Destiny [PS3,X360,PS4,XO]

no you can buy 31 gear from vendors.

but you will have to grind a bit for it, for vanguard marks and levels. sounds like you're not interested.

The new Iron Banner seems crap, only 31 gear and only boots and gloves at that.

Too be compelling, it needs to be an alternative way to get the best gear in the game. That's what made it so compelling last time, 30 gear. In this case it needs to be 32 gear.

I guess if you're some kind of PVP only junkie you might rather get (partly) to 31 this way. But I dunno, I got to 31 fairly easily, so it's not like it's some hard goal.

Bungie made an update, you can now get helmets in normal raid.

I already grabbed a 36 exotic helm last week so this isn't really helpful for me.

But I guess all those classes Xur didn't sell a helm for last week, it's nice.

After reading this...

http://kotaku.com/destinys-biggest-flaw-1671385299

not sure I want to even attempt to start playing this anytime soon. :( I'm mainly a campaign & 2 person co-op player. Looks like I won't get to play all the story missions, especially since I only play on Xbox. May have to wait until it's out a year. :(

Tommy McClain
Nah he wants a fps based mmo, destiny isn't one. And imho he is basically wrong. It took way longer to get my gear in wow and it was replaced by new gear with each new expansion.

does WoW reset stuff by doing expansion every 3 months?

Btw today destiny got new patch that have lots of hidden fixes.
Husk of the pit is now can be dropped from Blades of Crota.
drop loot also seems increased (people flooding reddit with lots of raid gear happy post).

Guy I beat Crota with got the raid helmet today for the hunter... was pretty jealous. I got the rocket launcher so I'm pretty happy. I have 3 of the raid weapons already, and 2 pieces of raid gear (and a duplicate pair of boots). Still need a chest piece or helmet to reach 32.

Also picked up Husk of the pit patrolling the cosmodrome, which I believe is the necrochasm.

After reading this...

http://kotaku.com/destinys-biggest-flaw-1671385299

not sure I want to even attempt to start playing this anytime soon. :( I'm mainly a campaign & 2 person co-op player. Looks like I won't get to play all the story missions, especially since I only play on Xbox. May have to wait until it's out a year. :(

Tommy McClain
I felt this way about Destiny for quite some time. It also didn't help I had no home internet. Now that I did the trial I am hooked. I bought the retail Xbox one version for $30 and I have no regrets.
I am usually only a campaign guy like you Sir, but Destiny has opened my horizons.
Even if you do play solo you are never truly alone in Destiny. Community events literally fall from the sky at a moments notice. There are always other players in solo play throughs, but they never feel in the way.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah gonna play till drop this weekend. No sleep, just destiny and drive club. Before back out of town again in Monday

does WoW reset stuff by doing expansion every 3 months?

Btw today destiny got new patch that have lots of hidden fixes.
Husk of the pit is now can be dropped from Blades of Crota.
drop loot also seems increased (people flooding reddit with lots of raid gear happy post).

Nah but in WOW you work for more than a puny 3 months to get your gear, and raids took hours, the burning crusade did a gear reset that some (me for example) had worked on for almost 2 years.
Destiny even allows you to keep exotics, so you don't have to wait for another lucky drop or if XUR has the needed item.

As i see it, you have a month to get lvl 31 gear, then a month or 2 to get lvl 32 gear, than the next expansion hits, and you can do it all again. What does he want from the game? That it stops at lvl 30?
Screw that, i am happy that the nightfall is tough again, i am happy that i got new stuff todo, i got new goals to reach, and at lvl 31 i might even try the old raid with a 3 man group :)

And i find his critique of XUR stupid, usually every player tends to have the same gear, because they figure out was is best and get that gear. In Destiny you can differentiate yourself with pure cosmetic features and most do, and i do not own an icebreaker, yet grr. XUR is yet another roll of the dice and another way of making the content last, and another reason for doing something everyday..

TLDR: I think he got most of it wrong, from my view of course.

Finally got a crota clear. Some 14 year old "squeaker" as our sword user was pretty damn good, best I've seen yet anyway, usually could get 4 hits per down.

Got the gauntlets, so now like Skribbles I'm one piece away (Chest). This raid seems to drop a ton of what you need so I doubt I'll be waiting long.

The limiter is clearly gonna be shards...to get to 32 I'll need 21X3=63 shards. Right now have 6 shards (14 energy). With one missed chest and one full raid to go this week.

