Detroit [PS4, PC]

Game is looking fine man! April GoW and this in May which then leads up to E3 is just too perfect, also Lance in a game about android:LOL:who would have thought.
giphy.gif

More screenshots from Gamersyde.
http://gamersyde.com/news_detroit_become_human_launching_may_25-19882_en.html
image_detroit_become_human-37753-3428_0001.jpg

Last edited:
PS4 PRO enhancement detail.
detroitz6sot.png

They omitted the performance mode because they prefer visual due to the nature of this game, which I think is the right call. Best news is HDR support and 4k CBR. I wonder if those numbers for the volumetric lighting would show a big difference tho.

God dang what a lighting monster! They use Irradiance Sparse Octree which is that crazy GI solution similar to Tomorrow's Children's VXGI but on the scale of this title:oops:. Also Close Up Lighting and Close Up Shadow really is a game changer from the look of things, finally a technique that makes ingame graphics like cutscene quality.

Kingdome Come has Sparse Voxel Octree Global Illumination.

Quantic Dream wanted to use PCSS but it was too expensive. I think games should improve their shadow quality by a lot. We need something like this in almost every game: https://docs.unrealengine.com/lates...ngAndShadows/RayTracedDistanceFieldShadowing/

I am not a fan of Checkerboarding due the many ugly interlacing like artefakts in motion (especially at 30fps). Temporal Upsampling is much better.

Last edited:

Quantic Dream wanted to use PCSS but it was too expensive. I think games should improve their shadow quality by a lot. We need something like this in almost every game: https://docs.unrealengine.com/lates...ngAndShadows/RayTracedDistanceFieldShadowing/

I am not a fan of Checkerboarding due the many ugly interlacing like artefakts in motion (especially at 30fps). Temporal Upsampling is much better.

They use PCSS just for the tooth shader because it is too expensive.

I prefer temporal upsampling too.

The UE4 rayteaced distance field shadow are used in Fortnite for mid and long distance shadows. Only shadow maps for shadow at low distance.

Only for the PC version tho, for a console game to handle this kind of lighting with high detail world is pretty impressive.
Isn't PCSS super expensive even for PC? I don't see it come close to proliferate every corner of the game world save for the small sections.

Only for the PC version tho, for a console game to handle this kind of lighting with high detail world is pretty impressive.
Isn't PCSS super expensive even for PC? I don't see it come close to proliferate every corner of the game world save for the small sections.

They only keep PCSS for tooth shader... The tech of the game is really good...

They only keep PCSS for tooth shader... The tech of the game is really good...
Yeah I saw that :), numerous kissing scene confirmed? QD is pulling off some serious magic here in terms of rendering techniques on the PS4, I hope they include a Photomode too.

God dang what a lighting monster! They use Irradiance Sparse Octree which is that crazy GI solution similar to Tomorrow's Children's VXGI but on the scale of this title:oops:. Also Close Up Lighting and Close Up Shadow really is a game changer from the look of things, finally a technique that makes ingame graphics like cutscene quality.
They do not trace the octree, but fit lightprobes in it.
This is closer to what was in Quantum Break.

Last edited:
I prefer temporal upsampling too.

For example Mass Effect Andromeda had 1800p Checkerboarding on the PlayStation 4 Pro but I saw a lot of aliasing which I didn't even see at native 1512p on PC. I was surprised because I have always told people how perfect the image quality would be.

Despite the high performance costs Checkerboarding has a only a little to do with a native resolution from point of view. Temporal upsampling will probably have a bigger future.

Last edited:
It is the same demo that was available on Gamescom. It was very intensive (as much or more than Heavy Rain), although I do not really remember the outcome of my decisions.

For example Mass Effect Andromeda had 1800p Checkerboarding on the PlayStation 4 Pro but I saw a lot of aliasing which I didn't even see at native 1512p on PC. I was surprised because I have always told people how perfect the image quality would be.

Despite the high performance costs Checkerboarding has a only a little to do with a native resolution from point of view. Temporal upsampling will probably have a bigger future.

2160p checkerboard rendering is much better than 1800p checkerboard rendering... And temporal upsampling is better...

Back