

I think the $399 premium version is WAY over priced. If MS makes the core uniut at $199, it will FLY off the shelves.

I still believe that people who disregard the $199 price point are completely fooling themsleves.

The only reason that MS even MADE the ciore version was because they wanted to hit he $199 price poiint BEFORE everybdy else.

So what if you have to buy a memory card in order to save games? It's the SAME THING you had to do last generation when you bought a PS2.

TYe bottom line is that MS offered an NEXT GEN CONSOLE for the SAME PRICE as you were used to payig LAST GEN..

Sure,,, you caj buy the premium bundle and get MORE for LESS than buying all the acsories separato=ertly.. But it's still abudle1 And that's thje entire POINT of buying bundles!

Dude what the hell are you ranting about? Seriously, you're not making any sense right now. Not that I don't agree with alot of your statements...but why are you telling me?

Here's the point you seem to be missing in my opinion: Casual consumers won't care about not being able to upgrade to the premium model. It doesn't matter.

For most people the added functionality offered by HDMI completely unnecessary. You make it seem like some integral functionality that every will want, when in reality, only a teeny little subset of potential buyers care if their games console comes with HDMI.

fearsomepirate said:
If the 360 can play Stubbs w/o a hard drive, that's a nice(?) bonus that MS isn't telling anyone about. Which other Xbox games work without the hard drive?
Nevermind, I see you two were comparing core 360 to Xbox and PS2. :oops:

scooby_dooby said:
If you ignore the fact it can stream your music collection from any windows PC or Mac(with a very nice visualizer as well).

Yeah, my low-rent apartment was totally wired for that. Plugged it straight into my 60" HDTV as I lounged around in my mink bathrobe snacking on bald eagle. :p

Acert93 said:
You will have to provide links to the 170M figure as none of the sites that track this indicate anything remotely close to that for home consoles.

By home consoles I assume you mean set top only- that would explain the rift in numbers.

And yet still LESS of a factor as DVD in the PS2/Xbox, which was the point to begin with.

By less if you mean a much larger factor then I would have to agree. Other then that I can't say that I do.

DVD players + added features above and beyond those of VHS + added quality on every TV + worked on every TV in the market + was a stable format with broad support.

A huge portion of the population watches all of those extra features too, right? In realistic terms those that do want the extra features are the same people who are the most likely to already own a HDTV and can utilize the vastly superior quality of the next gen format. As far as working on every TV- you mean with additional hardware that you had to purchase seperately.

Blu Ray/HD DVD -/+ adds fewer features - has intrusive DRM and wants online access - the core benefit is not viewable on 90% of the installed televisions - and is in the middle of a PR and movie studio war, and notably the "DVD" brand has sided on the Toshiba (HD DVD) side.

What intrusive features exactly? You do realize that BluRay is on the market- doesn't require you to go online nor does it utilize DRM ATM or any time remotely soon. As far as being in a war- Toshiba has a consortium on thier side from the last gen victor- BluRay has Hollywood, Sony and Matsushita on their side. It isn't a war, more like a small group of kids throwing a temper tantrum.

Again, the impact of BluRay will be less significant than the impact of DVD. DVD was already a market reality when the PS2 launched and was high on casual consumer demand.

Sony isn't thinking about casuals right now, and neither is MS. That will not be a factor for a few years which, not surprisingly, is roughly how long it took for DVD to become in demand by the mainstream.

Then you missed the notes at E3 where MS was claiming 50% Live attach rate with the 360

Your quote-

What could spur on a 70% growth in the market?

Blu Ray/HD DVD? No, because DVD had a much wider appeal and market position last gen so there is no reason to believe it could spur 70% growth.

Online? Consumers are already online by the millions on the PC and consoles were online last gen. With numbers like 50% adoptions rate from MS this does not seem encouraging either.

You point to online not being a driving force behind market expansion this generation and speak of the adoption rate being proof of that. Given the miniscule amount of users who were online last generation- are you saying that you were speaking of the current generations enormous on line adoption rate as evidence that it won't be a factor?

and read context and the last 6 months of discussion on the hardware costs.