People can blast through this raid fast, just as I predicted. First part a doddle, 2nd part already cheesable in a matter of minutes...3rd part I see people skipping and grabbing Crota checkpoint. Crota granted takes a while for most groups but still, this raid will probably average something like 40 minutes before long.

Anyways for my clear I got the raid fusion rifle whatever it's called, the emblem and shader both of which are decently neat, I like the shader and the emblem functions as "look I beat the raid" for now, before everybody has it. And a couple shards I guess.

no you can buy 31 gear from vendors.

but you will have to grind a bit for it, for vanguard marks and levels. sounds like you're not interested.

Oh its that way, through vendors? I thought it would regular lelvel up, unlocked now till 30 and from there on u need gear .
Hmm....so need to visit the Vanguard? Any recommendations for Warlock Armour?

Finally got a crota clear. Some 14 year old "squeaker" as our sword user was pretty damn good, best I've seen yet anyway, usually could get 4 hits per down.

Got the gauntlets, so now like Skribbles I'm one piece away (Chest). This raid seems to drop a ton of what you need so I doubt I'll be waiting long.

The limiter is clearly gonna be shards...to get to 32 I'll need 21X3=63 shards. Right now have 6 shards (14 energy). With one missed chest and one full raid to go this week.

People can blast through this raid fast, just as I predicted. First part a doddle, 2nd part already cheesable in a matter of minutes...3rd part I see people skipping and grabbing Crota checkpoint. Crota granted takes a while for most groups but still, this raid will probably average something like 40 minutes before long.

Anyways for my clear I got the raid fusion rifle whatever it's called, the emblem and shader both of which are decently neat, I like the shader and the emblem functions as "look I beat the raid" for now, before everybody has it. And a couple shards I guess.
Is the hard mode unlocked?

Oh its that way, through vendors? I thought it would regular lelvel up, unlocked now till 30 and from there on u need gear .
Hmm....so need to visit the Vanguard? Any recommendations for Warlock Armour?
Just pick armor that has the perks you want/like (e.g. extra ammo for Auto rifles, if those are your thing, etc) and also the Stats (intellect, discipline, strength) you want/need. Other than that, which armor you choose doesn't matter because they all have the same light level.

Yeah, you'll only have two choices from the vendor for each part. I go for armor with intellect/discipline if possible. 2nd thing is perks, if it carries extra ammo for the weapons i use more. For example extra ammo for scout rifles is a more useful perk to me than extra ammo from auto rifles, since I use the former mainly.

Expanding on shards, quick calculation says raid has two chests known currently, plus 3 loot points. If you get avg of 2 mats per point/chest, that's 10 for a full raid. Say over time it averages 50/50 shards/energy, you will average 5 shards per raid.

With two Chars I'll average 10 shards per week. It will take me something like 6 weeks to get the 63 shards needed for level 32, even with my 6 in hand.

I guess if you dismantle raid gear you will get another 2 shards? Once I'm fully geared I'll be sharding dupes. This could help. Maybe more chests will be found. Anybody else have thoughts?

A third char would have helped here...

About that vendor scout rifle, was going to buy it but started thinking...

It's likely about 10% better damage than VoC (just going off a rough 331 vs 300 calculation). BUT it's a 19 mag (said skribbles). VoC is 27.

10% less damage and 8 more shots is probably a wash at worst. So, maybe no reason to drop 150 marks?

If true that vendor guns can no longer have field scout, that's a pretty big nerf to vendor arms.

Edit: I think I might be wrong, you must get more than avg of two mats per chest/loot. Because I've only run the raid not even 3 full times (never cleared crota before today) and already have 20 mats. So the average is well above 2 per chest/loot for me so far.

So that six weeks could be closer to 3-4. Hell if I still ran 3 chars, probably doable in 2.

I dont think I've seen a 32 in the wild yet, but based on my calculations I bet they'll be showing up in the next week or two.

Last edited:
In the CE raid, I favor DPS. I'll use fatebringer for the first section, then switch to the vendor scout rifle. Sadly, my trusty VoC will probably only get used in VoG (which I don't do often but get invited to from time to time) or solar burn missions.

As for radiant shards, I've got 33 for completing the CE raid about 4 times and getting the first chest on my third character twice. Also have 12 or 14 radiant energy. I'll probably trade at least 7 energy for shards because I want to hit level 32 before I max out my raid weapons.

