Destiny [PS3,X360,PS4,XO]

To me its the other way around, I have to engage more and try out new weapons etc. It is refreshing than just using the same old "super" combos of weapons and armour, imho.

I hardly got to use them, most of the them I got weeks before. I did find myself going back to them even though the attack number was lower. The other perks make up for that. I'm such a casual player though I feel like I back to being a freshman as I see all the level 40s run around on day one.

I dunno, there's a lot of problems with the upgrade systems. I dunno if I like it, feels weird.

For example every legendary you get is arguably useless before like 270 light...you will have to upgrade it many times, at the cost of scarce marks. That's just weird.

Best probably to not open any legendaries if you can before like 280 light. It's wasted resources if you plan on keeping it.

Quest system too....I'm already bored with half of them, I read there is 125 quests in TTK? Why is there a 2-step quest to run a new strike? In the old days it was called...running a new strike.

I just scan reddit to learn which quests have the rewards I want (Marks, or weapons in some way) and only do them up to those steps. Just the reward of "experience" marked on most quests is useless. Moreso now that upgrading guns is pretty useless. I haven't even see a single "extended mag" type perk yet, does it still exist? This would be one of the only weapon perks worth caring about...They have nerfed perks to a often trivially specific/weak level, next will be "gun fires faster when running backwards in the cosmodrome being chased by three or more Vandals within 10 meters" or something.

Speaking of mags, Bungie's unmitigated war on magazine sizes has reached a zenith. I currently have a scout rifle with a TEN mag. Something like a pulse with a 30 shot mag (which is still really just ten) is like a cornucopia compared to other guns. Had a hand cannon with 5 mag. Most Rocket Launchers I've had so far have 4 rockets total mag+reserve. 4! You pick up one rocket per heavy pack. About the highest I think scouts go anymore is 17, they used to be 27! I see normal auto rifles with a whopping 26 and dont even blink. Shotguns and Fusions that have 4 in the mag also seems the new normal. Bungie clearly wants you to spend most of your time reloading. And it takes stuff like hand cannons and machine guns about an hour and a half to reload, I think they slowed that down too.

Loot system is basically designed to be idiot proof, you WILL advance (rapidly) whether you like it or not. In about two days I'm already 274 light and that goes up inexorably every few minutes I play.

Also it's funny how the system notices your weakest link and gives you that. Oh my Ghost is low light and dragging me down? One of my next few drops is almost certainly a really awesome new Ghost...

I dont know, the flip side to all these is it reduces any happy feeling like you got lucky...any individual loot drop so far is rendered pretty meaningless as the progression system is just autopilot. But we'll see how endgame ends up feeling, that'll clearly be a different beast.

Taken are annoying as crap to fight...random shields so you cant really prep (arc for fallen, fire for hive, void for vex, before, and you cant prep anyway because you basically need to keep whatever is highest light on, regardless) and are usually fighting against a ironclad shield of a different element, so you might as well be using a pea shooter against harder shielded content, and it comes in waves of course. Teleports, titan bubbles, hard to see, ugly blah graphics, it's like they took everything annoying and put it into one enemy type that happens to be the one the expansion is built around.

All that negativity aside, as said it's still Destiny and still fun.

Managed to get to light 288. Felt a lot like starting over again. Only this time, there's a lot more things to do and it's a lot more confusing. Little side missions have little to no details on how to complete them. Luckily I had friends that knew what they were doing.

My recommendation for leveling up as quick as possible... play the highest level activities as you can and play as often as you can. Just keep equipping your highest level stuff and chances are you'll get higher level stuff. I've seen blue items as high as 296. Try to do quests that give you good loot like marks or legendary weapon/armor upgrades. Once you get to light 25x-26x, just keep doing the weekly heroic strikes. The first 3 times you do it for the week, you'll get the legendary mark rewards. After that, you'll just get loot (but usually pretty good loot). Doing the low level strike playlist is an easier alternative. If you come across legendary gear or weapons that you like the perks for but it is low level, keep it and infuse it with your higher level gear. The benefit of having legendary gear/weapons equipped vs blue stuff is that you usually get better perks and stats.

