Deus Ex 3 (PC)

Just finished it. The story doesn't achieve the same level of greatness as DX1, but it's still very good. It makes sense as a prequel except for the fact the first AI seems more advanced than Morpheus even if that presumably wasn't their intent. It's also left mostly unanswered why that AI helps you (unlike the pretty nifty "Daedalus realises MJ12 itself is a terrorist organisation") and what happens to it at the end.

And I'm not sure the choices I made throughout the game had that much impact although it's hard to say without replaying it (which I won't have the time to do). I hear the [optional event at limb clinic] has a significant impact but if you're following the story at all you'd have to be pretty stupid to do it. And I'm not sure I understand the consequences of the various endings; the one I picked should clearly make the DX1 events completely impossible and it should be possible to get back with [important character], but the bonus scene after the end credits implies otherwise. It seems to me like the 4th ending should be canon for DX1 and all the other ones should be highly divergent, as that would make more sense and give you a greater sense of agency. So unless it's a bug or not intended to be canon in that case, it's slightly disappointing.

Anyhow, good story and good gameplay, certainly not perfect but worth playing.

EDIT: Also, I feel it's pretty lame my preferred ending starts with an unsourced Albert Einstein quote. The reasoning behind it is also completely senseless (human augmentation makes us unable to "love, aspire, or make moral choices" - are you kidding me? So much for really understanding the problem. Then again all the endings seem intentionally biased to make the player feel good about his decision - once again unlike DX1 which didn't sugarcoat the non-Helios endings).

Does anyone have SSAO working? I noticed a lack of it when I first started playing which had me wondering how it is used in the game, but quickly got sucked into the game and forgot about it. Then I just watched this plantform comparison video which shows SSAO all over the place in the console versions, but completely missing on the PC. So I tested the high/med/off settings in both DX 11 and DX 9. and it doesn't seem like they change anything.

Also, is the game too bright for everyone, like in that video above rather than like the videos and srcreenshots on the Steam page? I turned the luminosity setting all the way down, but even then the game world looks notably brighter than the prerendered cutscenes.

Scratch that on the SSAO. it does add shadowing, just not like on the console versions and far more subtle than any other SSAO implementation I've ever seen.

Last edited by a moderator:
The SSAO on the consoles is way overboard, IMO, completely ruins the effect. Looks more like a black halo than anything else. Kind of glad it's toned down quite a bit for the PC version.

I agree it looks excessive on the consoles in many places, but the PC version looks rather lacking in others. For instance, this:

beaaba219de0f4608e096360ecbe038b220acab8.jpg

looks much nicer than this:

k0uax.jpg

Picked this up yesterday for 20 bucks, thanks to a Best Buy rewards coupon for $30. This game has ATI written all over it. Literally. This has to be the first instance of a boxed copy game I've ever seen where it wasn't branded with the Nvidia "The way it's meant to be played" stamp. Anyway, I haven't had an opportunity to play for very long, but I'm hoping to change that tonight. I have some free time I plan on devoting to this game, this evening. I'll post screens, too.

For some reason disabling v-sync decreases loading times.
Wow, it over halved them for me. Too bad I can't stand tearing. Hopefully this is fixed in a patch soon, as the long load times are dissuading me from a second playthrough.

It tears insanely badly without vsync, yeah.

Does everyone else get the stuttering? I get it on both of my machines regardless of detail settings.

How do you get to Chicago? I beat the game without ever even seeing an option to go there.
;)
I'm sorry I meant Detroit. I've been playing Invisible War and that's where I got Chicago from.

I can see caveats of both approaches. PC means patches, drivers, DRM, and who knows what other kind of stuff that annoys me nowadays.

These things simply aren't an issue in PC as they once were in the very distant past.

I haven't installed a game patch (outside of those that download automatically) since installing Windows 7 god knows how many months ago. And I've only updated my graphics drivers once and that had nothing to do with gaming.

DRM is a minor annoyance for the most part and is more a matter of principle to most people that complain about it. Personally I can only ever recall it effecting me in any significant way once when Assassins Creed wouldn't play for a few hours when EA's servers were down.

Heck, I'm not entirely convinced my i7 - GTX460 combo would be able to run the game at 1600*1050 at a stable framerate; the Crysis 2 demo certainly did not perform as well as I hoped, never really bothered about the full game after.

I don't see how this can be considered an argument for consoles against PC's. Regardless of whether you can max the game out on your relatively modest rig, it will still offer far superior graphics and performance to either console version.

I've been playing on my PC well until the X360 was released, I only got one sometime in 2009. I find the experience a lot more comfortable, maybe it's just me, maybe it's sitting in a chair in front of a desk 10-12 hours a day, but I prefer that approach to the mouse and keyboard.

As others have stated, couch, controller, TV, surround sound can in many instances offer a more comfortable experience. But they are all freely available to PC gamers. I'm another one that has all that connected to my PC. Regardless though I tend to use the monitor far more often because of the far greater field of view it gives me. My TV isn't huge at 40" but it feels tiny after playing 2 feet away from a 24" monitor.

And then there's the games which play horribly on a control pad to consider.

An update has come in

This latest patch addresses:

• A frequent issue for AMD/ATI hardware users that can cause the game to crash on startup.
  • Improvements to loading speed. The speed increase depends on machine spec and settings, but loading time improvements of over 50% have been measured on some machines.
  • Some control fixes:
    • Diagonal movement is no longer faster as intended.
    • Adjustments have been made to mouse sensitivity in response to user feedback.
      • Mouse sensitivity for X and Y axis can still be configured separately, but is now consistent when set to default settings.
      • The range of settings for mouse sensitivity has been adjusted to provide for more accurate adjusting.
      • The default mouse sensitivity has been altered to be somewhat less sensitive.
And I just just getting used to running diagonally like a loon to be faster! ;)

It loads a whole lot faster now.

I'm on the third mission and so far the game is hitting my nerd g-spot pretty solidly. Very evocative of the original, and load times are much improved after yesterday's patch.

I haven't encountered any necessarily long load times, myself. I have the game maxed out, with Vsync on, and load times are minimal. I didn't even know there was an issue.

Is it just me, or do the textures look a little crappy, even when maxed out? I mean, Jensen's facial animation is awful! Some of the NPC's I've encountered have this gloss to them, as if they're made of plastic.

The game play is pretty faithful to the original. But I've noticed an ongoing issue of physic guards. For example, I was spotted during the first mission in one of the labs. I completely fell out of the guard's line of sight, even traveled through a vent and walked a light fixture like a plank, and as soon as I emerged from the ventilation system, even though it was on an entirely different floor, they immediately zeroed in on my position and began shooting at me.

Back