Also loving the raid weapons. They're better than the VoG weapons were IMO. I wasn't a fan of the sniper initially, but it's pretty much made for bosses that don't move much. The clip automatically refills if you get 3 consecutive crits and it has slightly more impact than icebreaker.

Last edited:
Damn skribbles is now more hardcore than me :( that no 3rd character thing is killing me :)

You have to be crotas bane level 4 to trade energy for shards right?

Yeah the black hammer, i see now that it is only great for certain bosses. archon, devil walker, sepiks prime...

As i expected it's still not overall anywhere near as good as ice breaker.

Having 330 weapons is clearly not that important. As I kind of expected. I see the majority of people in the raid (including myself) still running good ol' Vision of Confluence.

What say you Skribbles is that vendor scout worth buying over 300, 27 mag VoC?

I hardly bought anything from the vendor last time, drops tend to be better. And it looks like it's going to work out the same way again for Dark Below. I'd rather use my marks on resources. Or heck, maybe occasionally buying 33 gear to shard it.

You do get shards for dismantling 33 gear right?

If you already have 33 shard Skribs that accelerates my projected timeline for people to be 32 even more. Guess I have just been unlucky. Also I only have one raid clear so far (have done parts of two others). And I think I've been missing the chests a lot too.

I will say there are times on Crotas End I realize what a fantastic game this can be. 6 people working together to bring down a new boss is just great stuff. There is no other FPS that even comes close to what this game is doing in a lot of ways.

Last edited:
Damn skribbles is now more hardcore than me :( that no 3rd character thing is killing me :)

Yeah the black hammer, i see now that it is only great for certain bosses. archon, devil walker, sepiks prime...

Having 330 weapons is clearly not that important. As I kind of expected. I see the majority of people in the raid (including myself) still running good ol' Vision of Confluence.

I hardly bought anything from the vendor last time, drops tend to be better. And it looks like it's going to work out the same way again for Dark Below. I'd rather use my marks on resources. Or heck, maybe occasionally buying 33 gear to shard it.

If you already have 33 shard Skribs that accelerates my projected timeline for people to be 32 even more. Guess I have just been unlucky. Also I only have one raid clear so far (have done parts of two others). And I think I've been missing the chests a lot too.

I will say there are times on Crotas End I realize what a fantastic game this can be. 6 people working together to bring down a new boss is just great stuff. There is no other FPS that even comes close to what this game is doing in a lot of ways.

You're forgetting that Black hammer hits HARDER than Ice breaker. As long as the enemy staggers, Black hammer is invaluable.

I finally got a semi decent reward from the Nightfall strike - Suros Regime. Not a bad weapon at all, but an exotic primary is kind of inconvenient when you're also packing an exotic special or heavy weapon. Still, I'm not bitching. It's a cool weapon. A guy on my fire team was rocking a Gjallarhorn, and holy hell that thing seems to hit way harder than my Truth (which hits way harder than all of scrub legendary rocket launchers I've used so far). I can't wait to get my hands on one.

Also, my Warlock is about two shards away from lvl 31, then I'll be ready for Scrota's End, LOL!

I don't manage/use my third character anymore... I pretty much only run 2 characters. I finally used my third character after weeks without, just to get loot from the first chest. He's only level 28 now because I took all of his maxed armor away.
Managing 3 characters is something I'm not interested in doing anymore.

Yes. Once I hit level 4, I'm trading in most of my energies for shards.

I would have to agree with that. I'll mostly use black hammer on bosses where you can get easy crits. I'll still use icebreaker more often.

I used it on the devil walker public event and the tank from that one mars strike and I could just sit there and fire unlimited bullets.

My vendor scout is maxed and it does noticeably more damage in CE. It's not essential to buy a 330 weapon, but I'm never worried about having insufficient marks, so I went ahead and bought it.

AFAIK, you only get ascendant shards.

I have both of my raid pieces upgraded twice and I have 5 shards. So if my maths is right, that's 33. That's from 4 completions and 2 chests opened using my third character.

Agreed. The raids in Destiny are some of the best gaming moments I've ever experienced. Beating the Templar, Atheon and Crota for the first time were some of the most rewarding moments I've had in video games. They're especially fun if you play with people you regularly play with, which I often do.

Last edited:
djskribbles,
Which vendor scout rifle are you referring to? The Vanguard Q-master has two scout rifles for sale.

Back