So far I'm liking the DLC. I played the last boss
Oryx
on the hardest setting when me and my buddies were only light 220-230 and it was by far the best mission we've played in the game. The boss battle was by far the best in the game for me.

Pumped for the raid. I have a team scheduled to do the raid, however I doubt many of the people in the group are going to be ready on time. Might be forced to look for randoms on our friends lists. But looking forward to it nonetheless.

I'm 283 light I think right this second...something like that. May slow down today as I feel like taking a bit of a break.

I wonder what light the raid will be recommended? I'm assuming 280 just because that's tower vendor gear. If so I'm already ready. But I really dont know.

I was angling for marks because when you're 270 or less that 280 vendor gear looks good, but now I'm wondering whats the point since I have blues over 290.

I'm starting to think marks are really more for infusing. I think all my gear is over 280 or close as is. So I guess pick (legendary) stuff with stats you like and infuse it?

I kinda feel like allowing blues to go so high was a mistep. It's confusing. They should have capped out at 270 or something. But maybe that would have messed up the infuse economy.

Just finished the nightfall, at the time I was 276 I think...ran it with one other guy 280 ish and a guy 240. Wasn't easy but not too bad either. Got 290 Hawkmoon, 2nd time I've got Hawkoon in TTK (1st time it was yr 1). And those are the only 2 exotics I've received so far. Hawkmoon runs out of ammo fast I see, it's one of THOSE primaries, like Vex.

Bungie has worked on making the game easily doable with one character and I applaud them. However I see one big advantage still remaining, the ability to run nightfall (and later raid) 3x...they should make nightfall provide rewards 3X account-wide and hell Raid too, just like other stuff now.

I'm also confused about crucible, I had everything perfectly setup for loadouts but now I think wearing that stuff will mean crucible drops are lame, since it's tied to your light level...

I also feel weird about dismantling old stuff I had worked so hard and long for. A lot of work down the drain in many cases. I haven't dismantled any old stuff yet really, but probably will start soon, but probably will keep old raid gear for nostalgia/whatever. At least I'm going to shard my many duplicate exotics (like 3X Ice Breaker etc). I'm already getting somewhat close to full weapon vault.

Nighstalker is actually pretty fun, still wondering how it will hold up in the "meta" of PVE. My first impression was that it might be weak compared to the other classes new subclasses, but too early to say. And just realized it has triple jump! That makes garden variety PVE more fun.

I will say I've kinda grown to love the little disappearing grenade (smoke grenade). Makes you feel like such a ninja badass to throw it at your feet and escape a tight situation. What makes it so much better than crouch invisibility is it's instant nature. I see a couple perks ahead not unlocked yet that contrary to my initial impressions of no powerful perks late in the tree, might actually be pretty powerful. The 3X shadowshot one and the lockdown one...

Also anybody noticed fusion rifles seem better again in PVE? I find myself using mine almost as my primary, there's so much special ammo around.

Last edited:
I'm 283 light I think right this second...something like that. May slow down today as I feel like taking a bit of a break.

I'm not even sure how that is possible. I've been playing every minute of my spare time and am at level 39 and light ~185. Do you play games for a living?

We're hardcore Destiny players. :)
Most of us prepared before TTK by storing bounties, public event packages etc., so we could level up to 40 as soon as TTK released. Starting at level 40 helps you progress faster because it allows you to use and receive higher level gear out of the gate. I had people on my friends list reach Light 280+ on day 1. Took me 2 days, but I wasn't leveling very smartly... I was mostly doing random quests with my buddy and mostly trying to farm legendary marks.

Last edited:
I'm not even sure how that is possible. I've been playing every minute of my spare time and am at level 39 and light ~185. Do you play games for a living?

Well, my job is such I have 4 days in the middle of the week off...that helps.

And yeah what skribbles said. Actually getting to 40 is as easy as having 16 bounties completed and 4-5 public event packages stored (I did this in the days beforehand as prep), then use that 50% Red Bull XP gain thingy (I had a few stored just for this). I had no idea it was so easy til I did my alt, he was 40 in about 30 seconds. You really dont even need many PE packages like I thought, just the bounties will mostly do it.

