Derek Wilson of Anandtech...

Discussion in 'Graphics and Semiconductor Industry' started by Farid, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Kombatant

Regular

I've done Microelectronics in the Uni, and let me assure you; if you think where it all begins (0s and 1s, logical gates) and where it ends (the nice CPU/GPU you have sitting in your computer), the in-between is truly mind-boggling.

2. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

true, current hardware is lightyears from the stuff we made at school.. we were actually happy to create a circuit board with a small display and switches which added and subtracted.. it was still single digit but how long did it take? hours.. man hours.. drawing and designing the board by hand.. etching the circuit board in the machine and then applying all the resistors, capacitators and the ic itself.. [​IMG]

3. Kombatant

Regular

heh, yeah i know; those were the days :p

4. Xmas

Xmas Porous
    Veteran Subscriber

I don't read many reviews, but those I've seen do mention the drawbacks. They don't give them too much weight, though, which is understandable IMO. What sells SLI in the high end is the "coolness factor", having the fastest hardware. (Warning, car analogy ahead!) When you read reviews sports cars, they'll probably mention fuel consumption, low comfort, etc. But that's not what makes the product interesting, and it obviously doesn't bother potential buyers.

I don't think anyone installing a SLI setup is not aware of the drawbacks.

5. Deathlike2

Regular

I disagree somewhat. There will still be a portion of the buyers that are still uninformed only to find out the reality of those drawbacks that SLI has... It happens with any product.. kinda like the original Audigy "supporting 24-bit audio".. which isn't completely true. The basic idea of SLI is to increase performance and crank up AA/AF... but that is with some caviats... and most likely those buyers won't realize until they finally use it... most of these kinds of problems of perception are really marketing related though...

#105 Deathlike2, Feb 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2006
  6. nelg

Veteran

Also analogous to that is the amount of attention that high end cars get in the media compared to their market share. To further what DemoCoder wrote, the interest in high end products will always be far greater than their market penetration. From the media standpoint that is reason enough to write about them.

7. Entropy

Veteran

First off, I'm sorry if I offended you with my simplistic description.
    Suffice to say that we all want positive relationships with those who we work with, and that in some cases we are obviously going to find ourselves with people we really appreciate. What I was saying on a personal level was that it may not be wise to invest too much in professional relationships, particularly with people whose job it is to develop good relations. Enough there, we're both aware of the grey zone, and you're an adult.

The more important point was that technical journalists/reporters have a more personal real life relationship with representatives of the commercial interests, than with their largely faceless readers.

Your interpretation is your own. I pointed out two of these three points, and since you added the third yourself, I won't avoid it
    1. The commercial interests and the press (including online) have largely common interests in keeping the attention of consumers/readers.
    2. Representatives of the press have a more intimate relationship with the commercial interests and those whose actions they report on than with their readers.
    3. Who pays your bills? This was the blunt point I didn't bring up, but since you made some referral to it yourself, I can add it. And it really is a major point as far as ultimate loyalty is concerned.

Given this, anyone is free to draw their own conclusions as to whose interests trade reporters ultimately serve.

Now, the picture isn't as pitch black as all that, because as you quite correctly point out the readers are important to the press because their numbers determine ad revenue.

Heh. I note that you say that you are more responsive to your readers than to the manufacturers and conveniently avoid mentioning the advertisers. :)
    Be that as it may, your comment above is a fair point.

In truth, what I wanted to get at is that too much of the discussion of websites and their reporting is about whether they report fairly on nVidia vs. ATI, AMD vs. Intel, et cetera. What I would like readers to do is be more aware and active in the more fundamental relationship sellers vs. buyers. Rather than ask themselves or you the question "which is best, X or Y?". I'd like readers to go "these things that X and Y are pushing - are they really something I should care about?" or "both X and Y seem to want to sell me variations on that but what I would really want is this. I want to you to put the light on this issue!".

In short, I don't blame the world for being what it is, I just want people to be aware of it so that they don't get fooled by unreasonable expectations, and might actually use their knowledge to push it in a more fruitful direction! The readers should more aware of, and active with, their ultimate power - their mouseclicks and their money, and never support that which doesn't really work in their best interests.

You misrepresent my position a bit.
    My background is in science (computational chemistry). I am seriously middle aged. (Old and bitter ;))
    No, they are not evil for that. But they serve the interests of the seller. Not the buyer.
    And in this business, I belong to the consumer group, and in this case I argue from that perspective.

8. martrox

martrox Old Fart
    Veteran

I have some good news, Entropy......at some point senility will set in, then you'll be old and happy.....;)