I have read them. Sony is going to charge themselves $250 to fab Cell and all sorts of other such nonsense. I have read a lot about how extremely difficult it is to fab RSX in late '06 with what is one of the most sophisticated fabs in the world while nV was doing nigh exactly that a year earlier on TSMCs comparitively outdated lines. I have read how Sony building simpler chips in house is going to cost them significantly more then farming out more complex chips ala MS. I have read the discussions, quite frankly they are so astoundingly absurd they weren't worth entering into. Compare Xenos+Xenon to Cell+RSX and the 360 is at a decided disadvantage in terms of complexity(as far as yields are concerned). Sony has its own dedicated fab designed for mass production of Cell and RSX chips completed versus MS having to outsource their entire operation. Sony has the capability of assembling the consoles entirely in house, MS does not.

The PS3 is obviously more expensive to manufacturer than the 360.

Nothing outside of BluRay indicates that. In fact, overall it leans the opposite way unless you are talking about Core.

The standard HDD -- as last gen demonstrated -- is a significant hurdle to cost reduction. BluRay will drop in price but will continue being more expensive than a standard DVD drive, etc.

The HDD has the same impact on MS's premium as it does to Sony's systems. Of course, Core out of the box without any accessories isn't a viable gaming platform by any person's standards. You need to shell out at least another $40 for a very small memory card- and that doesn't hold very many save games either(had to buy one for my 360 when my first HD died).

Only hardcore Playstation fans are in denial that Sony's hardware choices will result in a pricing model that will result in higher retail console costs. It is palpably obvious the PS3 is more expensive to produce than the competing consoles -- the components and PS3 price itself clearly confirm this.

Of course it is now, BluRay is very expensive to produce ATM. If you look at the closest option MS has in the pipes, Premium with the HD-DVD add on(still lacking a lot though) then you are out the same as the high end PS3. In the long run, MS has obstacles to overcome to bring their price down that Sony doesn't have to deal with(packaging expenses, dual chips for the GPU). As far as being a Sony fan- I think they are a disgrace to the industry- electronics and gaming. They have failed in every attempt to make reliable hardware, their first party is sickly at best, they inflate their numbers with hardware designed to die, they refuse to make any sort of innovation outside of copying others and in a broader issue with Sony they have been shoveling out tird tier crap and charging huge premiums for it for the last nearly two decades. They are an inept company that I would be pleased to see fall into complete collapse. You can check my posting history on this one too, I have always felt that way. I also have nothing against MS in the least- I am a very satisfied Win/Office user- I buy their latest and greatest keyboards paying close to $100 for them and have yet to be let down in the least by them. I think that Bill Gates is an extremely admirable man- both in the business sense and particularly in the personal sense. The way I feel about Sony or MS has absolutely nothing to do with what is happening in the marketplace however.

No, as I said the minimum entry price on the two consoles is a $200 gap. $299 X360 Core and $499 PS2-20GB. This is not to deny the difference in features.

$160 for anything resembling a useable system. Core is not useable out of the box. As long as Sony is supply limited, that won't change(unless MS is forced to drop their prices).

:rolleyes: I never said it was the only important factor or even hinted at such.

Obviously even a person with a closed head injury can understand there are many dynamics that go into this industry and market adoption. If you look closer at my posts you will see I note many of those factors. It is pretty clear you have read my post, took snippets to create strawmen, and are argueing with yourself.

Not in the least. Market analysis is what my job comes down to. It is what I do for a living(distribution- I make sure their are no hiccups between manufacturers and retail and I need to do this months in advance with purchase orders and setting up parameters in the computer to determine demand for products long before the first unit ships).

What you have failed to do is acknowledge that you are expecting a complete reversal by MS and Sony, MS are going to stop doing almost everything wrong and Sony is going to stop doing almost everything right. Why does anyone assume this is going to be the case? You think the launch price point is too high so you attempt to build up how the entire generation is going to play out based on that. That hasn't ever really worked well in the past. VCRs launched in the $1K range. DVD players did too. The PSX launched for more then the N64, the PS2 launched for more then the GC. Your assertion is that their pricing will remain high because it must- what is going to make it this way? Either BluRay has a very small premium over DVD right now(which we know is not true) or the rest of the components in the PS3 are comparable in price to the 360. That isn't me trying to take Sony's side or any other such nonsense- simply look at the hardware.

Sony may very well end up blowing this generation- if they do it will be by losing their core customers and losing the mainstream. Their launch price can very well serve to benefit them in the long term. People see a piece of electronics that is selling for $200 that used to be $500 in appears to be a better value then one that was selling for $400. Of course that is the wrong way to look at things, but that IS how they work for the typical consumer. This isn't due to laziness or stupidity- it is due to indifference and it happens to almost everyone for something.

Back