Then just run that level 36 strike playlist (then Vanguard heroic once you can), decrypt your grams one at a time and equip them if they raise your level, since the game is checking your light level and giving you better stuff based on your existing light level. you level fast. Of course do the main story in there if you want, that's only 2-3 hours.

I played probably 6-8 hours each day the first two days and was 270 some light by the end of the 2nd day, and that was VERY sloppy, you could do it much faster. Day 1 I didn't really know the "system" yet (I was wasting time chasing marks, not the way to do it). I bet you could level from 170 to 270 in 6-8 hours or less.

On to the game again, once again I'm really just not loving the upgrade system. It's confusing and...not clean.

I dont like that equipping weapons of different elements actually decreases your light. Feels like you're forced to use your highest stuff, even if you dont want to. So I feel like I need to keep my 296 Arc shotgun on even though I'd much rather be using my 270 solar sniper (just for an example).

Before, you just got what weapons you wanted and used them, since they didn't intrinsically affect anything.

Also, blues being better in many cases just feels weird and wrong.

Bungie keeps revamping the systems every single time, feels like they just throw stuff at the wall each time...

And the Dreadnaught sucks, I dont want to run around this stupid dreary confusing place and "explore" I hate exploring. Of course I dont really do that anyway, I just read the quests and on reddit what to do next.

And the strikes, they seem stupid hard in many cases now, and the Undying Mind is pretty terrible. Last time I played it I noticed everybody but me left at the start...like twice...guess Xboxers dont like this new strike LOL. Also, why are only like the 3 new strikes in the playlist (sunless cell, undying mind, and Tanniks is all I EVER get so far, incredibly repetitive, every time I start the playlist it's undying mind, again, for the 40th time already). Where are all the old strikes?
Again all that said, been playing like a banshee since TTK came out.

I don't even see anything to do at level 40. There is one daily strike mission which wants 240 light and one that is 280, I'm not close yet. There is two Vanguard strikes, one the old level 20 and another that is locked for difficulty. I seem to be in some gap that I can't figure out how to get out of. You can do the new content without light, you can't get light without doing the new content. I guess I'll just finish the story and hope the rewards boost my light?

I do have several quest for the crucible, but I have avoided it this long and don't plan on doing any PvP.

Bout to hit this raid! 289 light. 290 recommended. Close enough.

got 7 exotic helmet engrams from Xur and got 5 of the 6 TTK exotic hunter helms. Have them all except Nighthawk which I may try for again later.Thanks Bungie exotics loophole!

People have figured out how to abuse the three of coins thing already on Scourge of Winter, may try that later. Hard to say yet if it's one of those "more trouble than it's worth" cheeses.

I want...Boolean Gemeni cus I love scouts, and the new Suros, it looks so cool in black and seems like it could be awesome in PVP, it has a "spool up" feature now similar to Thunderlord where it shoots faster the longer you hold the trigger. I have around 125 marks, maybe I will buy it soon, dunno.

I hate Hawkmoon as a primary (been maining it since it's my highest light primary so far)....dont love the sound, the handcannon range nerf, the constant reloading and even running out of reserve ammo...I'm just not a hand cannon guy...cant wait to get a good 290+ Scout or Suros...

Enabling legendary/exotic Armor seems to take ages now and the normal experience from bounties hardly makes a difference. Really weird.

Hmm I haven't paid too much attention, it could be the combo of no nightfall XP bonus anymore and smaller bounties.

Perks seem like an afterthought now anyway, especially with gear changing every 30 seconds during this leveling process.

Did the raid, my LFG group got to the War Priest and had him SO close, like down to 1%, the next to last attempt. And that was with a group of people coming in 100% blind and figuring it out all on our own. Then some people had to go to work and the group broke up.

I guess I wont talk about other beginning parts in case somebody cares about spoilers.

Good to see a raid again though.

I'm at 290 light now, it definitely seems to slow down here, I haven't gotten a blue over 290 in a while. So I'm guessing that's just natural now. The raid weapons are dropping at 306-307 light according to reddit, so that sounds about right. Maybe a 300 cap normally, raid stuff goes over 300? Maybe hard raid stuff could get to 320?

