Derek Wilson of Anandtech...

Discussion in 'Graphics and Semiconductor Industry' started by Farid, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Farid

Farid Artist formely known as Vysez
    Veteran Subscriber

Link to the 7300 Write-up

The second page starts with:
    Just to continue with this:
    According to Anandtech, 90nm process = 90nm transistor gate lengths.

Why couldn't just they keep at the stupid generalities + stupid benchmarks that should compose their articles?

Oh, and before someone says something like "why didn't you shoot an email to Derek pointing his mistake, instead of posting a sarcastic thread about it?".
    Remember that I hate Anandtech.
    So, no need to ask my negativity toward all things Anand.

Hell, no need to ask about my negativity, period. :twisted:

2. fallguy

Veteran

I dont hate AT.. but their video reviews have gone down hill. They dont even use AF anymore. How can someone review a 650+ video card, and not use AF? Ugh.

3. karlotta

karlotta pifft
    Veteran

whats the color of money?

digitalwanderer likes this.
  4. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

GREEN!!!! :lol:

OMG! That just sounds so me! ;)

5. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Wow!!! Nvidia is paying off Anandtech, HardOCP, Firingsquad, Futuremark, Ubisoft, Epic and Id and still manage to post a profit with record margins? Dang, they must be doing something else on the side besides selling video cards :lol:

6. digitalwanderer

Legend

Nah, you'd be surprised at just how cheap it is to buy some people. ;)

7. karlotta

karlotta pifft
    Veteran

Well just being there for them from the begining is big. I always felt the suits of NVDA where better at getting what they want from the suits at the publishers. And the dev support from NVDA has been going on alot longer at some dev houses. Then add in the morons on some websites who cant see past the swag and early card teases... meh

8. ANova

Veteran

Yes, that's why ninety somewhat percent of todays games have the TWIMTBP branding regardless of how they actually play on either hardware. Companies don't advertise for other companies because they ask nicely.

9. ben6

Regular

U

Well, actually they shipped GeForce 6150 on 90 nanometer and mobile 7300 and 7600 before 7300 desktop

10. Sharkfood

Regular

They do.. they sell mainboard chipsets, high-end opengl workstation support and development consulting.

11. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Because no one has benchmarks for this card for the simple reason that no one has the card. Poor guys were forced to stretch. :lol: The 7300 "launch" was as good an example as there is of the online press engaged in "relationship maintenance". No boards, last minute notification, paltry documentation, no one reading can buy one, and a low-end board that 99% of them don't give a rat's ass about with the slight exception of the fact that it is a 90nm desktop part from NV.

Not that "relationship maintenance" is inappropriate, btw, all by itself. In any relationship both sides need to get at least their minimum reasonable needs taken care of, or a divorce is in the works. :wink:

#11 Geo, Jan 21, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2006
  12. ben6

Regular

Well to be fair to Anandtech, we were briefed the day before on 7300. I did not do a write-up for precisely that reason. I think you'll find a few rushed things happening next week as well.

13. digitalwanderer

Legend

Now this wouldn't be do in part to ATi's upcoming launch of their part that is already retail available, would it? ;)

14. Razor1

Veteran

Yes but thats not pay off its co marketing, you have a great game, we will help you show it off since we will be at the presentation show with our computers, you just have to stick our label on your box, how about AMD + Far Cry? Or Intel promoting with Unreal Engine 3 with thier small game demo. Everyone does it to some degree.

Companies co advertise when they see there is a general advantage to both sides. It always comes from both side. It reduces costs on two fronts and increases sales. Thats good business.

15. ANova

Veteran

Yes but then you have the likes of [H] and Epic who favor nvidia whenever the phrase 'graphics card' is mentioned, and have had for a long time. This suggests more then just a mutual co-advertising agreement.

16. nutball

Veteran Subscriber

By that yardstick three-quarters of the posters on this board are getting back-handers from ATI. :wink:

17. Arty

Arty KEPLER
    Veteran

You havent been paying attention lately. ;)

18. Rys

Rys PowerVR
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

Yeah, most of us are on XGI's payroll now.

19. Blacklash

Newcomer

Perhaps it may be hard to believe, and some of us aren't part of an "outreach program" posing as "average joe", haven't received free hardware( and been sworn to secrecy about it), or any other form of compensation.

BTW, I have zero criticism for on the table upfront promotional pushes by corporations.

20. Razor1

Veteran

I really don't think so, [H] was very pro ATi when the r300 showed up, specially after the fx flop. There could be likness towards one company but it all depends who's on top, thier reviews aren't really slanted. I just look at the numbers, don't really read thier articles :wink:. But anyways I think its more of a disappointment factor, if I was expecting something to be really great, and I finally get it, and it turns out to be OK as good as something else I could have bought a while back, I would be alittle hard on it too.

And Epic, I don't think they are really in bed with nV that much, other then getting to test pre release hardware possibly. Sweeny said the g70 was going to be faster, for the most part it was against a 500 mhz x1800, which that was ATi's prerelease cards.

#20 Razor1, Jan 22, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2006