Destiny 2

Fair enough.

But consider that even though Bungie dropped PS3/X360 support, they are, in a way, supporting more platforms than before -- while still supporting D1 up until earlier this year. Also, X1X doesn't even release until November, so perhaps they're not even at a stage yet where they can confirm 4K (even though I think it's pretty much guaranteed). Not to mention the game is still in development. Who knows, maybe they're still optimizing to get Pro up to 4K.
They've got 20 days to beta, and 2.3 months to launch. 4 week cert on all platforms.
Beta is sent in for cert probably last week, network test for the beta, then 1.3 months to launch.
Being realistic, if they are struggling to reach 4K on 4Pro today, the situation doesn't bode well for 1X enhanced version at launch.

They've got 20 days to beta, and 2.3 months to launch. 4 week cert on all platforms.
Beta is sent in for cert probably last week, network test for the beta, then 1.3 months to launch.
Being realistic, if they are struggling to reach 4K on 4Pro today, the situation doesn't bode well for 1X enhanced version at launch.
Isn't optimization the last step of development? A few months of development time for optimization is a pretty long time, no? Not saying they're still optimizing for Pro, just suggesting that it's a possibility.

And X1X is still over 4 months away, so I don't think it's high on their priority list right now. Shouldn't take long to get X1X running at 4K/30.

And I don't disagree, in the past there was not enough information to determine if it was forced parity or developers had an unambitious target on all hardwares. I couldn't prove it.

Because you can prove something with Destiny 2 ? A game that is not even out yet ?

Is the game confirmed HDR compatible? If not then big missed opportunity since it alone would make the game look much better than simply rendering at 4k.

I don't think the state of the PS4-P version has any bearing on the XBO-X version. Assuming it runs at 900p or 1080p on XBO, a simple increase in resolution will net them 4k on XBO-X with minimal effort.

It likely has more to do with their Sony partnership and them not being allowed to confirm 4k on XBO-X until X date has passed. I'd be extremely shocked if it didn't have 4k out of the box when XBO-X hits the market.

Now, if XBO-X comes out and it doesn't support 4k, then either Bungie are massively inept programmers or something else is going on. But until (if) that happens, I'm just assuming it'll be 4k (either native or checkerboard, doesn't matter) on XBO-X.

Regards,
SB

I don't think the state of the PS4-P version has any bearing on the XBO-X version. Assuming it runs at 900p or 1080p on XBO, a simple increase in resolution will net them 4k on XBO-X with minimal effort.

It likely has more to do with their Sony partnership and them not being allowed to confirm 4k on XBO-X until X date has passed. I'd be extremely shocked if it didn't have 4k out of the box when XBO-X hits the market.

Now, if XBO-X comes out and it doesn't support 4k, then either Bungie are massively inept programmers or something else is going on. But until (if) that happens, I'm just assuming it'll be 4k (either native or checkerboard, doesn't matter) on XBO-X.

Regards,
SB
I had a chance to sleep on it and I've moved a bit from last nights position.

In the Dark Knight there is a scene where Alfred says to Bruce I told you I was right, and when that day happens Alfred said but I don't want to be right.

and that's how I feel about this situation. I don't want to be right, I'd rather be wrong, and play D2 @ 4K with HDR and ideally assets.

But expectations keep dropping here; HDR there's been no official statement on support. PC version is delayed from console launch, no official statement on Scorpio support either.

Another scenario of
retailers. *Timed exclusive content until at least Fall 2018.
at least, the minimal time frame of timed exclusive content, which I assume hinges highly on fast Bungie can put out newer content again.

All of this concerning, because it has nothing to do with Sony. It sounds like they are barely meeting their contractual obligation, bungie seems to be having issues delivering this title and are prioritizing work accordingly. The delay on PC and the lack of HDR is most telling.

I doubt there is anything in Sony's contract that specifies being unable to announce support for platforms, I've never heard of such clauses nor do I believe Sony would do it. So this is resting with Bungie here, they are behind which is a fairly logical reason for all of these symptoms.

They are now only 'evaluating' 4K for Scorpio when 4K is confirmed on 4Pro

Except companies are now calling checkerboard 4k, "4k". Bungie could well mean checkerboard 4k on PS4 Pro (given the very few true 4k titles on Pro, it actually seems more likely). Which would leave space for X1X (resolution wise) to be either equal, or better in some way (maybe up to true 4k instead of checkerboard). But, do you really think X1X version is going to be 1080P? Cause I am nearly 100% sure that's not the case.

Further, MS involvement aside, Bungie gave you parity last time around even though XB1 is less powerful. So even if they deliver X1X:pSpro parity this time, it would just be analogous to what they did with D1.

Except companies are now calling checkerboard 4k, "4k". Bungie could well mean checkerboard 4k on PS4 Pro (given the very few true 4k titles on Pro, it actually seems more likely). Which would leave space for X1X (resolution wise) to be either equal, or better in some way (maybe up to true 4k instead of checkerboard). But, do you really think X1X version is going to be 1080P? Cause I am nearly 100% sure that's not the case.

Further, MS involvement aside, Bungie gave you parity last time around even though XB1 is less powerful. So even if they deliver X1X:pSpro parity this time, it would just be analogous to what they did with D1.
Don't really care about 4K vs 4KCBR, to me it looks nearly the same, at least from what I saw of Anthem, good enough for me.
Do I really think 1X version is going to be 1080p?
At launch Nov 7, I'm leaning towards no HDR no 1X version.

I don't why you guys are panicking. The chances that the 1X won't receive a nice D2 patch are next to zero. They already confirmed that the Pro runs it at 4K - already relatively rare to get that info before launch.
D2 on 1X will be in 4K. Stop worrying. They haven't talked about it because they've been busy, and the 1X literally officially launched 3 minutes ago. Stop worrying.

Personally I have no issues with CBR and think it's a smart use of the hardware in many cases.

So I take it we have no idea what the pro is yet, or what their aiming for?
4kcb (2160p), 1800cb? From my perspective it would be a shame if it wasn't using CBR on the pro unless they was unable to implement it well, as then I would be expecting 1400p native.

I don't why you guys are panicking. The chances that the 1X won't receive a nice D2 patch are next to zero. They already confirmed that the Pro runs it at 4K - already relatively rare to get that info before launch.
D2 on 1X will be in 4K. Stop worrying. They haven't talked about it because they've been busy, and the 1X literally officially launched 3 minutes ago. Stop worrying.
Resolution is pretty low on my concerns.
I think if there's things like 4k assets on pc and they don't use them that's of a greater concern.

Personally, I'm pretty sure that this game is heavily CPU bound most times. That's why they said it runs at 30fps. So they should be able to push the res pretty high.

So far, no. Just silence on the topic.
I just don't understand why the silence on HDR tho, it's not even a fraction as hard as trying to get it up to 4k is it? With the amount of dev resources and budget Bungie has, shouldn't that be a piece of cake or am I missing something in the whole process?

Last edited:
Maybe it was a clash with their cartoony art direction?

But then... Uncharted 4 and horizon also cartoony but works fine with HDR. Heck, horizon looks too washed out in SDR

IGN will be showing the new Social space "The farm" today as part of IGN first series. Dont know the time but anytime today.

Sent from my SM-N920G using Tapatalk

Back