Got 150 marks, REALLY thinking about buying that yr2 black Suros regime, even though it's probably not the best tactical move, ME WANTS. I do own a real life Suros T-shirt, after all.

Did some crucible for the daily marks with all my 290 gear and actually did ok for the first time, 8-7 on skirmish, I guess thx to now having year 2 knucklehead and a not-terrible scout rifle I was back in my comfort zone a bit. I'm kinda thinking screw my old plan of using all the old good gear. Probably I'll just use 290 stuff because, new.

No yr 2 Symbiote, that's gonna really hurt gunslingers in PVP...

Really enjoying the nightstalker class at this point. There's even rumors it's good/OP in crucible. I got a couple crucible kills with the super, I dont think it'll be as good as arc blade or golden gun but not totally useless. But everything else about the class like shadestep, some of the new exotics, seem like they could be OP. Mtashed has a video out claiming the ":sealed Ahkahamars grasp" or whatever hunter gauntlets+nightstalker=OP.

Damnit, just when the raid and Taken King in general hit full stride I'm out of time, 3 days of LONG shifts ahead, and only a couple hours before I have to hit the sack this evening.. Ahh well, I guess real life has to take precedence sometime. But I know I could probably beat the raid tmrw if only not for work...and when I'm back on Tuesday probably everybody will have beaten it.

Just looked and Destiny most viewed game on twitch right now. Never seen that.

Last edited:
So the campaign is very well done, but very short. There are a lot of missions left to do after the Taken King story is over. So I'm not sure how much new content there really is. It seems like there is enough. $40 is still pretty steep, but at least the content is very high quality, even better than the vanilla game.

Supposedly 125 quests in TTK I read somewhere. Some are pretty crap like "go do this strike' But I guess it gives an idea.

If you look at the game in total now including 3 raids and POE, I think you can comfortably say it's a lot of content.

Can't log in :( !

Got the Taukonaut helm and the STag yesterday. The Taukonaut is awesome, makes all Rocket launchers track targetsand RL kills give heavy ammo ! Maybe the best perk out there.

Want an exotic weapon now, but need to login for that.

How do I get that Exotic AR? Does anyone know? The Blue something.

Went into the raid with my group without watching any videos and got to the spider ogre after 3-4 hours then called it a night. We had 3 lvl ~290s, two ~280s and one lvl 262. All I got were shards and a ghost shell (which looks like a taken ghost.. pretty neat). One of my buddies got hooked up with a fusion rifle, rocket launcher and a ghost shell. No one got any armor yet.

So far I can already tell that I like this raid better than even VoG and that it will be longer than the previous 2. The stages are well thought out and very fun to play. Can't wait to get back into it tomorrow.

I cheated a bit today, used the 3 of coins exploit except on some other mission, something Decay...got two exotics in maybe ten tries before the Ultra stopped spawning for some reason (maybe Bungie foresaw this? Cause I doubt it could be patched so fast and silently). They were Lupi Crest (okay I guess) and some wrong class helmet I think. Not too exiting.

Another Ultra I just played normally gave me an exotic weapon Engram...got me excited...decrypted to Hawkmoon. My THIRD Hawkmoon already in TTK.

The new upgrade system continues to be...weird.

Also finally grabbed Suros Yr2 from the Kiosk...did OK with it in crucible but I didn't have the spinning up perk enabled yet...which seems like it could be OP, but I haven't heard complaining yet so maybe it's not.

Speaking of crucible I was AMAZED at the change once I found my niche with Mida/scout rifles, it just felt so natural. So I was thinking the same thing might happen with sidearms because I really dont love either shotguns or snipers, so I tried sidearm just for one match and yeah, think I'm gonna love it. Seems to blow people away at close range. I lose so many shotgun battles, sidearm could be awesome for me.

One exploit is you can buy any exotic that you have for 2500 glimmer and an exotic shard from the Kiosk...since I have 45 shards it's basically just 2500 glimmer, and I've been stuck around 25k glimmer since TTK launched. So yeah, that's basically an easy way to get anything to 280, at least. Just buy an exotic(s) of the category and infuse whatever you're wanting to upgrade.

Course 280 is no great shakes now, so probably limited utility.

Back